The Afghanistan - Taliban Conflict

Superstar
Daps
i saw one news report that said they trained them to use high tech surveillance and close air support - both of which are only provided by the US military. once the US military pulled back, afghans had to fight without those two advantages that they were trained for. the taliban, on the flipside, are experienced at fighting without that, so they do simple infantry fighting better than the puppet army we left. without an air force, the afghan army is doomed.

they have their own surveillance and close air support (both fixed and rotor-wing and have been actively using it….. probably HAD, at this point. They aren’t “losing” battles in the sense we know. They’re quitting to go be with their families.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It’s only a matter of time before the fake dap fishing “militants” come in here defending the taliban :mjlol:
I don't think anyone is going to defend the Taliban.
But their support in the rural areas makes sense considering the conditions and that they pay cash - its like with ISIS or any of the other Islamist groups - they literally print out magazines that look like Vogue to advertise their opposition to the U.S. :mjlol:

Breh. I remember trying to train a Afghani to drive a truck :francis:

My man didn't understand the concept of how to turn it around. I just sat there and stared at him
They're whipping around the desert in old U.S. military vehicles, dude you were training was a dumbass :mjlol:

Superstar
Daps
We also trained and armed the mujahideen and several other groups that later became the Taliban and al-Qaeda.

The U.S. military didn't put much money, time, or effort into training the Afghani military, never helped increase their pay, failed to even implement basic infrastructure that would help them, or fortify the country at all.

Considering the state of the country post-2003 was directly a result of the U.S. and UK's decades of occupation and destruction - it's not surprising.

They were fukking around the entire time. Its an embarrassment.

The majority of the people working in armed forces there are doing it for a paycheck, and if the choice is between supporting the low-paying government currently backed by the same country that also created the Taliban - its a hard choice and the money is all that matters.

I have to ask. Did you form this opinion from news reports or going? Ali we didn’t “create” the Taliban. They come from the OG Afghan Army and Air Force. They used guerrilla warfare to fight the Russians and the US, among other nations, helped augment them with more weapons, the training to use them, and intel.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Taliban were choir boys when they had American support. Ronald Reagan even met them at the White House. FOH.

1280px-Reagan_sitting_with_people_from_the_Afghanistan-Pakistan_region_in_February_1983.jpg
The mujahideen was definitely still committing mass war crimes, they were just on our side in the Afghani - Soviet War, and hadn't quite gathered full governmental power.
That photo was taken in '83. There was no Taliban until '94. But I get your point...
Mujahideen was a pretty broad collective of groups and only some of them were Islamist or even Muslim at all.
They did train them but a lot of the Afghan army and police were also Taliban sympathizers or actual members. You cannot enforce American/western values on non American/western peoples. It will never work.

It's messed up but if the Afghan people can't fight for their country then oh well. I got friends that I served with that deployed over there and the situation was jacked up a decade ago so it's no surprise that this was going to happen.

As long as Afghanistan doesn't become a haven for ISIS or Al Qaeda to launch attacks against the United States then fukk em. :manny:
I can imagine the problem was less "American values" and probably more related to sheer money flow and infrastructure.
The U.S. is directly responsible for much of the failure there, so it makes sense that a weakened government military without much central governmental control can't perform well.
We would have had more progress working with and training the Talibans instead of fighting them and installing a weak, corrupt government. :manny: We could still be in talks with them, but it looks like China and Iran about to eat because we were too busy playing Captain Save a Hoe
The Taliban shares the same corruption, with far greater brutality.
We also did train them :lolbron:

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
I have a bad feeling about this. This happens every year around the anniversary of 9/11 for some weird reason. This country needs to learn to mind their own business, we already have enough problems.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
In one year just our task force successfully built two school, a big ass college, helped them improve their Poine stations, helped them train more police, reinforced their army after segregating from them then reintegrating with them. Trained medical staff and funded expansions to a hospital. Got the army, border guard, and police some experience. Helped teach agriculture to farmers across an area the size of metro Los Angeles. Reinforced commandos, army, police, fire dept, when they needed help. We also helped build roads and highways or protect them while they built them so they wouldn’t get shot at or kidnapped. All this while proverbially donkey fukking the haqqani/local Taliban. This is ONE augmented battalion sized task force. There we’re dozens doing the same thing in almost every province, unless they wanted little to no contact.

You only get small slices of news that only get released because news outlets consider them profitable. It’s wild you’d make that confident of an assumption with no experience on the subject. The don’t give af about the rest of the country, only their tribe, they made their deals long before we left. They’re now dripping their arms and going home to their families. They chose not to fight and it’s on them.
The vast majority of the projects the U.S. was supposed to start never got finished.
My dad was over there for a bit as were a couple of college friends of mine.

It's not even as tribal as it is regional and capitalistic. A fortified Afghan military full of dedicated soldiers would still get slaughtered by the Taliban - and I doubt an entire country of men and women who are five generations deep into endless bloody conflict one to spark another one.

You understand this sentiment because you actually got to go back home -

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I have to ask. Did you form this opinion from news reports or going? Ali we didn’t “create” the Taliban. They come from the OG Afghan Army and Air Force. They used guerrilla warfare to fight the Russians and the US, among other nations, helped augment them with more weapons, the training to use them, and intel.
My father fought in Afganistan, I have Afghani friends (there's refugee resettlement in Cleveland), I currently do legal work for refugees as well as tenants, info from investigative journalists, specifically local ones, etc.

We backed the force against the Soviets, right? When that force fractured (and the Afghani Maoists effectively dissolved), a portion of them became the Taliban, right? Operation Cyclone was the program that funnel money and arms to what became the Taliban in the later years.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
The US didn't go there to train afghan's military and build that country up. Among other things they went to build a generation of veterans for this military. They went to redefine SOF's mission, because they'll be relying on them more and more going forward. All you have to do is listen to these SOF veterans podcasts and you'll hear em talk about how when they went thru selection and training most of the cadre hadn't been to war. A few years after 9/11 all the cadre training future SEALS, Green Berets, Rangers, etc., were combat vets and the difference in the training was measurable. It was basically a 20 year "scrimmage."

And they went to add desert, mountain and urban warfare to this country's military doctrine in preparation for the big one. And can you all guess where that's gonna be?

Some of you nikkas need to spend your time on the internet a little better. Every answer to your basic ass questions can be found with just a little effort. Now we have page after page of ignorant nikkas misleading other ignorant nikkas.
I get what you're trying to say but at the end of the day the USMilitary supports US foreign policy objectives. SOF has been fighting since forever. I was attached to 3rd group and there were Somalia and Bosnia vets on my ODA (twelve guys) while we were in Afghanistan we were in Somalia and Mali as well. A SF solider just got a Silver Star while serving in Somalia attached to Kenyan troops.