Is it true BMWs are unreliable?

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
@The Burger King

You are far, far better off going BMW forums and asking this question. A lot of guys here don't know any better.

From what I understand, BMW's B58 inline 6 is actually reliable and is the same engine used in Toyota Supra. Yeah Toyota, the company that preaches reliability.

Do NOT get a female base model 230i:hhh::scust:

Get the M240i, 340i, or 540i. Those are the B58 engines with decent power and there's a huge aftermarket for performance. A tune will have you keeping up with or beating Camaros/Mustangs.

Veteran
Daps
Former BMW owner (E39 540i)
  • Regular maintenance is not cheap.
  • Repairs are not cheap. Parts and Labor are not cheap
  • Electronics on most models are mad suspect
  • If you have a house and garage and you are handy - the older models are very doable
  • New models - harder and harder to fix with more electronics
I wouldn't buy another one without having a daily driver - Toyota/Lex/Honda/Acura in the garage.

All that said, I do want to get another one in the future though..

@The Burger King

See this is what I'm talking about.:pachaha: This man talking about E39 which is a 2001 BMW which doesn't pertain to the OP in one bit.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Yo, so I got a huge promotion at work (basically tripled my income) and this fall when I’m back from vacation I’m going to get a new whip since I can afford something nicer now. :blessed:

Originally I was going to get a Camaro or a Mustang, but I wasn’t really feeling them like that when I saw them and test drove them in person.

I went ahead and test drove a Z4 and a 230i and I’m feeling them both but I’m a little hesitant because I’ve heard that BMW and German cars in general aren’t very reliable.

I already drive a Kia and I’m going to keep it for my day to day use (work, groceries, going to the gym, etc.)

I’d only use my BMW for weekend outings with my girl, the brehs, etc.

Affording the upkeep won’t be an issue either.

But at the same time I’ve heard some serious horror stories and I just wanted to get some firsthand feedback from brehs who own or have owned BMWs.

:salute: in advance
A Z4 and 230i are you female or a white boy? :gucci:

Yes they are reliable, the models you are looking to get they are 4cy turbos. If you gonna cop a bmw get you an X3 M40 or X5... later for that 230i shyt

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Former BMW owner (E39 540i)
  • Regular maintenance is not cheap.
  • Repairs are not cheap. Parts and Labor are not cheap
  • Electronics on most models are mad suspect
  • If you have a house and garage and you are handy - the older models are very doable
  • New models - harder and harder to fix with more electronics
I wouldn't buy another one without having a daily driver - Toyota/Lex/Honda/Acura in the garage.

All that said, I do want to get another one in the future though..
IMO their most reliable model is the X1 2016+

Daps
The first car I got on my own was a 2005 335i in 2010 then in 2014 I switched to a 2009 335i they had around 30k when I got them. Both were my favorite cars never had any issues I did all the maintenance myself but only issues I had were things like water pump and ignition coils due to me having that 2009 up until 2020. I was just stationed in Germany and drove a X4 my entire time and it made me want to get back on the BMW wave

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Op,

So you were making around 50k, now you're making 130K?

But yea, most European cars are unreliable. An Audi dealer told me I shouldve sold my A8 before 100k.
Bro thats sound advice, always trade up when the mileage hit 100k on any bmw, Benz and Audi. Its pretty much what I do.. I keep my Benz trucks until 75k miles or so and just trade in for a newer model of that Benz. You will never have any issues

Veteran
Daps

Yes they are reliable, the models you are looking to get they are 4cy turbos. If you gonna cop a bmw get you an X3 M40 or X5... later for that 230i shyt

This man bout to buy a $36k BMW. :russ:

If you can't afford at least new $55k for a luxury car you in the wrong section.:hubie: Or you can go used like me and live life on the edge.:mjlit:

areohbee824

Superstar
Daps
all 4 BMW’s I’ve had been somewhat newer, last one being a 2020 M340i. Think that goes for one maybe that’s a bit older and higher in miles. I do a lot of the basic stuff on my own

Veteran
Daps
nikka then why you asking such an obvious question :martin: Of course a new BMW is going to be reliable and if anything comes up you have their warranty. And you said it’ll be a garage queen anyways so you don’t have nothing to fret about.

I wouldn't say every new BMW. Their N63 was terrible even at 30k miles. It's gotten updated and a lot better now.

If op gets the Inline 6, then he'll be good IMO. That's BMW's bread and butter

The Burger King

Fast Food Gangsta
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
East Whopper City
Op,

So you were making around 50k, now you're making 130K?

But yea, most European cars are unreliable. An Audi dealer told me I shouldve sold my A8 before 100k.
I was making about ~$45k annually as a restaurant manager, yes.

Now I’m an operating partner on the corporate side and a district manager, so yes it took me up significantly.

The more restaurants you take responsibility for, the more they pay you.

I should’ve been at this amount years ago, but thanks to COVID the hospitality industry slowed down and I stalled.

The rest of the rise of income comes from a small catering business I run.

This man bout to buy a $36k BMW. :russ:

If you can't afford at least new $55k for a luxury car you in the wrong section.:hubie: Or you can go used like me and live life on the edge.:mjlit:
I knew someone would clown me for my choice, but what it really boils down to is I just like the way the cars look and drive.

I don’t have a wife or kids yet so I don’t really need anything with a whole lot of space.

Not only that but since I’m trying to grow my business I don’t want to spend more than like $60k on a car at this point, anyway.

This is just a little personal reward for myself for the hard work I’ve put in these last few years.

Plus, I’m just a very simple and easily satisfied guy :lolbron:

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
Yo, so I got a huge promotion at work (basically tripled my income) and this fall when I’m back from vacation I’m going to get a new whip since I can afford something nicer now. :blessed:

Originally I was going to get a Camaro or a Mustang, but I wasn’t really feeling them like that when I saw them and test drove them in person.

I went ahead and test drove a Z4 and a 230i and I’m feeling them both but I’m a little hesitant because I’ve heard that BMW and German cars in general aren’t very reliable.

I already drive a Kia and I’m going to keep it for my day to day use (work, groceries, going to the gym, etc.)

I’d only use my BMW for weekend outings with my girl, the brehs, etc.

Affording the upkeep won’t be an issue either.

But at the same time I’ve heard some serious horror stories and I just wanted to get some firsthand feedback from brehs who own or have owned BMWs.

:salute: in advance
It really depends on the car more than anything for the reliability aspect of any German car. If buying used, certified is preferred for the warranty and peace of mind; the more maintenance service records the car has, the better. The fluid change intervals for a German car is not a suggestion -- it's a requirement. Also, if you're going to wrench on your car yourself, you're hustling backwards if you aren't buying your fluids and brakes from FCP Euro. If you have any questions about VW/Audi or BMW (they're right next door to us), feel free to ask.

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
And for those who say an Audi/VW is unreliable -- had an A8 with 208k on it before it got backed into by a lifted F350. If you do plan on owning it until the wheels fall off, you better learn how to work on it to save yourself some money; also, replacing things based on age will save you some headaches on a German car. Don't just go by the mileage.

Disclaimer: my experience is not like most as I've got a ton of experience wrenching on German stuff.