Recently got fired at work. Any advice?

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
its a long story man. I honestly dont really know. They would say performance and I dont wanna make excuses but I feel like thats a cop out cause on my team I did arguably the most work last year and it was quality work. From a performance standpoint I mightve made some clerical errors but nothing crazy enough. My performance manager thought I deserved a normal performance rating but was overruled by the head of the team I barely work with and I was given the lowest tier rating. I barely even work with the head cause he was based in the UK.

Long story short though i fukked up in two ways

1) I called out somebody on my team for certain biases inhow they recruit or view certain job candidates.
2) I let it slip out during a meeting with the head of the team that i feel like I cant be myself at work (i was the only black person out of ~100 ppl).

Seems like a target was put on me as a result
I was almost in this predicament last week and had to calm and not say what I wanted to say out loud. Took everything I had not to.

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
they do. how long have you been at the firm?

one thing I forgot to mention was that I was under a lot of stress last year. I was fighting a court case over some bs and that probably affected my performance/mentality to a degree. case was finally withdrawn this February but it lasted like 9 months
I year, 7 months.

Boss has been documenting literally anything, hoping it sticks. From not speaking enough in a roundtable call to little petty stuff or mistakes, while people were doing worse.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I'm in the same boat. I'm the only black male. "Performance" issues. Constantly being harassed at work. Can't even corporately defend myself. I don't have talk much due to lack of corporate vernacular. My boss is about to let me go though.

This is my first job where I was placed on PIP. Do they give you severance when you're let go?
I was almost in this predicament last week and had to calm and not say what I wanted to say out loud. Took everything I had not to.
been in similar situations myself. and honestly.... we're gonna be black every day - so I had to go out of my way to learn the language earlier in my career than most because there is literally no worse feeling than being stuck in a dialogue that you can't participate in while your career is up in the air :mjlol:

i'm good *now* but man.... i think the main thing that catches folks is that they're either too late to realize they're being isolated. and beyond that, you can't start a visible conflict unless you've got the resolution in your backpocket giftwrapped and ready to go.

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
I do, but man the job market is extremely picky. For VP+ level jobs they want somebody who been working in accounting for a minimum of 5+ years typically.
If youre qualified for VP+ at a financial institution (which typically pays $175k + vested stocks, and other perks) get aligned with an executive recruitment firm.

Jasonmask

Superstar
Daps
Don’t give up. I’m in a similar situation but we gotta preserver adapt to the circumstances we’ve been put up against. The road to bounce back and even get better may be long might not but you got to have some driving motive to keep going. Me I keep a chip on my shoulder for when I got rejected or terminated from a place to remind them they messed up or I came up despite them letting me go and life is better post said job

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I year, 7 months.

Boss has been documenting literally anything, hoping it sticks. From not speaking enough in a roundtable call to little petty stuff or mistakes, while people were doing worse.
yea i was dealing with similar shyt. if they put you on a PIP they basically trying to document something so they can let you go when they want

when i got my negative performance review I was asked to reach out to HR and ask for resources and shyt. I asked if I was being put on a PIP and the coward said I wasnt. Only for HR to tell me i was put on a PIP earlier when they terminated me. Its a dirty game.

If you have been there for 7 years, you might be entitled to like 8-10 months of severance if not more. I dont know how it works in the US but in Canada I think thats what youd get.

I was at my company for 3 years.

My severance was equal to 4 months of base salary...and then a prorated bonus payment. The proration was based on the months I worked to date this year + the 4 months severance (so basically 9 months/12)

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
If youre qualified for VP+ at a financial institution (which typically pays $175k + vested stocks, and other perks) get aligned with an executive recruitment firm.
thanks. I have connected with a couple but I think this week I am going to list everyone that I can think of in Canada and try to connect with them.

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
Gotta stick thru it bruh and just try to find something else. I recently lost my job at Honda and it was doing well for me, but I fukked up.

I'm still trying to get over that job

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
its a long story man. I honestly dont really know. They would say performance and I dont wanna make excuses but I feel like thats a cop out cause on my team I did arguably the most work last year and it was quality work. From a performance standpoint I mightve made some clerical errors but nothing crazy enough. My performance manager thought I deserved a normal performance rating but was overruled by the head of the team I barely work with and I was given the lowest tier rating. I barely even work with the head cause he was based in the UK.

Long story short though i fukked up in two ways

1) I called out somebody on my team for certain biases inhow they recruit or view certain job candidates.
2) I let it slip out during a meeting with the head of the team that i feel like I cant be myself at work (i was the only black person out of ~100 ppl).

Seems like a target was put on me as a result

They looked for a reason to get rid of you and found it. Take the severance + cash out whatever vacation days you had stacked + move your 401k if they even offered that.

At least you have a good amount of $ saved which is way better than most people. What part of Canada are you in? Tons of finance related job options in Montreal since there are banks there.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I do, but man the job market is extremely picky. For VP+ level jobs they want somebody who been working in accounting for a minimum of 5+ years typically.

I have to be honest it is difficult to move laterally once you get to a certain point. You may have to work a step or two down in position and work your way back up. Especially if other places will call your previous job and mention attention to detail as a point of emphasis. But you seem to have some savings so take your time.

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
been in similar situations myself. and honestly.... we're gonna be black every day - so I had to go out of my way to learn the language earlier in my career than most because there is literally no worse feeling than being stuck in a dialogue that you can't participate in while your career is up in the air :mjlol:

i'm good *now* but man.... i think the main thing that catches folks is that they're either too late to realize they're being isolated. and beyond that, you can't start a visible conflict unless you've got the resolution in your backpocket giftwrapped and ready to go.
I'm just confused because my manager is a black woman so I thought there would be some kinda sympathy but she's a cọon.

I never gave her negative bad reviews as my manager simply off gp but now she's just harassing me weekly with 1 on 1s and I have to write an essay after our meetings about what was discussed. Every week I think about cursing her out, reporting her and quitting.