There is no JRPG better than Persona 4 (golden)

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I'm genuinely shocked that Xenosaga and Suikoden 3 keeps getting mentioned. I must live in the twilight zone or something.

True but Xenosaga is better than most JRPGs out there anyway.

Really? I thought those were pretty universally enjoyed. I'm pissed that the Suikoden series hasn't gotten more PSN/HD Remake love. The first one is on PSN but the rest of the series which was great...no where to be found.

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Persona 5 >>>>> ffxv versus or whatever that bullshyt is called

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Really? I thought those were pretty universally enjoyed. I'm pissed that the Suikoden series hasn't gotten more PSN/HD Remake love. The first one is on PSN but the rest of the series which was great...no where to be found.

I remember trying really hard to convince people to play Xenosaga. None of my friends would give it a try. I got my cousin to play it for a mere 5 minutes before putting down. Meanwhile they've all logged atleast 50 hours on Kingdom Hearts and FF games. I guess people were turned off by Xenosaga's complex narrative. People just want simple, straight forward shyt.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I remember trying really hard to convince people to play Xenosaga. None of my friends would give it a try. I got my cousin to play it for a mere 5 minutes before putting down. Meanwhile they've all logged atleast 50 hours on Kingdom Hearts and FF games. I guess people were turned off by Xenosaga's complex narrative. People just want simple, straight forward shyt.

Xenosaga was tough basically from jump, so I know a few heads who put it down fast...but for RPG heads, I think appreciation for the Xeno games is up there. Kingdom Hearts and the FF games have a way of easing you in but with Xenosaga it was straight to the fire.

Suikoden 1,2 and 3 are some of the best RPG's from PSOne on...my favorite series. My PS2 died before I could play the later joints, so I've wished that they would drop those on PSN for a while now.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Xenosaga was tough basically from jump, so I know a few heads who put it down fast...but for RPG heads, I think appreciation for the Xeno games is up there. Kingdom Hearts and the FF games have a way of easing you in but with Xenosaga it was straight to the fire.

Suikoden 1,2 and 3 are some of the best RPG's from PSOne on...my favorite series. My PS2 died before I could play the later joints, so I've wished that they would drop those on PSN for a while now.

If Xenosaga and Suikoden were truly appreciated within the 'JRPG-sphere' then we'd see Suikoden 6 and Xenosaga IV right now. The fact of the matter is that those two series aren't highly regarded within the JRPG world. Even on gamefaqs and neogaf people dismiss Xenosaga for being pretentious and 'too much'. The truly great games are often ignored for shyt like Persona and Kingdom Hearts (I'm sure I'll be negged) hence why JRPGs today are a shell of its former self.

Today we're being spammed with 3rd-rate NIS games highly rated among closeted pedophile weeaboos and Tales of Rehash with the same art design from 10 years ago. The Tales series is just as stagnant as Call of Duty. fukk I'm mad.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
If Xenosaga and Suikoden were truly appreciated within the 'JRPG-sphere' then we'd see Suikoden 6 and Xenosaga IV right now. The fact of the matter is that those two series aren't highly regarded within the JRPG world. Even on gamefaqs and neogaf people dismiss Xenosaga for being pretentious and 'too much'. The truly great games are often ignored for shyt like Persona and Kingdom Hearts (I'm sure I'll be negged) hence why JRPGs today are a shell of its former self.

Today we're being spammed with 3rd-rate NIS games highly rated among closeted pedophile weeaboos and Tales of Rehash with the same art design from 10 years ago. The Tales series is just as stagnant as Call of Duty. fukk I'm mad.

:ufdup: Persona is a truly great series in it's own right. Kingdom Hearts was great in terms of gameplay and it took a LONG time to get a true sequel after 2. That you're talking about a part 6 and a part 4 is a testament to those series' having clout and being liked when they dropped. Suikoden 2 and Xenogears both get classic treatment pretty much wherever I see discussions about all time great RPG's. Suikoden 3 and beyond get less lover for sure and the same with Saga but both series have a lot of appreciation. I though Suikoden got some PSP games?

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps

Xenosaga 1 was like a 7.25/10
Xenosaga 2 was i'd say a...4.5/10

But Xenosaga 3 was pretty much as close to perfect as you can get with a jrpg. 10/10 easily.

