Recently got fired at work. Any advice?

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
its a long story man. I honestly dont really know. They would say performance and I dont wanna make excuses but I feel like thats a cop out cause on my team I did arguably the most work last year and it was quality work. From a performance standpoint I mightve made some clerical errors but nothing crazy enough. My performance manager thought I deserved a normal performance rating but was overruled by the head of the team I barely work with and I was given the lowest tier rating. I barely even work with the head cause he was based in the UK.

Long story short though i fukked up in two ways

1) I called out somebody on my team for certain biases inhow they recruit or view certain job candidates.
2) I let it slip out during a meeting with the head of the team that i feel like I cant be myself at work (i was the only black person out of ~100 ppl).

Seems like a target was put on me as a result

Firstly, never EVER lose yourself in a job. Don't care if it's a "dream job" or not. That is the first mistake. I can give a fukk about work culture, alot of times it can make co-workers use it as a weapon because now it can hamper your work performance just so you can "fit in". Be yourself more, even if it rubs people the wrong way. Others may say different, but it is what it is. When you are yourself, you show authority to the higher ups, and you perform better with your clients. Not sure if you do a customer facing role, but let your clients talk good about you. Let your work speak for yourself and your clients write good things about you. That gives you more leverage in a work situation

The goal should always to have your superiors respect you, and could care less if they like you. And for your peers at work, if they don't like you, fukk em. I personally never see co-workers as allies, usually see them as adversaries

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
way too many people try to make the quick turn around and just.... don't make level headed calls about what to do next. if they don't want you around and you get paid to leave? good for you. for real.

and stay flexible :manny: way too many of my friends turned down great opportunities because they were only looking for perfect ones. enjoy the time off, do whatever it is you've been putting off (everyone's putting off something due to work), and just let things settle.
ima have to. The type of job I had is pretty scarce in Canada; in America is a different story.
As a result I may be willing to take less money and transfer my skills to a diff field.Seems like employers are mad selective though

CrushedGroove

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
its a long story man. I honestly dont really know. They would say performance and I dont wanna make excuses but I feel like thats a cop out cause on my team I did arguably the most work last year and it was quality work. From a performance standpoint I mightve made some clerical errors but nothing crazy enough. My performance manager thought I deserved a normal performance rating but was overruled by the head of the team I barely work with and I was given the lowest tier rating. I barely even work with the head cause he was based in the UK.

1) I called out somebody on my team for certain biases inhow they recruit or view certain job candidates.
2) I let it slip out during a meeting with the head of the team that i feel like I cant be myself at work (i was the only black person out of ~100 ppl).

If I'm not in a hiring/managerial position, or asked to review potential teammates, then I would not call out people for those types of biases. I'd get in position to make those decisions myself.

You also should never expect to be able to be your full self at work. Your workplace has a culture it established, your qualities and abilities fit the culture, personalities are just the seasonings.

I've wanted to have more of us in my team so I come up with questions for my boss to ask in interviews. He liked them and asked me to join the interviews to ask them myself. This gave me an opportunity to get my own perspective of the candidates and provide my notes. This is a better approach than voicing my feelings, and more productive.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps

Remember reading this comment on a youtube video about being black in Corporate America. Long story short, always keep a portfolio of all the work you've done.

Last edited:

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Firstly, never EVER lose yourself in a job. Don't care if it's a "dream job" or not. That is the first mistake. I can give a fukk about work culture, alot of times it can make co-workers use it as a weapon because now it can hamper your work performance just so you can "fit in". Be yourself more, even if it rubs people the wrong way. Others may say different, but it is what it is. When you are yourself, you show authority to the higher ups, and you perform better with your clients. Not sure if you do a customer facing role, but let your clients talk good about you. Let your work speak for yourself and your clients write good things about you. That gives you more leverage in a work situation

The goal should always to have your superiors respect you, and could care less if they like you. And for your peers at work, if they don't like you, fukk em. I personally never see co-workers as allies, usually see them as adversaries
Kinda feel like this mentality is ulitmately what got me canned.

When I first joined the company they really championed being vocal. I managed to get promoted within about 12-16 months as a result of putting in good work and being vocal. However, my boss who basically started the team was then supplanted by a new hire who was now leading the team from the UK. I didnt build a good relationship and the culture, process, strategy changed in a way where my abilities and outspokeness were no longer valued if that makes sense.

My boss literally once told me I was the 'Quarterback' of the team. Once that new dude was hired though it started going kinda downhill

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
ima have to. The type of job I had is pretty scarce in Canada; in America is a different story.
As a result I may be willing to take less money and transfer my skills to a diff field.Seems like employers are mad selective though
if i can only say more one thing - its do not fukking self-eliminate due to online dialogues about what job sector is going through whatever friction/squeeze....

people on the outside looking in never work with the full picture, and more than that - everyone's goal should be to stand out or be exceptional in the first place

maybe you're the rockstar or innovator or perfect fit. you'll never figure it out if you let some folks who browse 2-minute reads or less articles on linkedin dictate what you should strive for or how you market yourself.

i can't speak to your exact situation but people get let go and forced out for all kinds of reasons. that bullseye could've been on you years ago for all you know lol. either way, just reset and do yourself the favor of making your next moves great moves with some quality time off. :manny:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
when keeping it real goes wrong I'm guessing is the vid
trust me, i have thought about this myself

like I said, I let the black comment slip out - i regretted it immediately
@Born2BKing man fought racism and lost, any advice?

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
word. Money aint an issue. The severance is 6 figures before tax...and I have about 200K saved with no debt.
Plus employment insurance should be able to cover my rent once the severance period ends

That being said I dont wanna eat into my savings in any kinda way

Man you should easily be good even if you took 3 months off.

I'd definitely take a couple weeks vacay

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas

I'm in the same boat. I'm the only black male. "Performance" issues. Constantly being harassed at work. Can't even corporately defend myself. I don't have talk much due to lack of corporate vernacular. My boss is about to let me go though.

This is my first job where I was placed on PIP. Do they give you severance when you're let go?

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I'm in the same boat. I'm the only black male. "Performance" issues. Constantly being harassed at work. Can't even corporately defend myself. I don't have talk much due to lack of corporate vernacular. My boss is about to let me go though.

This is my first job where I was placed on PIP. Do they give you severance when you're let go?
they do. how long have you been at the firm?

one thing I forgot to mention was that I was under a lot of stress last year. I was fighting a court case over some bs and that probably affected my performance/mentality to a degree. case was finally withdrawn this February but it lasted like 9 months

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps

you kept it real! :sas2:

AlbertPullhoez

The Takeover
Daps
Reppin
Deuce Dime, TX
nas-letsgetit.gif