Recently got fired at work. Any advice?

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Don’t get emotional about it. Put it behind you and start applying right away. Get out there and vigorously look for something else. You have to mentally move one right away as best you can. Deal with everything else later in therapy.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Tbh from what you say about it, the title was a dream job but not the actual position itself. I may have missed it but what was your title and how many years of experience do you have?
you right. It was a dream job at first but then went to shyt. had great earning potential to make 400K a year though

In this specific field about 5 years of experience.
i was a VP level person working in the credit investment team of a pension fund. In Canada pension funds are the largest, most sophisticated investment institutions

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
you right. It was a dream job at first but then went to shyt

In this specific field about 5 years of experience.
i was a VP level person working in the credit investment team of a pension fund. In Canada pension funds are the largest, most sophisticated investment institutions
Well its tough to go from VP level position to a Director/manager level. You'll be seen as a high risk of turnover and you won't be seen as someone within budget salary wise. You may be but these are some of the assumptions hiring managers would make. My advise would be to hold out for as long as possible for a lateral move and network your ass off. You have a severance package, so you have time to do so. Just get on the grind and network your ass off.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Well its tough to go from VP level position to a Director/manager level. You'll be seen as a high risk of turnover and you won't be seen as someone within budget salary wise. You may be but these are some of the assumptions hiring managers would make. My advise would be to hold out for as long as possible for a lateral move and network your ass off. You have a severance package, so you have time to do so. Just get on the grind and network your ass off.
i hear you bruh. this is why I am feeling so down. its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel from where I am at.

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
A month to himself to explore asia? You realize that costs money right? :dahell: Lol

Lol how much money do you make? I'm giving advice from someone making 6 figures further along in their career. If you scraping by making 70K and no savings of course you wouldn't understand. Then indeed you should immediately look for employment.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
i hear you bruh. this is why I am feeling so down. its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel from where I am at.
Use LinkedIn to connect and network as much as possible. Let your connections know you are on the market and don't come off as desperate.

darius19

R.I.P. Kobe and Nip, that’s off the rip
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Were you laid off or fired? Big distinction breh

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
word. Money aint an issue. The severance is 6 figures before tax...and I have about 200K saved with no debt.
Plus employment insurance should be able to cover my rent once the severance period ends

That being said I dont wanna eat into my savings in any kinda way
Well give yourself time to decompress and get back out there. Financial skills mean there are other jobs besides your niche that you are eligible to do.

darius19

R.I.P. Kobe and Nip, that’s off the rip
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sorry to hear breh @Ohene

I didn’t read through the thread but did you agree to severance package? I would always tell your company you’re going to talk to an employment lawyer, they will probably double your severance off top because they don’t want the smoke. Especially if the reason for firing was not really concrete

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
you let that coli.com shyt seep into your real life. smh

if you want to be real life militant and not just talk the talk, i would ask an employment attorney about possible discrimination claim, although i am not sure if this is a thing in canada.
What makes you think this brother is militant?

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I don't want to get into any kind of sob story/type out anything thats too long to read.

But anyways, about a month ago I was fired at what was once a dream job. I currently live in Canada and was working in a niche industry within finance and it looks like the job market is pretty bleak out here at the moment. I have a CPA but havent been an accountant for 5+ years so I aint even really getting consideration for those kinds of jobs. I feel kind of lost and alone right now. Of course my friends and family all have sympathy but the truth of the matter is that none of them really can help me in anyway.

I figure its a lot of people on this forum who have been laid off or fired before and had to pick up the pieces. Any advice or stories to share?

Aight peep this.

Update your resume
Start making some LinkedIn connections (I would even suggest paying for the premium on a temp basis.

Also based on your location and field, go find and connect with groups on your meetup.com

Like for me, I connect with a black tech group for my field. So look for something for you.

Also peep this site for AI resume builder

You can connect what with your LinkedIn….