Recently got fired at work. Any advice?

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I have to be honest it is difficult to move laterally once you get to a certain point. You may have to work a step or two down in position and work your way back up. Especially if other places will call your previous job and mention attention to detail as a point of emphasis. But you seem to have some savings so take your time.
yup. it feels that way @ the bolded

They looked for a reason to get rid of you and found it. Take the severance + cash out whatever vacation days you had stacked + move your 401k if they even offered that.

At least you have a good amount of $ saved which is way better than most people. What part of Canada are you in? Tons of finance related job options in Montreal since there are banks there.
Located in Toronto
Been applying to accounting roles but getting rejected. Interviewed for the exact same job i had at a different firm and aint even make it past the first round despite answering a lot of the questions they asked perfectly

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
10+ yrs ago, I worked under a horrible boss...she didn't train me, didn't develop me...worse part was she developed this white girl instead of helping us both grow. My boss restructured the dept, I was let go.

I found a good job at a small college for 2+ yrs. Then went to DC and really took my career super seriously. I went from Coordinator to Mgr to Asst Director to Director in 6 yrs.

The employer that let me go brought me back to be finance director at a billion dollar school 3 yrs ago. I killed that shyt. Got offered to be Vice Dean of a whole School just this yr.

The avg age for ppl in my position is mid-50s...I did it in my 30s

And I love to know I proved my boss from earlier in my career wrong

Black man, CFO...overcame the odds...there's always light at the end of the tunnel

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
when i got my negative performance review I was asked to reach out to HR and ask for resources and shyt. I asked if I was being put on a PIP and the coward said I wasnt. Only for HR to tell me i was put on a PIP earlier when they terminated me
Wait what?
You were already on PIP and didn't even know?
That doesn't sound right
Something not adding up :jbhmm:

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
I have to be honest it is difficult to move laterally once you get to a certain point. You may have to work a step or two down in position and work your way back up. Especially if other places will call your previous job and mention attention to detail as a point of emphasis. But you seem to have some savings so take your time.
I have references that were let go from my current job. They'll never have to call that job.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Wait what?
You were already on PIP and didn't even know?
That doesn't sound right
Something not adding up :jbhmm:
yup

I asked the head of my team once he mentioned HR if I was being put on a PIP. He said whats that? I said a performance improvement plan, and mentioned how a friend went through that once and how the mention of HR made it seem that I was being put on one.

He said, no we dont want to do that because it would be the easy thing to do but if your performance doesnt improve then you could be put on one.

Then when I was trying to negotiate severance, HR basically told me that they put me on a performance plan and set me up with mentors to help so they did what they were meant to. Iunno, maybe I shoulda sued them or hired counsel off the strength but its too late now.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
10+ yrs ago, I worked under a horrible boss...she didn't train me, didn't develop me...worse part was she developed this white girl instead of helping us both grow. My boss restructured the dept, I was let go.

I found a good job at a small college for 2+ yrs. Then went to DC and really took my career super seriously. I went from Coordinator to Mgr to Asst Director to Director in 6 yrs.

The employer that let me go brought me back to be finance director at a billion dollar school 3 yrs ago. I killed that shyt. Got offered to be Vice Dean of a whole School just this yr.

The avg age for ppl in my position is mid-50s...I did it in my 30s

And I love to know I proved my boss from earlier in my career wrong

Black man, CFO...overcame the odds...there's always light at the end of the tunnel
you mind if I inbox you?

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I'm just confused because my manager is a black woman so I thought there would be some kinda sympathy but she's a cọon.
if there's one thing i've learned about black people in the corporate space, its that you can't just assume they've got your back - you have to let them prove it first.

and now that im older i've had to accept that it works the other way around too :mjlol: people who are legitimately toxic employees will have zero issues doing wild shyt and asking you to cover for them simply because you're both black. like i got job thanos level job security or something lmao

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
I had an interview for a contract role making less. It's tough bruh. The guy asked why I was looking to leave a full time role for this, I just gave him the standard, "My company has pivoted in a different direction which no longer meets my goals" reason.

The truth is, I rather work for peace even if it means making less. Also, culture plays a significant role into these situations.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
yup

I asked the head of my team once he mentioned HR if I was being put on a PIP. He said whats that? I said a performance improvement plan, and mentioned how a friend went through that once and how the mention of HR made it seem that I was being put on one.

He said, no we dont want to do that because it would be the easy thing to do but if your performance doesnt improve then you could be put on one.

Then when I was trying to negotiate severance, HR basically told me that they put me on a performance plan and set me up with mentors to help so they did what they were meant to. Iunno, maybe I shoulda sued them or hired counsel off the strength but its too late now.
its definitely not too late on that one.... they fukked up lol. run that by a lawyer

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
When I got fired from the USPS I started to question my existence. Blood sweat and tears and fired me because I hurt a supervisors feelings (amongst other things. But I was a damned good worker). You may not want to hear this but at least you some time to yourself. Figure some shyt out, decompress, garner clarity, all that corny shyt.

97Pac

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
word. Money aint an issue. The severance is 6 figures before tax...and I have about 200K saved with no debt.
Plus employment insurance should be able to cover my rent once the severance period ends

That being said I dont wanna eat into my savings in any kinda way
You kinda need a mental reset and forget about things for a week or two. Plus this is the best time to take a vacation, in between job. I'd go sit out of a beach for a few days. Cartagena if your single lol. Come back a new man ready to hit the ground.