NFL Week 3: What Have We Learned?!

Learn anything new?

• Total voters

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Mahomes sat behind Alex Smith who he was better than from day 1. He wasn't gonna throw for 50 tds in a raw rookie season though.

Alex is very smart though and I’m sure Mahomes was able to learn a lot from him. I think Mahones would have balked anyways even if he started day 1 cuz Andy is a beast and the Chiefs still had talent. Some of these awful teams drafting non pro ready qbs are doing them a disservice by putting them out there with crap coaching and crap talent around them.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Alex is very smart though and I’m sure Mahomes was able to learn a lot from him. I think Mahones would have balked anyways even if he started day 1 cuz Andy is a beast and the Chiefs still had talent. Some of these awful teams drafting non pro ready qbs are doing them a disservice by putting them out there with crap coaching and crap talent around them.
I think the real solution is having quality coaches who know how to bring a QB along slowly and who build a system around a QBs strengths. Too many of these coaches are hard headed and force the QB into their system even if it goes against the QB's skill set.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A lot has to do with where they're drafted. If late 1st or later like Love the expectation is there's quite a bit they need to learn before they see the field

Much of this talk is revisionist history off what's going on in Carolina but it's not realistic. You're not drafting somebody top 5 that needs to sit. If they're going that high, QB especially, they need to be playing otherwise what's the point
The point is you think they will be special, not that they are ready to be the guy in the pros at 22. Thats a rare breed. Then you add the fact that if you are drafting that high it usually means your team is shyt. Most QBs arent capable of lifting shyt, even some of the ones people fawn over. Even fewer are capable at 22 or 23 with zero experience at this level. It used to be par for the course for guys drafted early to sit. The likes of Vick and McNair sat. McNabb aint start out the gate.

I attribute the shift the rookie wage scale/stupid QB salaries. Teams tryna get the most bang for their buck before dudes command a record contract. And that still isnt foolproof (see Lawrence, Trevor and Deshaun, Nasty).

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
The point is you think they will be special, not that they are ready to be the guy in the pros at 22. Thats a rare breed. Then you add the fact that if you are drafting that high it usually means your team is shyt. Most QBs arent capable of lifting shyt, even some of the ones people fawn over. Even fewer are capable at 22 or 23 with zero experience at this level. It used to be par for the course for guys drafted early to sit. The likes of Vick and McNair sat. McNabb aint start out the gate.

I attribute the shift the rookie wage scale/stupid QB salaries. Teams tryna get the most bang for their buck before dudes command a record contract. And that still isnt foolproof (see Lawrence, Trevor and Deshaun, Nasty).
I personally think this changed because in the older days RBs were looked at as the game winners while QBs were there not to fukk up. So playing rookies who are more prone to mistakes didn't have the potential upside since they weren't slinging the ball as much. Once the league transfered into such a pass dominant league, being hamstrung with a bad QB is much more painful. Add in the biggest competitive advantage going in the NFL is to have a talented QB on a rookie contract. After the Seahawks success with Russell Wilson teams want to bring those QBs along as fast as possible since if you hit on one, the sooner you can build around them and have a few years of being contenders before actually having to pay those QBs.

bigde09

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The dolphins are a fire dumpster. Our skill guys on both sides are getting older. The speed element is no longer an advantage on the rest of the league if you play man press. And teams have figured it out. Further more, we don't have a legit WR 3 to really help out. We gotta utilize weapons like Smith in Max Protect, because our O-Lines are annually cursed and banged up. Teams are sniffing out every short yardage play, and we didn't give a HOOT in paying a legit backup QB behind TUA, even though we knew of his injury history. Flores put pressure on these boys to legtitimize Tua, and I feel paying a LEGIT backup, would've created alot of media chatter and whispers about Tua being supplanted. And we can't have that, if we/thefanbase and NFL has it that Flores was just a horrible abusive coach. Getting a legit backup who looks good, would do bad for that narrative. McDaniles being the "players coach" has to be the kayfabe we keep up with. Even to the detriment of the franchise. We are COOKED for the next decade and beyond. Quick rebuilds aren't in this teams future, because we always mess up with the rebuild that we do have. That's what I learned in Week 3, even though this has been true for MANY week 3s since Marino's retirement. Fire Chris Greer.
You see it…

drifter

Superstar
Daps

I'm curious to see a breakdown of QBs taken in the top 5-10, how many make it vs don't. Because off top way more in that range make it or at least become average than not. It's not about being the guy off rip like Stroud or w.e., it's about getting you acclimated to the speed and physicality and you showing enough flashes that teams know what they have and what they need to get to build around you. Like Caleb Williams now, Bears org weren't freaking out off Caleb not looking good his first games. But it's important he's out there so they can see flashes of what he is like he showed against the Colts, same thing for Daniels vs Bengals

Some of it is team building and taking advantage of the rookie scale but like I said, you can't draft somebody top 5 and have them sit. It doesn't matter what you think, they need to show at least glimpses and prove you right. It's just not realistic and if a GM drafted somebody like that they'd be on their way out that's the reality

broller

Veteran
Daps
Mahomes sat for almost a year, yes but...

Allen started his second game of his rookie season and he even came in in week 1 after Peterman stank up the joint

Lamar started part way through his rookie year (started after the Ravens 9th game)

Stroud started in week 1

Herbert started in week 2

Burrow started in week 1

Luck started in week 1

Newton started in week 1

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Mahomes sat behind Alex Smith who he was better than from day 1. He wasn't gonna throw for 50 tds in a raw rookie season though.

Alex Smith as the experienced veteran who multiple coaches said he was one of the smartest QBs in the NFL plus Andy Reid was like the perfect setup for some one with Patrick Mahomes unique skills. That's like training with 100 times gravity.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
The dolphins are a fire dumpster. Our skill guys on both sides are getting older. The speed element is no longer an advantage on the rest of the league if you play man press. And teams have figured it out. Further more, we don't have a legit WR 3 to really help out. We gotta utilize weapons like Smith in Max Protect, because our O-Lines are annually cursed and banged up. Teams are sniffing out every short yardage play, and we didn't give a HOOT in paying a legit backup QB behind TUA, even though we knew of his injury history. Flores put pressure on these boys to legtitimize Tua, and I feel paying a LEGIT backup, would've created alot of media chatter and whispers about Tua being supplanted. And we can't have that, if we/thefanbase and NFL has it that Flores was just a horrible abusive coach. Getting a legit backup who looks good, would do bad for that narrative. McDaniles being the "players coach" has to be the kayfabe we keep up with. Even to the detriment of the franchise. We are COOKED for the next decade and beyond. Quick rebuilds aren't in this teams future, because we always mess up with the rebuild that we do have. That's what I learned in Week 3, even though this has been true for MANY week 3s since Marino's retirement. Fire Chris Greer.
And just where are those QBs supposed to come from considering the state of QB play in the league?