WHO WINS?

• Total voters

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Latino backlash grows over Donald Trump’s friendly Univision interview​

Members of Congress plan to ask for a meeting with a company executive as a famous actor, a Univision founder and Latino rights advocacy groups speak out​

By Michael Scherer
November 17, 2023 at 10:41 p.m. EST

imrs.php

John Leguizamo arrives at the 24th annual Latin Grammy Awards in Seville, Spain, on Thursday. (Vianney Le Caer/Invision/AP)

The nation’s largest Spanish-language media company, Univision, faced growing backlash Friday for its handling of a recent interview with former president Donald Trump, as major Latino advocacy groups delivered a letter of protest to the network’s executives and the Congressional Hispanic Caucus prepared to request a meeting with the network.

Actor and comedian John Leguizamo, who recently took a turn as host of Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show,” also posted a video on Instagram on Thursday night calling for a boycott of the network until it stopped its rejection of Biden ads, some of which were canceled just before the Trump interview aired.

“I am asking all my brothers and sisters who are actors, artists, politicians, activists to not go on Univision,” he said in a message in English and Spanish.

The pushback comes after a Nov. 7 interview with Trump at his Mar-a-Lago Club in Florida that was arranged with the help of Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner and attended by a trio of senior executives at Univision’s parent company. The interview was notable for its gracious tone, lack of follow-up questions and Trump’s assertion in the first minutes about owners of the network.

“They like me,” Trump said.

It’s a sharp contrast to the long history of tension between Trump and Univision — a fact that alarmed both Democrats and journalists inside Univision.

The network, which has said it has also requested an interview with President Biden, announced a new policy of preventing opposition advertising during single-candidate interviews shortly before the Trump interview aired. The network also canceled a booking with a Biden spokeswoman to respond to the interview on a subsequent news broadcast.

imrs.php

Univision's Jorge Ramos shows a video showing Venezuelan youth picking food scraps out of the back of a garbage truck in Caracas, during an interview at a hotel in Venezuela on Feb. 25, 2019. (AP)

A top anchor at Univision in Miami, León Krauze, who helmed the late-night newscast, announced he had abruptly separated from the network Wednesday, less than a week after the interview aired. Neither Krauze nor the network offered a reason for the separation in their statements about the split.

Joaquin Blaya, a former president of Univision who created its signature news show in the late 1980s, told The Washington Post in an interview this week that he worried the network had moved away from its founding mission.

Share this article

“I am not surprised that someone who is a serious journalist like León Krauze would not be the kind of journalist that they want there,” Blaya said. “They are different times. It is not good what is happening there.”

Blaya — who hired the network’s most famous anchor, Jorge Ramos — later ran Telemundo, the other major Spanish-language network in the United States. He said the Trump interview this month was a step back for Univision. The Mexican media company Grupo Televisa, which has long had a close relationship with political power brokers in that country, recently merged with the owners of Univision to take joint control of the company.

“This was Mexican-style news coverage, a repudiation of the concept of separation of business and news,” Blaya said of the Trump interview. “What I saw there was batting practice, someone dropping balls for him to hit out of the park. I think it was an embarrassment.”

Wade Davis, one of the TelevisaUnivision executives who attended the Mar-a-Lago meeting, sent a note to U.S. staff this week addressing the controversy caused by the Trump interview.

“Our goal is to cover candidates from all political parties — Democrats, Republicans and Independents — and to assure Hispanics of the most comprehensive access to information that will help them make educated decisions at the ballot box,” Davis wrote. “Our mission is to make Latinos a vital part of our electoral process by encouraging them to register and exercising their constitutional right to vote.”

More than 70 groups — including major Latino rights organizations UnidosUS Action, America’s Voice and MALDEF — sent a letter Friday night to Davis and two other TelevisaUnivision executives who attended the meeting with Trump that described the interview as “a betrayal of trust.”

“We demand Univision conduct a thorough internal review, take corrective measures, and reaffirm its commitment to unbiased reporting and to keeping the Latino community informed and up-to-date with facts and truth,” the letter reads. “Unfiltered, unaddressed and unrestricted disinformation does a disservice to all communities in the U.S. and will destroy Univision’s reputation as a credible network that informs an important electorate.”

The all-Democratic Congressional Hispanic Caucus has also drafted a letter, which is likely to be sent to Univision in the coming days, asking Davis to meet with members of Congress about the journalistic standards of the network, according to a congressional staffer, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the effort. The draft letter, which was shared with The Post, describes a congressional interest in addressing misinformation and disinformation in the Latino community.

Isaac Lee — the chief news officer at Univision during the 2016 campaign when the network clashed with Trump — said he had confidence that the journalists at Univision in Miami would cover the coming presidential race properly. The Trump interview had been conducted by a Mexico City-based anchor for Televisa, Enrique Acevedo, who previously worked in the United States for Univision.

“I don’t think that one interview with Enrique can determine how the campaign is going to be covered and how Latinos are going to get their information,” Lee said. “And from the people I know at Univision News, and I know all of them, I trust that their heart and their mind is in the right place.”

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Why would you link this article?

The only thing it says is going well is the “booming job market,” but what does that mean when real income has dropped. It points out affordable housing and the inflation in food and gas prices, but some how doesn’t think it is that serious.

Tiktok is definitely misguided but that article also has a misguided view.