Persona games are cool but I don't get how they are suddenly the best jrpgs out now. 4 is pretty much a fukking rehash of 3 albeit with a different story. their battle systems always leave a lot to be desired as well. They are solid games no doubt but I can't in good faith put them in the legend category. and for p4 in particular how is it the best jrpg when other joints in the fukking series outclass it?

new age jrpg brehs :wow:

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I'd like to hear a justification for this. The only legitimate flaw I see with Xenosaga I was that it was a short game and the battle system maybe a little 'too much' for people (personally I enjoyed those epic long boss battles).

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Xenosaga 2 was i'd say a...4.5/10

But Xenosaga 3 was pretty much as close to perfect as you can get with a jrpg. 10/10 easily.

Persona games are cool but I don't get how they are suddenly the best jrpgs out now. 4 is pretty much a fukking rehash of 3 albeit with a different story. their battle systems always leave a lot to be desired as well. They are solid games no doubt but I can't in good faith put them in the legend category. and for p4 in particular how is it the best jrpg when other joints in the fukking series outclass it?

new age jrpg brehs :wow:
Maybe because they're good?? They're not even as popular as other JRPG games but now that they've been getting into the spotlight, it's getting the appreciation it deserves. Also the battle system is pretty good for what it is, nothing too complicated and I like the whole exploiting weaknesses to earn an extra turn. Also you are tripping, Persona 3 ain't outclassing P4Golden :laff:. Have you even played golden breh??? I'm playing 3Fes right now and in now way is it comparable to 4Golden from a mechanic standpoint, because of several things missing. Also how it is some new age rpg shyt when Persona 4 dropped in 2008??? That's not exactly new age, or is this one of those situations where you have to mention some obscure Snes RPG game as GOAT to get daps?

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I'd like to hear a justification for this. The only legitimate flaw I see with Xenosaga I was that it was a short game and the battle system maybe a little 'too much' for people (personally I enjoyed those epic long boss battles).

I really dig the story of Xenosaga, and it has some amazing moments and a great villian. But it just felt more like watching than playing for vast streches of time. The battle system was fine but a bit unintiutive, and at its heart it really was a dungeon crawler with cutscenes. that being said I did enjoy it, and the story was great to make up for any huge technical failures of it.

Maybe because they're good?? They're not even as popular as other JRPG games but now that they've been getting into the spotlight, it's getting the appreciation it deserves. Also the battle system is pretty good for what it is, nothing too complicated and I like the whole exploiting weaknesses to earn an extra turn. Also you are tripping, Persona 3 ain't outclassing P4Golden :laff:. Have you even played golden breh??? I'm playing 3Fes right now and in now way is it comparable to 4Golden from a mechanic standpoint, because of several things missing. Also how it is some new age rpg shyt when Persona 4 dropped in 2008??? That's not exactly new age, or is this one of those situations where you have to mention some obscure Snes RPG game as GOAT to get daps?

Breh...the persona series has had damn near the same battle system since like 96...stop it. I've played and beaten all of them. Ya'll come through on the back end like you actually know whats really real lol. Where did I say p4 isn't good? I just said its not on the level of a myriad of other jrpgs. Nobody in here is mentioning incredibly obscure shyt either. If you don't know what seiken dentetsu 3 is how are really calling yourself a jrpg fan :ufdup:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Breh...the persona series has had damn near the same battle system since like 96...stop it. I've played and beaten all of them. Ya'll come through on the back end like you actually know whats really real lol. Where did I say p4 isn't good? I just said its not on the level of a myriad of other jrpgs. Nobody in here is mentioning incredibly obscure shyt either. If you don't know what seiken dentetsu 3 is how are really calling yourself a jrpg fan :ufdup:
No it doesn't have the same battle system like the older ones, you exposing yourself there. :stopitslime:

Persona 1 had a grid based battle system where as Persona 2 deviated away from that. Persona 2 didn't even have social links. Also it had random encounters, something 3 and 4 doesn't have. Persona 3 has three different physical based attacks like slash, strike and pierce where as 4 didn't have none and persona 2 had a few different ones. Fusion skills are absent in Persona 4 and fusion weapons too.

Also you don't contract demons in persona 3 and 4 so Idk what you were talking about. Also, you're right, Persona 4 isn't on the level of other RPG games, it's on another level. Most RPG games seem to over use that cliched european medieval setting with generic looking characters and tropes that's seen in every other RPG game. Persona games just went for a more contemporary setting with typical HS students and some offshoot story relating to demons(shadows) and personas.

