Recently got fired at work. Any advice?

The True HD

Billionaire
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Loudy | 🇯🇲
Breh, you're valuable. Everything's gonna be alright. Relax your mind, Release the tension/disappointment, Reset your focus, Readjust your goals & game plan based on this change, then Reapply yourself.

This has less to do with you and more to do with Drake.... working in Canada, you the only black man out of a hundred.... they definitely thought you took Dot's side in the beef & the Not Like US video release was the straw that broke the camel's back.

You should book a trip to Cali :ehh:

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
word. Money aint an issue. The severance is 6 figures before tax...and I have about 200K saved with no debt.
Plus employment insurance should be able to cover my rent once the severance period ends

That being said I dont wanna eat into my savings in any kinda way

Start getting your unemployment right away and hit the ground running with applications

Nah take a vacation and relax then regroup when you get back. The last time I wasn't working I wish I took some time before looking for jobs again I almost burnt myself out trying to stress for no reason.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Sorry to hear this breh. May I ask, as a fellow accountant, what made you dip out on the profession?
I discovered a few years into school that I had more interest in finance. Found the work more interesting + felt it would be more rewarding financially.
And honestly it was. Up until that new individual joined my team and took it over, I really loved my job

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
what have you got to lose running that by an attorney? especially assuming you haven't collected unemployment or accepted another position yet
based on my googles its nothing i can do. sigh...now i feel like i shoulda hired the counsel to negotiate

:snoop:

truth is i just didnt wanna drag it out and risk severing a relationship i had with my old boss in case i need a reference from him. lawyer told me i would have to pay an extra $10K minimum to get them to negotiate but that it was about a 50% chance of me winning an extra 50K based on what he understood

When I got fired from the USPS I started to question my existence. Blood sweat and tears and fired me because I hurt a supervisors feelings (amongst other things. But I was a damned good worker). You may not want to hear this but at least you some time to yourself. Figure some shyt out, decompress, garner clarity, all that corny shyt.
i know that feeling

Last edited:

The Villain

Superstar
Daps
If you can afford it take a month and chill. NCAA25 about to come out. Spend some time w/ family/friends.

After that you'll be bored and clearheaded enough to really want to get back in the field.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
If you can afford it take a month and chill. NCAA25 about to come out. Spend some time w/ family/friends.

After that you'll be bored and clearheaded enough to really want to get back in the field.
first month just ended friday breh. considering ncaa 25 though

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Nah take a vacation and relax then regroup when you get back. The last time I wasn't working I wish I took some time before looking for jobs again I almost burnt myself out trying to stress for no reason.
This a different market. The average time to find a job nowadays averages six months.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
its a long story man. I honestly dont really know. They would say performance and I dont wanna make excuses but I feel like thats a cop out cause on my team I did arguably the most work last year and it was quality work. From a performance standpoint I mightve made some clerical errors but nothing crazy enough. My performance manager thought I deserved a normal performance rating but was overruled by the head of the team I barely work with and I was given the lowest tier rating. I barely even work with the head cause he was based in the UK.

Long story short though i fukked up in two ways

1) I called out somebody on my team for certain biases inhow they recruit or view certain job candidates.
2) I let it slip out during a meeting with the head of the team that i feel like I cant be myself at work (i was the only black person out of ~100 ppl).

Seems like a target was put on me as a result

File a discrimination suit. In the meanwhile try to become a content creator, talk about your career and whatnot

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I’m in the same boat you are. Got let go from my job of 10+ years. Was devastated at first but I had a sizable amount of savings so I basically just took a summer vacation to get my mind right and spend time with my kids :manny:
what do you do? hows the outlook