HBCUs experiencing lower Black Male enrollment.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Hope the next administration addresses this.

Summary

Black men account for only 26% of the students at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), down from 38% in 1976. In fact, there are fewer Black men enrolled at HBCUs today than in 1976. HBCUs have long served as valuable institutions for Black students, offering a unique environment that fosters academic achievement, mental well-being, and economic mobility.

More non-Black students offset these declines, but the reduced presence of Black men means fewer are benefiting from the supportive environments that HBCUs provide to help students succeed during and after college.

Key Takeaways

Enrollment of Black male students at HBCUs is currently below 1976 levels and declining more rapidly than in other colleges and universities.

The share of non-Black students at HBCUs is now about equal to the share of Black male students, at 26% and 25% respectively.

HBCUs enroll a higher proportion of lower-income students compared to non-HBCUs, and these students are nearly twice as likely to experience upward economic mobility.

This decline in Black male students is influenced by factors such as inadequate K-12 preparation, a lack of Black male teachers, and financial barriers both individually and institutionally.

Addressing these issues through targeted interventions and expanded funding may reverse the declining trend and increase the opportunities for Black men at HBCUs.
One of the problems in our community is the belief that black women are all that's needed. It's important for black boys to see black men in high positions.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
@Professor Emeritus
I imagine you agree that there needs to be some type of educational reform which I personally believe to be the case, the issue i see though is the powers that be refuse to invest into education like it needs to be, and by invest I mean more than just financially

It’s like the educational game is play to win and I do not know why decision makers allow this, fukk what the citizens think what type of logic is it to not properly educate your populace, I know people talk about folks wanting a dumbed down population but I think that’s the goofiest shyt in the world to purposely dumb down people that’s supposed to be used to run the country, like people and kids are the most important resource in the world and they actively poisoning them to the point immigrants about to take over every important industry, that’s a national security risk

Having studied this issue for my entire adult life, I think there's two main factors at play.

#1. The average American doesn't have a goddamn clue what good schooling is. The vast majority of people who make policy and vote on policy have never studied education theory in their lives and don't have any idea what works and doesn't work. They tend to base their positions on however they were taught + vague principles they pull in from other disciplines that might not have the slightest relevance to education. So they're not always doing the wrong thing because they're malicious, they just don't have a clue.

Imagine if we had been so upset with the state of US basketball after that 2006 bronze medal that we decided to focus on the basic skills like free-throw shooting and began to make try-outs for every team dependent entirely on free-throw shooting competitions, at every level. Turn national team tryouts into a two-hour free throw shooting competition, making your college and high school team based solely on a free throw shooting competition, etc. Soon, teams would be spending half their practice time on free throws because that's all they need to advance to the next level. Eventually, you get to the point where you're cancelling the actual games because they're not helping your kids learn to win free-throw shooting competitions. Kids start to hate the basketball team more and more because all they do is shoot free throws and aren't learning anything real, but they're forced to keep playing and everyone is afraid to change anything because they don't want to reduce the emphasis on free throws and perhaps cost a kid a shot at the next level.

It sounds stupid, but that's a pretty good simplification of where a lot of educational policy is at.

#2. Way too many people in power don't have any skin in the game. Their kids either don't go to public school, or they go to the "good schools". The lower-end 50% of schools and especially the bottom 20-25% that really struggle don't have anyone with the slightest political power in their student body. So a lot of policy-makers simply don't have the urgency for the situation that those of us who live within and love those communities have.

If everyone in public service was required to have their kids in public schools and we truly integrated our schools across racial and socioeconomic lines, educational policy would look MUCH different than it does right now.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Having studied this issue for my entire adult life, I think there's two main factors at play.

#1. The average American doesn't have a goddamn clue what good schooling is. The vast majority of people who make policy and vote on policy have never studied education theory in their lives and don't have any idea what works and doesn't work. They tend to base their positions on however they were taught + vague principles they pull in from other disciplines that might not have the slightest relevance to education. So they're not always doing the wrong thing because they're malicious, they just don't have a clue.

Imagine if we had been so upset with the state of US basketball after that 2006 bronze medal that we decided to focus on the basic skills like free-throw shooting and began to make try-outs for every team dependent entirely on free-throw shooting competitions, at every level. Turn national team tryouts into a two-hour free throw shooting competition, making your college and high school team based solely on a free throw shooting competition, etc. Soon, teams would be spending half their practice time on free throws because that's all they need to advance to the next level. Eventually, you get to the point where you're cancelling the actual games because they're not helping your kids learn to win free-throw shooting competitions. Kids start to hate the basketball team more and more because all they do is shoot free throws and aren't learning anything real, but they're forced to keep playing and everyone is afraid to change anything because they don't want to reduce the emphasis on free throws and perhaps cost a kid a shot at the next level.

