WHO WINS?

• Total voters

bnew

Veteran
Daps

'Republicans made a mistake': Pollster identifies GOP's biggest blunder on Biden SOTU​

Brad Reed

March 8, 2024 8:42AM ET

'Republicans made a mistake': Pollster identifies GOP's biggest blunder on Biden SOTU

WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 07: U.S. President Joe Biden delivers the State of the Union address during a joint meeting of Congress in the House chamber at the U.S. Capitol on March 07, 2024 in Washington, DC. This is Biden’s last State of the Union address before the general election this coming November. Biden was joined by Vice President Kamala Harris and Speaker of the House Mike Johnson (R-LA). (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Sarah Longwell, a one-time Republican pollster who has kept her distance from the party ever since the emergence of former President Donald Trump, said the GOP made a grievous error by setting expectations so low for President Joe Biden's State of the Union response.

Appearing on CNN Friday morning, Longwell said that Biden delivered an excellent address by any standard, but she added that its impact was enhanced because Republicans had spent so many months writing off Biden as a doddering invalid on the cusp of death's door.

"Last night, what he said was for the Democratic base," Longwell explained. "But how he said it was for swing voters who needed to see that this guy was all there, that he could do the job. And I told you yesterday when I was on the show, the Republicans have made a mistake because they set the bar at dementia."

Longwell said that the sharpness of Biden's address easily cleared that bar and added that "if that's what dementia looks like then I hope that's how I have dementia when I'm older because he was on his game."

Longwell also said that the Republican reaction to Biden's address showed that he was on top of his game.

"You can tell how well he did by how annoyed Republicans are this morning and last night," she said. "You could just see how upset they were."

Finally, Longwell praised Biden's ability to come across as a happy warrior who was eager to fight with his political rivals without outright hating them.

"He did the thing that I think Joe Biden is particularly good at, where he sparred with Republicans... he somehow managed to have it be incredibly political, he managed to be going right at republicans, but often was also joking with them, smiling at them, egging them on a little bit," she explained.

Watch the video below or at this link.

'Republicans made a mistake': Pollster identifies GOP's biggest blunder on Biden SOTU www.youtube.com

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Co-sign, Trump rallies won't get that heat because one they don't care and two security will check the folks attending.

Like I said in another thread, no I don't like what's going on in Gaza, but pull that 2016 shyt by not voting or voting for Trump. Gaza will be screwed, Ukraine will be screwed, possibly Taiwan, you still get project 2025, extreme right wing judges will be added and you not only fcck yourself, but your children's lives up as well. And this is off the backdrop of Trump's incompetence during the pandemic.

Because I'm now seeing mayor's getting hit with these folks as well, which I don't think that they can do much.
That'll be biden and his administration own doing, idk why y'all keep blaming voters for having standards. Biden own administration is out of touch and that's on them if trump wins. He made moves that have hurt his own base.

Outlaw

New Hope For the HaveNotz
Daps
Reppin
Buzz City, NC :blessed:
Why would they? Bidens president and they previously voted for him. Biden decided to back a war that's unpopular with his own base of voters thats on him
They’ve been going after democrat congress people too. Even the one who won George Santos seat recently

Outlaw

Daps
Reppin
As they should, I'm confused why you think liberal and progressive voters should be ok with their party backing something they don't believe in
Didn’t say they should but they should also hold republicans to account by protesting them too. They also support genocide in your eyes or does that not count?

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Didn’t say they should but they should also hold republicans to account by protesting them too. They also support genocide in your eyes or does that not count?
They're holding Republicans accountable they domt vote for them and I'd imagine never have. If you want YOUR party to change best way to do it is by votes and vocal expression. Once again this is on biden and his administration not the voters. He choses to ignore his base and you're seeing the results

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Co-sign, Trump rallies won't get that heat because one they don't care and two security will check the folks attending.

Like I said in another thread, no I don't like what's going on in Gaza, but pull that 2016 shyt by not voting or voting for Trump. Gaza will be screwed, Ukraine will be screwed, possibly Taiwan, you still get project 2025, extreme right wing judges will be added and you not only fcck yourself, but your children's lives up as well. And this is off the backdrop of Trump's incompetence during the pandemic.

Because I'm now seeing mayor's getting hit with these folks as well, which I don't think that they can do much.
Exactly. It’s a political cancer that’s being spread. These protestors don’t care who they’re protesting at this point as long as they aren’t republicans

This is the wrong way to look at protests.

Politics has always featured direct action as a tool. Voting isn’t the only thing people have at their disposal to make their feelings known.

Also, Biden is the president. And the GOP has no interest in responding to protestors that aren’t the MAGA base who are perfectly fine with ethnic cleaning and bombing Arabs to oblivion with USA made weapons.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
This is the wrong way to look at protests.

Politics has always featured direct action as a tool. Voting isn’t the only thing people have at their disposal to make their feelings known.

Also, Biden is the president. And the GOP has no interest in responding to protestors that aren’t the MAGA base who are perfectly fine with ethnic cleaning and bombing Arabs to oblivion with USA made weapons.
And the perfect way to let them know our displeasure with their position is to just not vote for them.

We will leave the protests and the harassment at the mall for the real villains, like AOC :mjgrin:

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If it's not a Republican in a swing state or swing district does it really matter?

Who gives a fukk about protesting Nazi McKlansman from deep-red district in Bumfukk, Tennessee? They don't care, their base doesn't care, and probably actively supports brown kids getting bombed and starved to death.

Outlaw

Daps
Reppin
If it's not a Republican in a swing state or swing district does it really matter?

Who gives a fukk about protesting Nazi McKlansman from deep-red district in Bumfukk, Tennessee? They don't care, their base doesn't care, and probably actively supports brown kids getting bombed and starved to death.
They don’t care so they should get a pass? The protest would bring attention to their policy positions. Make them show to everyone that they support genocide or is it only genocide when it comes to democrats?

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi

Deliver no smoke to the people who dedicate their lives and money to disenfranchise you and your children. Duly noted :obama:

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They don’t care so they should get a pass? The protest would bring attention to their policy positions. Make them show to everyone that they support genocide or is it only genocide when it comes to democrats?
Which would be a more effective use of time: protesting a Republican in a safe district who has no incentive to change, or a Democrat (or swing district Republican) who at the very least has to worry about keeping their seat?