They're Saying California Has Spent 17 Billions In 4 Years To Fight Homelessness, But It's Gotten Worse

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Republicans have controlled Arizona's legislature for nearly 60 years. Yes, they just got a Democratic governor, but the governor can't pass any laws by herself. And Nevada just got a Republican governor, so by what definition can you possibly say, "All the neighboring states are Democratic?"

I swear you post right-wing bullshyt all the time just to troll cause your points are so openly dumb.
Me being against the left, doesnt mean im for the right. Youre just too stupid to understand this.

Trump was a horrible president
Biden is a horrible president

Both things can be true without sounding like a cult member like you do

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
When they ignore the rich and just look at people at the median, Texas actually has a higher tax burden on the median family than California does.

real comforting to the middle class :dead:

Yea fukk that other 60-70% :dead: @Rhakim a grown ass clown

Do either of you know what the "median family" is? :dahell:

I swear you two are the dumbest posters here. Single-handedly killing the White Supremacy narrative with every comment.

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
They do everything but give them permanent housing
That's exactly it. The money is seemingly free flowing but in the wrong direction mainly because no one in power has any real interest in building permanent housing, largely because it would be low income or income based and wealthy developers can't have that.

Instead the state, and more importantly the County of Los Angeles focuses on short term band-aid "solutions" like drug treatment programs, mental health care, temporary motel vouchers and shelters. Now obviously all those things are necessary but useless if there's no follow through or long term solution.

I work with this population and contrary to popular belief, many of them WANT to get clean, get on the right meds, have regular doctor's visits, etc, but that becomes nearly impossible if in 3 or 6 months they're right back on the streets because they've exhausted all the (extremely limited) resources available to them and are still without fixed housing.

People love to throw around phrases like "they're homeless because they wanna do drugs" without even questioning the number of people who fell on hard times and THEN started doing drugs to cope.

But even disregarding the ones in active addiction, y'all don't see how WILD it is that college campuses are having to open their parking lots to homeless students at night!? (s/o to @Cloutius Maximus)

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
That article talks about the housing supply and they couldn’t be more accurate. It’s clear that more housing units have to be built but there isn’t any political will to do it.

California has a high amount of highly educated and wealthy districts (5 of the top 10 wealthiest districts in America) and these voters absolutely fight tooth and nail to avoid more housing being built in those districts.

Tech industries Titans like GOOGLE, Meta, Apple, etc own miles and miles of space and real estate and fight against this as well (To protect their image and employees).

These people and companies not only fight on the state level (ballot initiatives) but they fight on the local level (board meetings, council fights, etc).

They just want to throw money at the situation and pray that the homeless just magically disappear. They don’t mind throwing money at a not-for profit or an initiative but when those “Icky” homeless people are possibly in eyes view of their kids it becomes a different ball game.

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
Yall not looking at the whole picture

You see the crazy/drugged out homeless people on the streets but there's many homeless who do everything they can to not be grouped with those other homeless folk i.e. homeless students, young women, people who just fell through the cracks. They shower at the gym, they never sleep on benches or in public during the day, they sleep in their cars, they work jobs, they sleep at friends houses when they can.

Long Beach city college has their parking lot open overnight to let homeless students sleep there. Some people just fell behind on rent and ended up assed out. Got kicked out by their mom at 18 and ended up assed out. They become druggies and alcoholics AFTER they become homeless because they kick it with other young homeless people and drink/smoke away the pain. People don't want to admit it because it's scary and it could happen to them.
I don't understand how we can have so many threads about how many people are "one $400 emergency away from disaster" or how many parents kick their kids out the minute they turn 18 and everyone agrees those are very real issues but when it comes to a rising homeless population all of a sudden it's they just junkies or lazy as if there's zero correlation.

IIRC, to live in Los Angeles you need to make $40/hr just to afford a 2bd/1bth. Very few jobs pay that much. Yes, even the ones that require degrees. To give an example, the average teacher makes about $27.50/hr. That puts them at a near $13/hr deficit or rather, a monthly deficit of $2k. In major metros it is EXTREMLY EASY to fall into poverty and homelessness even with a job, ambition and zero drug use.

But people just regurgitate Reagan era Republican talking points without having any idea of what's really going on and not knowing the state/local government actually makes more money the more they criminalize and penalize poverty, while simultaneously ensuring more and more people are impoverished.

