Is it true BMWs are unreliable?

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
Not sure if it's 🧢 but I recently saw someone claimed BMW was third in reliability now, only behind Toyota and Honda
Some youtuber doing a review of his M340, he mentioned it's the same engine in the Supra but iirc that's still a BMW built engine. That was the whole point of Toyota working with them. Either way outside of the old 335s it's usually not the engine that's the problem, it's all the other expensive ass repairs related to BMW using plastic parts and other issues that sets people back

It was a while ago but I use to have to drive a coworker to pick up his 3 series during our lunch damn near weekly :dead:, every time he was spending like $800+ . Maybe try a lease to see how you like the brand before jumping in hardcore
The g20 is highly rated by jdm

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
If you buying a BMW newer than 2018 with low miles then you should be good. Get one that has great service history and make sure you follow all the maintenance intervals to a tee. Should be good money with whatever you decide to get.

In terms of German reliability it goes
MB > BMW > Audi
So it really depends on the model you choose. Obviously anything with M on it will probably be more beat on by it’s previous owner and maintaining it won’t be cheap.
I've never heard this. I've always known Audi at the top and BMW last.

Daps
German cars require stricter adherence to maintenance schedules than other cars. It's not so much that they're unreliable...it's that if you drive it hard and don't stay on top of the upkeep, you'll be spending $$$$$$ to fix problems that shouldn't have been problems.

If you do stay on top of things, the upkeep itself is more expensive but that's not really an issue if you have the money.

Not sure I'd DD a German but having it in the garage for weekend driving is cool. Of course if you're just going for a weekend driver, there are a lot of potential options (C8 Vette, Supra, 6 spd Miata etc)

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
Anybody seen or rode in the new i7 joint? I guess its their new flagship all electric high end luxury product they putting out.. I got to test one of them joints out this week and first time in awhile I was impressed with BMW.. :whew: That thing is NIIIIIIIIIIICE, they got the fully reclined seat in the back with dropdown landscape big screen.. I been telling everybody about that joint, definitely left an impression..

hope this link works

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
That’s cause the 3 is like their baby. Probably the most reliable of the non M vehicles.

I see folks are saying “stay on top of maintenance” and I did. Would go in and get all required maintenance at least 100 miles before service by dates/mileage. Still went to shyt. Just google about their turbocharger issues and my fave, vapor barrier issues. Had my floorboard in the back looking like a lake. And when they got replaced, water still ended up back there then it was “oh it may be the sunroof.” Go with something way more reliable or lease a BMW unless you love giving away your money. 75k seems to be the magic number when it comes to the turbos

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
That’s cause the 3 is like their baby. Probably the most reliable of the non M vehicles.

I see folks are saying “stay on top of maintenance” and I did. Would go in and get all required maintenance at least 100 miles before service by dates/mileage. Still went to shyt. Just google about their turbocharger issues and my fave, vapor barrier issues. Had my floorboard in the back looking like a lake. And when they got replaced, water still ended up back there then it was “oh it may be the sunroof.” Go with something way more reliable or lease a BMW unless you love giving away your money. 75k seems to be the magic number when it comes to the turbos
Yea i got the 7 year 100K cpo warranty. i plan to get an m3 in the 2yrs tho.

there's no better car than a bmw. I dont like the tlx or the lexus is. And infinity is not for me.

Last edited:

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
Yea i got the 7 year 100K cpo warranty. i plan to get an m3 in the 2yrs tho.

there's no better car than a bmw. I dont like the tlx or the lexus is. And infinity is not for me.

In terms of driving dynamics, Audi (S and RS) and the Cadillac V-Series/Blackwing cars are your only options.