WHO WINS?

• Total voters

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
Thanks.

There's so much bullshyt in this that should be called out and dissected, but I don't think anyone on here is interested in hearing me rant. The idea of framing the health of the economy around unemployment and GDP is a broken metric to start with, but they're trying to compare unemployment between today and the 1930s while avoiding mentioning the Great Depression. The highest unemployment has ever been. Then when it's time to talk about gas and grocery prices, they compare today to before the pandemic. Just completely insulting and disingenuous.

This section was interesting though:
Rob Flaherty, a deputy campaign manager for Mr. Biden, said the campaign was working with content creators on TikTok in an effort to “amplify a positive, affirmative message” about the economy.
The administration has tried to inject more positive programming into the social media discussion. Mr. Biden met with about 60 TikTok creators to explain his initial student loan forgiveness plan shortly after announcing it. The campaign team also sent videos to key creators, for possible sharing, of young people crying when they learned their loans had been forgiven.
The Biden campaign does not pay those creators or try to dictate what they are saying, though it does advertise on digital platforms aggressively, Mr. Flaherty said.
“It needs to sound authentic,” he said.

Redwood

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston, Texas
Several of the economy-related trends getting traction on TikTok are downright dire. The term “Silent Depression” recently spawned a spate of viral videos. Clips critical of capitalism are common. On Instagram, jokes about poor housing affordability are a genre unto themselves.

Social media reflects — and is potentially fueling — a deep-seated angst about the economy that is showing up in surveys of younger consumers and political polls alike. It suggests that even as the job market booms, people are focusing on long-running issues like housing affordability as they assess the economy.
“I think people have gotten angrier,” she said. “I think we’re actually in a worse vibecession now.”

The word "vibecession" is annoying as hell :francis:

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps

Yep sounds right biden has walked away from his base.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Thanks.

There's so much bullshyt in this that should be called out and dissected, but I don't think anyone on here is interested in hearing me rant. The idea of framing the health of the economy around unemployment and GDP is a broken metric to start with, but they're trying to compare unemployment between today and the 1930s while avoiding mentioning the Great Depression. The highest unemployment has ever been. Then when it's time to talk about gas and grocery prices, they compare today to before the pandemic. Just completely insulting and disingenuous.

This section was interesting though:

This article a few years ago questioned the unemployment rate metric too:

Big Jo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nikkas believing polls :mjlol:

Same polls that showed Hillary beating Trump easily :mjlol:

Quit crying. Trump winning MI, PA and WI again :mjlol:
I feel this. I live in PA and don’t think Trump has any real chance of winning here.

Michigan makes me nervous though

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The people I know who are on Tiktok are my nieces, nephews, cousins, etc, and they are all starkly aware they may never own a house, may never be able to retire, have a looming climate disaster hanging over their heads, and they're still being told the economy is good, actually. They're like 12-25 years old, and none of them have earned enough to purchase a Rolex.

75k is the median income right now, which sounds decent, but understand the younger generation (who mostly make up Tiktok) haven't hit their full earning potential and their future prospects look pretty bleak. With nothing being done to reverse the current trends, I don't think it's fair to tell young people "it's just vibes" when their economic opportunities are projected to be worse than the previous generation by almost every metric.

I didn't read the article though, so maybe I'm off track from the message.

I don't think the article does that as strongly as you and the other guy think, but I get it. More important to me, why I posted was, the ability of social media to create and spread narratives that stick. We can get into how you measure an economy or whatever, sure, but that's not where I am going either, obviously the economic factors are complicated and hard to understand for anyone, much less the average voter.

and that gets deep into perception vs reality. You look at Biden's sagging poll numbers. And look at this article. But, also some of the content is not only annoying on a shallow level it's DEEPLY INSIDIOUS. These are content creators crying poverty, many of whom aren't really affected, this is just for content, whether it reflects people's reality or not, and it does, I am not arguing that.

how does a Biden admin counter this? Can they? And, the idea of how many people get all their news from Tik Tok should be really really concerning.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
You can just come up with any nonsense and run with it, on Tik Tok,

this is like a soft recession

the quiet depression

we are in like the literal like low key Recession

so not only irritating but harmful. These aren't genuine takes. This is content.

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
the ability of social media to create and spread narratives that stick
You keep saying this and no one has denied that.

Why use the economy as the took to make that point? This was an article written for deluded affluent people and those who want to believe they are on that class.

But, also some of the content is not only annoying on a shallow level it's DEEPLY INSIDIOUS
The article doesn’t mention this, do you have evidence of this? A popular TikToker crying poverty? Share the video because I’m not on TikTok.

how does a Biden admin counter this? Can they? And, the idea of how many people get all their news from Tik Tok should be really really concerning.
Let me ask you, do you think the economy is good for a young person right now?