The relavent points here are

social media warping people's perceptions

social media engineering those people's warped perceptions

the influence and reach of those perceptions through Tik Tok

The insidious way Tik Tok and all social media create this kind of illusory world with cute names and videos and no nuance

that most people are getting the news from Tik Tok

I think there's a convo to be had about academic points/economists telling the poor folks that the economy is doing great because of some data point about the CPI, and the Biden admin selling his progress without acknowledging people's day to day experiences with inflation.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
The relavent points here are

social media warping people's perceptions

social media engineering those people's warped perceptions

the influence and reach of those perceptions through Tik Tok

The insidious way Tik Tok and all social media create this kind of illusory world with cute names and videos and no nuance

that most people are getting the news from Tik Tok

I think there's a convo to be had about academic points/economists telling the poor folks that the economy is doing great because of some data point about the CPI, and the Biden admin selling his progress without acknowledging people's day to day experiences with inflation.

I don’t think anyone denies that social media can’t can brainwash and warp minds. My issue is using people’s economic realities as an example of that is an example of the New York Times trying to warp the minds of its readers into invalidating peoples real experiences. The article is written in bad-faith, and you have acknowledged that by saying the writers economic metrics are probably wrong.

Last edited:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I don’t think anyone denies that social media can’t brainwash and warp minds. My issue is using people’s economic realities as an example of that is an example of the New York Times trying to warp the minds of its readers into invalidating peoples real experiences. The article is written in bad-faith, and you have acknowledged that by saying the writers economic metrics are probably wrong.

I think you are too extreme on a lot of things man, but I appreciate the more respectful convo. That honestly has the frame work of a social media post, the frame work of the NY Times as this weapon of the elite, and Tik TOk as the voice of the oppressed youth. That's not how I see things.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I think you are too extreme on a lot of things man, but I appreciate the more respectful convo. That honestly has the frame work of a social media post, the frame work of the NY Times as this weapon of the elite, and Tik TOk as the voice of the oppressed youth. That's not how I see things.
I think you are in the extreme as well. You read my post and made an incorrect analysis because you want to feel like you believe you are in a class, you aren’t. Idk, but go for it.

I never said social media or TikTok is the voice of the oppressed youth and wasn’t suggesting that. The article used the wrong tool to make the point about social media brainwashing. shyt like bad dental and health advice, financial guru cults are better and more accurate means to do that. I saw a YouTube ad yesterday about getting ACA reimbursements using The Rock’s voice. Not only can you not do what they claimed, but they also mislead people with an AI voiceover of The Rock. That’s real and harmful stuff.

Writing an article that says the bad experience young adults are having with the economy isn’t ‘that’ bad and is the result of being brainwashed by TikTok much isn’t written to speak to young people, but to those who want to dismiss the issues of young people are having in this ‘strong’ economy as TikTok brainwashing. Who does this article serve? So while I don’t think TikTok or social media is the voice of any oppressed group, The NY Times is definitely serving elite Class interests by saying “these kids are imagining things.”

I appreciate the discussion as well, but I urge you to use a little more discretion when sharing stuff like this article. Just because it’s in The NY Times Doesn’t make it good.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I think you are in the extreme as well. You read my post and made an incorrect analysis because you want to feel like you believe you are in a class, you aren’t. Idk, but go for it.

I never said social media or TikTok is the voice of the oppressed youth and wasn’t suggesting that. The article used the wrong tool to make the point about social media brainwashing. shyt like bad dental and health advice, financial guru cults are better and more accurate means to do that. I saw a YouTube ad yesterday about getting ACA reimbursements using The Rock’s voice. Not only can you not do what they claimed, but they also mislead people with an AI voiceover of The Rock. That’s real and harmful stuff.

Writing an article that says the bad experience young adults are having with the economy isn’t ‘that’ bad and is the result of being brainwashed by TikTok much isn’t written to speak to young people, but to those who want to dismiss the issues of young people are having in this ‘strong’ economy as TikTok brainwashing. Who does this article serve? So while I don’t think TikTok or social media is the voice of any oppressed group, The NY Times is definitely serving elite Class interests by saying “these kids are imagining things.”

I appreciate the discussion as well, but I urge you to use a little more discretion when sharing stuff like this article. Just because it’s in The NY Times Doesn’t make it good.

Listen to your tone and personal attacks in both those posts. it's not really cool. You disrespecting someone who is just interested in having convos and reading other viewpoints.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Listen to your tone and personal attacks in both those posts. it's not really cool. You disrespecting someone who is just interested in having convos and reading other viewpoints.
My prior two posts attacked the article. I didn’t say anything about you. You then decided to attack me as being “too extreme in a lot of things,” so you can miss me with that.

Like I said before, show More discretion in what you share.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Here's what I see:

people I know who are on Tik Tok, but not really hurting in the economy, some of my boys who wear Rolexes and pop bottles every night, have little conception of politics, but they see Tik Tok videos about how bad the economy is, and repeat it, and internalize the viewpoint.

maybe they won't even vote, but if this stuff reaches those friends of mine, it is reaching a lot of people who are voters.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
Here's what I see:

people I know who are on Tik Tok, but not really hurting in the economy, some of my boys who wear Rolexes and pop bottles every night, have little conception of politics, but they see Tik Tok videos about how bad the economy is, and repeat it, and internalize the viewpoint.

maybe they won't even vote, but if this stuff reaches those friends of mine, it is reaching a lot of people who are voters.
The people I know who are on Tiktok are my nieces, nephews, cousins, etc, and they are all starkly aware they may never own a house, may never be able to retire, have a looming climate disaster hanging over their heads, and they're still being told the economy is good, actually. They're like 12-25 years old, and none of them have earned enough to purchase a Rolex.

75k is the median income right now, which sounds decent, but understand the younger generation (who mostly make up Tiktok) haven't hit their full earning potential and their future prospects look pretty bleak. With nothing being done to reverse the current trends, I don't think it's fair to tell young people "it's just vibes" when their economic opportunities are projected to be worse than the previous generation by almost every metric.

I didn't read the article though, so maybe I'm off track from the message.