HBCUs experiencing lower Black Male enrollment.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Brilliant post..black men expect help from the same group of women that they told "your degree won't keep you warm at night'...how they didn’t have the foresight, to see that they would eventually end up here is asinine to me...
the same analogy makes sense the other way. Again in a way women can't help boys because Boys know that the circumstances is different for Boys.

But to use the same analogy women don't do shyt for the community at large then get Mad when certain Members of the community don't help them you know Black women being the most unprotected thing.

No Man would say that they feel unprotected

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
The new model is the black aunties of today and in the future will not be as heavily invested into putting black men on. Black men have to work together and save themselves...this is what black women are doing...it's a harsh reality that black men refuse to accept...
shouldn’t black women want to save black men?

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Brilliant post..black men expect help from the same group of women that they told "your degree won't keep you warm at night'...how they didn’t have the foresight, to see that they would eventually end up here is asinine to me...

No:

1. Black men know better than to expect help from any woman that ain’t his Mama (and sometimes not even her)
2. “Eventually end up” where? The same place we already are?

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Black men don't need coddled to death.

Just go and get your education.

Start a community college if you need to start below 100 level classes.
Don’t need to be coddled? folks can barely fukking read or do math

What are the people who raising these boys doing

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
That doesn't explain why Black girls in high school average significantly higher GPAs than Black boys, or why their graduating high school on time at a rate closer to White boys than to Black boys. And just from what I've seen anecdotally, I'd be very surprised if there aren't way more Black female valedictorians than Black male valedictorians.
Who make up majority of the teachers at these schools?

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Black men said that?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Who make up majority of the teachers at these schools?

Women by far, of course. I've strongly advocated for more male teachers (which, of course, would require a lot more men going to college, something certain participants in this thread don't want to see happen). But while having men in the classroom definitely helps, it's not the end-all if we don't change pedagogies and structures too. Men can teach the wrong way for boys just as much as women can.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Women by far, of course. I've strongly advocated for more male teachers (which, of course, would require a lot more men going to college, something certain participants in this thread don't want to see happen). But while having men in the classroom definitely helps, it's not the end-all if we don't change pedagogies and structures too. Men can teach the wrong way for boys just as much as women can.
I’m just saying it’s a pattern, what is it about the education system now that gets boys lost in the sauce

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I’m just saying it’s a pattern, what is it about the education system now that gets boys lost in the sauce

Boys at that age struggle to sit still, so being forced to sit quietly and listen for 6-7 hours a day is impossible and leads to a continuous punishment cycle that causes the teacher to dismiss their potential and either makes the child completely antagonistic to school or resigned to just checking out.

Boys are more likely to be tactile/kinesthetic learners, so they don't learn as much from just sitting and listening. Girls at some ages (as a general trend) tend to absorb more from listening than boys do.

Boys are more rebellious, either for social reasons or genetic, so they're more likely to rebel when told they absolutely have to do something they don't want to do. While most girls are willing to go along with the system in order to get what they need out of it.

A large number of boys have interests (using their bodies, working with tools) that don't translate to pen/paper tasks very well, so school doesn't seem relevant to what they feel the urge to do with themselves.

This isn't new - as someone pointed out earlier, the Prussian form of mass education is the basic problem and that's been around since the 1850s. But several trends have cause the problem to worsen over time.

1) The teaching profession has lost prestige, causing more and more men to transition out of it. Elementary teachers have always been primarily women, but the administrators used to be men and by the high school level most of the teachers were men, especially in STEM. Now the elementary schools are often almost entirely female from top to bottom and even the high schools are dominated by women.

2) The ultra-focus on test scores has caused schools to double down on the worst parts of Prussian education, especially in Black/Brown schools. Recess and PE and music and other engaging subjects got cut out, testing and test prep began to dominate the school calender instead. Boys feel more and more that their entire role in school is to shut up, pay attention, and take multiple-choice tests.

3) The desire for conformity and "standards" has caused more and more top-down control of schools from the state level and the adoption of increasing restrictive standardized programs for teaching, to the point of many inner-city schools even using "scripted" instruction where the teacher literally has to read everything out of a corporate script they've been provided. Not only is this a terrible pedagogy that doesn't serve the needs of the students, it's also been part of what has driven men out of the classroom because male teachers don't want to spend their lives conforming to that bullshyt any more than their male students do.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
@Professor Emeritus
I imagine you agree that there needs to be some type of educational reform which I personally believe to be the case, the issue i see though is the powers that be refuse to invest into education like it needs to be, and by invest I mean more than just financially

It’s like the educational game is play to win and I do not know why decision makers allow this, fukk what the citizens think what type of logic is it to not properly educate your populace, I know people talk about folks wanting a dumbed down population but I think that’s the goofiest shyt in the world to purposely dumb down people that’s supposed to be used to run the country, like people and kids are the most important resource in the world and they actively poisoning them to the point immigrants about to take over every important industry, that’s a national security risk

Ahmen

Live as if BLM
Daps
Hope the next administration addresses this.

Summary

Black men account for only 26% of the students at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), down from 38% in 1976. In fact, there are fewer Black men enrolled at HBCUs today than in 1976. HBCUs have long served as valuable institutions for Black students, offering a unique environment that fosters academic achievement, mental well-being, and economic mobility.

More non-Black students offset these declines, but the reduced presence of Black men means fewer are benefiting from the supportive environments that HBCUs provide to help students succeed during and after college.

Key Takeaways

Enrollment of Black male students at HBCUs is currently below 1976 levels and declining more rapidly than in other colleges and universities.

The share of non-Black students at HBCUs is now about equal to the share of Black male students, at 26% and 25% respectively.

HBCUs enroll a higher proportion of lower-income students compared to non-HBCUs, and these students are nearly twice as likely to experience upward economic mobility.

This decline in Black male students is influenced by factors such as inadequate K-12 preparation, a lack of Black male teachers, and financial barriers both individually and institutionally.

Addressing these issues through targeted interventions and expanded funding may reverse the declining trend and increase the opportunities for Black men at HBCUs.
These are sobering stats. Depending which admin wins, what would you suggest they do?

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can see it. I was in downtown DC when Howard finished their graduation last year. It looked like a women's college. :manny: The news is disturbing but the trend has been going on for decades. IBlack boys are not a priority in high schools. Not to mention colleges the last few decades have been on some real bullshyt. I have yet seen a report or anything that correlates tuition increases to a better quality of learning.

It's over