Lost your apartment because your student loans skyrocketed to an additional $600 or your landlord decided to increase the rent by $1k so now you sleep in your car instead? Well too bad, the City of Santa Monica just impounded your shyt and ticketed you for "loitering". You're broke as hell so you can't afford the impound fees meaning you no longer even have a car but wait, there's more! Lacking a car, you now have to go from pillar to post and couch surf or worse, sleep on the street. You don't have a permanent address either so you never get the paperwork meaning you miss your court date. Oops, now you've got a warrant out and the next time you're caught "loitering" you simply go straight to jail. And the more inmates they have the more funding they get.

But like you said, that's a scary fact and people want to tell themselves comforting stories about it could never be THEM.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
MORE LIKE 17 BILL TO BRING IN MORE HOMELESS

tell me you didn't read the article without telling me you didn't read the article.

A new study found most homeless people in California last had a home in California, dispelling the myth that people come to the state specifically for homeless help.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This sample size and study needs to be discarded. It's inaccurate and useless. It doesn't prove or disprove the effectiveness of California policies because of the deeper context

We just had the biggest pandemic in more than 100 years, with a shutdown of the economy that was unprecedented. Obviously the homeless numbers will go up, no matter what California does. 2 out of the 4 years they are tracking had this problem

I’m take your work and the works of the article but I don’t fully agree.

I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the YouTube show “soft white underbelly” where he interviews tons of people from skidrow and girls off fig ect. Atleast half or more is not from Cali at all. Just came to La and ended up on skid row
He has a biased sample. Obviously he will show you the worst he can find for the same reason Jerry Springer or Maury Povich show you the worst people they can find.

He would have no views whatsoever if he bushed the prostitutes and drug addicts, and just showed you 100 videos of folks repeatedly saying they missed rent, or got sick, or were fired from their McDonald's or secretary job.

Last edited:

King Poetic

The D.O.G.( Disciple of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Executive Chair Of The West
Because our politicians out here are some goofy Woodstock motherfukkers just trying to do outlandish shyt

They fixed up a building here in LA for homelessness however in order for u to stay there, u have to stopped doing drugs and other requirements… them homeless was like fukk that and fukk you , I’m going to stay on the street

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
That's enough to build massive projects for them..but then again that eventually brings its own issues.

Most of those homeless are US citizens..California needs to deport the homeless US citizens there back to the states they came from, same as abbot and desantos have been flying migrants out their states to other states..

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's always annoying as hell to see OP post an informative, nuanced article, and then posters with zero experience or study of the issue respond with their preset biases as if they didn't read shyt.

Would I go to you to get my medical issues diagnosed? Would I go to you to run my military campaign? Would I go to you to design my particle accelerator?

Then why should anyone expect an inexperienced, uneducated person like you know jack shyt useful about a complex issue like homelessness? More important, why do you think you know the answers when you've never gotten educated on the subject beyond reading what other like-minded ignorant people had to say?

Looks like the experts dont know what the hell they doing to me:mjlol:

Cali allowed China and Wallstreet equity firms to buy billions in real estate,jack up the prices. Has pro landlord laws that prevent them from doing shyt about it. And Im really supposed to believe their studies/testimony when they say

"It aint the drugs,it aint the mental illness,we need more real estate:whoa:"

wVDOf3.gif

#InCahoots

Sir Richard Spirit

Superstar
Daps
That stat is misleading because it's just looking at their last residence. But when you actually talk to them, a ton of homeless were people who lived somewhere else and were desperate, moved to California cause they were hoping to make it, might have briefly had a job or used their last savings to get housing for a short while, then ended up homeless cause they ran into the same difficulties that led them to flee to California in the first place.

Desperate people struggling to get by or living on a dream don't flee to rural areas, they don't congregate in the upper Midwest. They go to the big cities on the coast. Just because their last address is in California doesn't mean they were born there or grew up there.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't think California should work to serve them. Just that it's part of the explanation for why a lot more homeless people end up there.

I’m not doubting that a lot of people came from different states, but we have to acknowledge a lot of people are homes less due to local/state government policies. You don’t have close to 200,000 homeless students because people chased dreams that failed or they were desperate.