El Salvador builds world's largest prison to house for than 40,000 gang members. Murder rates have dropped dramatically and people feel safer

TallMan_J

Retired from TheColi
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Retired
So what happens when their sentences run up, violence jumps and the cycle continues

Keep them locked up. fukk you mean? Ain’t nobody missing these criminals. Society is apparently much better and safer with them in prison.
:mjtf:

I knew your ass we be a contrarian regarding this.
:mjlol:

TallMan_J

Retired from TheColi
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Retired
Why is it always considered anti black when black folks want criminals off the street :dead:

I usually Neg you (and rightfully so), but you just earned your first +10 Rep from me. Are you finally getting some sense in that head of yours?
:ohhh:

50CentStan

Allahu Akbar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Ummah!
Best president in the world right now.

Going from being unsafe to safe in a span of what 4 years is a huge accomplishment for a country like el salvador. Cant believe you got dummies upset ms13 gangbangers going to jail. :mjlol: a few innocent people rounded up and thrown in jail by mistake vs multiple murders every day. They made the right decision.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Eventually you have to look at the
Those of us who want more social programs and preventive measures put in place to stop crime aren’t soft on crime just because we don’t believe in throwing poor people away for bullshyt. That’s propaganda spread by sociopaths who want extreme punishment for others but of course wouldn’t want that punishment for themselves or their families. We want equal Justice for all and sensible punishment :yeshrug:
Straight up propaganda. Cops don't stop crimes, nor do they have any legal obligation to do so. So the idea at face value is stupid. According to the Prison Policy Initiative, US men have an 11% chance of being inprisoned during their lifetime. It jumps up to 32% for Black men. 1.07% of all working aged adults are incarcerated. How many people do you have to lock up before people realize that it doesn't work. We already imprison more people than any other country. What makes this story propoganda is it makes people ask for more of a solution that is already being implemented, turned up to 10, yet still not providing any positive results. It's to make you all blame each other rather than look at those pulling the strings, who set the conditions for the current problem.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This comparison doesn’t mean anything. The murder rate in Louisiana is not acceptable. Also their murder rate was still slightly higher than Louisiana and twice that of Georgia not sure why you used raw murders for Georgia.

Saying the murder rate in Louisiana is "not acceptable" has no relevance to the debate. The murder rate across the USA is "not acceptable", as is the murder rate is El Salvador. But you jump from having a problem that isn't acceptable, to catastrophizing the problem to the point you declare, "This problem is so terrible that nothing else can be done except fascism! My way is the only way!"

I compared it to the murder rate in Louisiana because this thread is full of so much hyperbole with so little context that I thought I'd put some actual context on those numbers. And I used the raw numbers for Georgia because those are the raw numbers of the problem they're dealing with. I could also have used Puerto Rico, which is a similar size to El Salvador, is also a poor region, and actually had a HIGHER murder rate than El Salvador the year before this crackdown. And no one is saying, "Puerto Rico is so out of control that nothing else can be done except suspend all human rights.

Also, this president had been president for 3 years before this, and mayor of San Salvador for 3 years before that. So 6 years in power, and he did nothing? No, he did a ton during that time. So the claim that, "Crime and gangs were so out of control that absolutely nothing else could be done unless he did this".....doesn't that shyt on his entire previous 6 years in power? So were all his actions during that time unless and ineffective and he was thought of as a nonconsequential president? If not, it completely disproves the claim that the country was paralyzed with no other options and this was the only way.

The crack down started after 87 people were killed over the course of two days. Think of all the victims especially all the innocent ones. Them head to toe tatted MS-13 members are demonic life is extra cheap to them and they have more pull than American criminal organizations on daily life in that country.

It’s a different country this type of killing or demonstration is not happening in America

Chicago a couple years ago had 18 murders in a single day, and Chicago is well under half the size of San Salvador. That's proportionally the same daily murder rate as El Salvador's terrible two days, just El Salvador had two in a row and Chicago had just one such day. And that happened without some specific "demonstration" being done, that was just the aspect of regular life.

Are the killings is Chicago terrible? Yes. Are the killings in El Salvador terrible? Yes. Are either one so terrible that "literally nothing else can be done" except to incarcerate everyone you want whether they're involved or not? You've provided zero evidence for that.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Something I brought up the first time this came up that no one has been able to answer.