Even then Persona 4 is more of a self contained story that's not exactly close to the typical shin megami tensei storyline with the three factions. Also you just mentioned an obscure title, because i've never heard of seiken dentetsu and from seeing what it looks like, that shyt looks dated breh. Nobody ain't tryna play that shyt today. I also looked at Persona 1 and 2 and that shyt is dated too, nobody ain't trying to play that shyt.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man fukk Persona. shyt is overrated as fukk. Just a glorified high school simulator. P4 maybe solid but it's nothing to write home about. Shouldn't be mentioned in 'greatest JRPG ever'.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
No it doesn't have the same battle system like the older ones, you exposing yourself there. :stopitslime:

Persona 1 had a grid based battle system where as Persona 2 deviated away from that. Persona 2 didn't even have social links. Also it had random encounters, something 3 and 4 doesn't have. Persona 3 has three different physical based attacks like slash, strike and pierce where as 4 didn't have none and persona 2 had a few different ones. Fusion skills are absent in Persona 4 and fusion weapons too.

Also you don't contract demons in persona 3 and 4 so Idk what you were talking about. Also, you're right, Persona 4 isn't on the level of other RPG games, it's on another level. Most RPG games seem to over use that cliched european medieval setting with generic looking characters and tropes that's seen in every other RPG game. Persona games just went for a more contemporary setting with typical HS students and some offshoot story relating to demons(shadows) and personas. Even then Persona 4 is more of a self contained story that's not exactly close to the typical shin megami tensei storyline with the three factions. Also you just mentioned an obscure title, because i've never heard of seiken dentetsu and from seeing what it looks like, that shyt looks dated breh. Nobody ain't tryna play that shyt today.

I meant the basic concept of persona games battle wise have been the same. find weakness, get your double turns, repeat. shyt got stale a dungeon into 3/4. And looks dated? like jrpgs aren't an inherently dated genre anyway? Like you telling me that just cuz of graphics you wouldn't play ffx? or ff7, xenogears? chrono cross? Valkyrie profile? you serious right now?

take away the slice of life shyt in Persona 4 and you are left with an incredibly hollow experience if you don't completely dig the story.

at the end of the day there you can't really formulate a logical argument to say p4 is the best jrpg ever. its just a hilarious notion.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I meant the basic concept of persona games battle wise have been the same. find weakness, get your double turns, repeat. shyt got stale a dungeon into 3/4. And looks dated? like jrpgs aren't an inherently dated genre anyway? Like you telling me that just cuz of graphics you wouldn't play ffx? or ff7, xenogears? chrono cross? Valkyrie profile? you serious right now?

take away the slice of life shyt in Persona 4 and you are left with an incredibly hollow experience if you don't completely dig the story.

at the end of the day there you can't really formulate a logical argument to say p4 is the best jrpg ever. its just a hilarious notion.
FF7, X and others still look good as they have recent releases that are great looking. Also Persona 1 and 2 is dated compared to 3 and 4, it looks and plays very old and I don't have time to be grinding in some factory for 4 hours with random encounters.

Also are you serious?? Take away the slick of life shyt?? nikka that's EXACTLY a big part of the game?? the whole game is built around different arcanas and they play a role in fusing personas to get stronger and they actually tie into the story at some part near the end(for 4 at least).

I don't get this argument where someone says "take away this and bam!". I mean, take away any major part of a game and you can say the same for any of the games you mentioned. Take way summons from a final fantasy game and you're left with a hum drum RPG game with standard fare battle systems.

You may disagree, that's fine but Persona 4 being a great RPG even the best to some isn't far fetched. What makes you think any of the other games you mentioned deserve it over this one?? It's all subjective.

The story, characters, music, ambiance, plot, gameplay, pacing and whatnot is what I love about Persona 4, take away any one of those and it won't be the same. You take away one vital part of a game and it won't be the same. Hell, take away the MUSIC in Persona 4 and my opinion would be totally different right now. I also liked all the little touches added in Persona 4 Golden such as new social links, new music, new dungeon, some tweaks to the management system, new features such as the network function and added features such as a classroom feature where you can learn about the shadows and personas, the persona reveal clips, story fmvs, quiz show, extra epilogue, concept art in game, new music selection, going out at night, motorbike, new city etc. There's way more shyt added in Golden that justifies it's praise but if you only played vanilla Persona 4, I can see why you'd not understand the praise.

Last edited: