The Afghanistan - Taliban Conflict

Superstar
Daps
My father fought in Afganistan, I have Afghani friends (there's refugee resettlement in Cleveland), I currently do legal work for refugees as well as tenants, info from investigative journalists, specifically local ones, etc.

We backed the force against the Soviets, right? When that force fractured (and the Afghani Maoists effectively dissolved), a portion of them became the Taliban, right? Operation Cyclone was the program that funnel money and arms to what became the Taliban in the later years.

Right, they got money and resources but they formed themselves.

You’ve a great heart to work with the refugees. I hope they’re able to find acceptance from the surrounding communities. It’s been 10 years and 5 months since I left that place. We were in Khost, east of the Khost-gardez pass, with our brigade spread amongst paktya, paktika, ghazni, logar, parts of Helmand, and parts of khandahar.

Much of our leadership participated in op anaconda, and many other early operations (2002-2005). I’ve had friends in other major battles in the worst places. I was in Khost from 2010 to 2011.

Almost anyone of us who stepped foot outside their outposts and fobs can tell you the opposite about effort put into training and fighting along side them. I’ve seen them work independently and we’d have to slow them down at time because they’d get overzealous. The were always willing to help, they’ve even saved us at times. There were points where the haqqani stopped attacking us and focused on our Afghan outposts, thinking they’d have an easier time… They were wrong as fukk. What we’re seeing now is a result of back door deals.

Last edited:

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox

This is the result of trillions of dollars spent in 20 years. Entered the capitol without resistance and even cheering crowds. :mjlol:

How would staying 20 more years fix this.

It wouldn't. I feel for my Army & Marine brehs. They're probably pissed right now.

Friends and families on both sides torn apart for nothing.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
I get what you're trying to say but at the end of the day the USMilitary supports US foreign policy objectives. SOF has been fighting since forever. I was attached to 3rd group and there were Somalia and Bosnia vets on my ODA (twelve guys) while we were in Afghanistan we were in Somalia and Mali as well. A SF solider just got a Silver Star while serving in Somalia attached to Kenyan troops.

yeah i've seen some of your posts about being attached to an ODA. i've always wanted to ask some questions about that.

you didn't wanna go through selection?

Superstar
Daps
The vast majority of the projects the U.S. was supposed to start never got finished.
My dad was over there for a bit as were a couple of college friends of mine.

It's not even as tribal as it is regional and capitalistic. A fortified Afghan military full of dedicated soldiers would still get slaughtered by the Taliban - and I doubt an entire country of men and women who are five generations deep into endless bloody conflict one to spark another one.

You understand this sentiment because you actually got to go back home -

I feel you on the capitalist driven, behind the scenes, decision.

Regional ties were Almost non-existent. I can watch a man from Gardez drive through north through narizah district and be offered all kinds of kindness, goods, and services at a cost. If he broke down he’d be helped. I can watch that same man make a perilous drive East through chergatah and be completely ignored.he can go northeast to spend the night at Sabari/yakubi and be beaten within an inch of his life because he dared to stop there without being from there or knowing somebody. They’re extremely decentralized outside of larger cities. Money often stays where it’s spent or made.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
A lot of mistrust led to this situation. Where is the taliban getting funding from? Is it still opium trade?