If these 40,000 incarcerated people are such savages, then why are there only 1,000 murders a year in El Salvador? Obviously only a few hundred people at most are responsible for those murders, and half of them are still out there. So you're incarcerating 40,000 people to stop, what, 200-300 who had been killing people? Perhaps even less than that cause a lot of those shooters are likely dead already from the consequences of that life, right? How many of the other 39,800 that you locked up weren't guilty of anything at all?

People are posting about "well fukk if it's a few innocent people, I don't care about them." But what if it's not "a few", what if it's 5,000 innocent people? What if it's 10,000? There are posters here who say they want them all locked up for life and throw away the key, so are you willing to permanently lock up 35,000 gang-bangers and 5,000 completely innocent people to stop a few hundred murders a year? What if you're locking up 15,000 innocent people? Exactly how does that equation work?

Since DNA evidence came, the conviction rate in the US South for murders has dropped substantially, and thousands of people have been freed including hundreds off of death row. That's with a system that is MUCH more robust than the current El Salvador system. Why are y'all betting on that sort of casual disregard for justice and think it will ever lead to actual sustainable justice?

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Saying the murder rate in Louisiana is "not acceptable" has no relevance to the debate. The murder rate across the USA is "not acceptable", as is the murder rate is El Salvador. But you jump from having a problem that isn't acceptable, to catastrophizing the problem to the point you declare, "This problem is so terrible that nothing else can be done except fascism! My way is the only way!"

I compared it to the murder rate in Louisiana because this thread is full of so much hyperbole with so little context that I thought I'd put some actual context on those numbers. And I used the raw numbers for Georgia because those are the raw numbers of the problem they're dealing with. I could also have used Puerto Rico, which is a similar size to El Salvador, is also a poor region, and actually had a HIGHER murder rate than El Salvador the year before this crackdown. And no one is saying, "Puerto Rico is so out of control that nothing else can be done except suspend all human rights.

Also, this president had been president for 3 years before this, and mayor of San Salvador for 3 years before that. So 6 years in power, and he did nothing? No, he did a ton during that time. So the claim that, "Crime and gangs were so out of control that absolutely nothing else could be done unless he did this".....doesn't that shyt on his entire previous 6 years in power? So were all his actions during that time unless and ineffective and he was thought of as a nonconsequential president? If not, it completely disproves the claim that the country was paralyzed with no other options and this was the only way.

Chicago a couple years ago had 18 murders in a single day, and Chicago is well under half the size of San Salvador. That's proportionally the same daily murder rate as El Salvador's terrible two days, just El Salvador had two in a row and Chicago had just one such day. And that happened without some specific "demonstration" being done, that was just the aspect of regular life.

Are the killings is Chicago terrible? Yes. Are the killings in El Salvador terrible? Yes. Are either one so terrible that "literally nothing else can be done" except to incarcerate everyone you want whether they're involved or not? You've provided zero evidence for that.
18 murders in a day is a lot but that’s not 87 in two days which is what El Salvador had. The crack down was in response to that. Also, most of El Salvador’s murders were innocent people. In Chicago innocents are killed in mistaken identities and with strays but usually not purposefully. MS-13 is said to extort 70% of the businesses in the country, that is not happening in Chicago. In El Salvador the gangs are terrorists and have strength comparable to a government. Chicago is much more populated than San Salvador. You can live in Chicago and gang shyt can have no affect on you.

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
This is great, that country needs a major reset, those savages would make everyone in the street pay rent, kill and rape at will… they completely ruined that country.

Before that prison they didn’t mind going to prison for the rest of their life, they had it made in there.. no enemies, every Sunday you can have ur family or anybody come visit u, all the way into ur cell… they would bring strippers, have barbques.

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
My cleaning lady is from El Salvador and fully supports the president. She said, people are finally able to make a living and be on the streets without being scared, Salvadorians abroad can visit family go on vacations there. They are finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

Daps
My cleaning lady is from El Salvador and fully supports the president. She said, people are finally able to make a living and be on the streets without being scared, Salvadorians abroad can visit family go on vacations there. They are finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.
Except for the innocent people that got locked up and will never had freedom. fukk those people

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
So they’re locking up 15,000 innocents out of 40,000.

Close to 40% of the incarcerated are innocents with no affiliation to MS-13 or 18th Street Gang :mjlol:

What a ridiculous drag

Tair

Superstar
Daps
Look into Kaleif Browder if you haven't and are agreeing with the OP.

kalief_browder_16-e1488998039489.jpg