It sounds stupid, but that's a pretty good simplification of where a lot of educational policy is at.

#2. Way too many people in power don't have any skin in the game. Their kids either don't go to public school, or they go to the "good schools". The lower-end 50% of schools and especially the bottom 20-25% that really struggle don't have anyone with the slightest political power in their student body. So a lot of policy-makers simply don't have the urgency for the situation that those of us who live within and love those communities have.

If everyone in public service was required to have their kids in public schools and we truly integrated our schools across racial and socioeconomic lines, educational policy would look MUCH different than it does right now.
Aye I never heard nobody give that solution of all public service people having to send they kids to public schools, that could be a game changer

Even though they could just still hoard money to certain schools but it would be a step in the right direction

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Aye I never heard nobody give that solution of all public service people having to send they kids to public schools, that could be a game changer

Even though they could just still hoard money to certain schools but it would be a step in the right direction

I literally just made it up right now, but it's possible I heard it from somewhere and incorporated it subconsciously into the back of my mind.

It would never actually happen in America though, "Muh freedoms!" are too big here.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
I literally just made it up right now, but it's possible I heard it from somewhere and incorporated it subconsciously into the back of my mind.

It would never actually happen in America though, "Muh freedoms!" are too big here.
I mean it wouldn’t be too far off, like how they force city workers to live in the city, but you right people want the illusion of choice

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
How'd this thread turn into a BM vs BW thing? I was under the impression that BM typically go the trade route.
That’s literally all it really is. Men are more concerned about tangible routes to success because we don’t have the support system that women do if shyt goes left :manny:

I could’ve gone to a big university like all my girl cousins in my family but I got scared of getting myself into big time debt at a young age. I was gonna be a meteorologist but got cold feet. So I took a break after HS and didn’t start taking classes til I was 19-20 at community college.

In the meantime I had to deal with setback after setback in life due to health issues, financial issues and having to relocate across the country due to circumstances that slowed my progress. This made me go through a state of depression in my early 20’s (2012-2016) because I was watching everyone else graduate and move on with their lives while I was stuck working minimum wage jobs and tryna get some type of skill under my belt before hitting 30.

I did end up getting some acceptances to schools like Georgia State and St. Johns but I ended up opting for a technical school to get an associates degree in IT. This was payed for by the state with Pell Grants and I got to save my money I made from work. Finished in 2018 and got hired straight out of school for my first IT job, grinded for a few years while stacking aggressively and more than doubled my salary at my current job making in the 70-80k range with no debt and 70 to 80k in the bank because I avoided student loans. :blessed:

My point is that it takes black men longer to get to where they need to be and we have to sure in the path that we take because ain’t nobody gonna save us like women if we get into trouble. Trades and Certifications are more of a guaranteed path for us. :yeshrug:

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
I tell dudes go yo college if you can go for free or very close to free...like maybe 25% out of pocket max.

Going to school to go into debt before you even have a chance to gain experience is not a smart way to start life. That's advice I give youngsters and they say everytime they never hear it from anybody else. :wtf:

Barrimg that the armed forces and stick with that shyt. I know so many folks...yeah they had some rough years in the military but now that they are older they are on easy street. In a much better position than most college grads.

Barring that....trade school but don't get married. Get some money saved up. Enjoy yourself. Get to know who you are and what you really want in life. Life isn't a sitcom. Take time to be honest with yourself about yourself.
This 100 percent, I’m glad I was able to determine that an extreme debt adverse lifestyle was the way for me at a young age

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps

I wanted to an educational pasychologist and help fix this. After I graduated I took my Psychology degree and got a series of jobs in sales I was supposed to go to grad school but I said fukk it.

Probably would still be in corporate hell had 9/11 not happened.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I mean it wouldn’t be too far off, like how they force city workers to live in the city, but you right people want the illusion of choice
Well it can backfire too I went to school with Chris Barry son of Marian Barry the mayor of DC at the time.
Chris did less work than I did you think the teachers was gonna fail him?

timeless

All Star
Daps
That’s literally all it really is. Men are more concerned about tangible routes to success because we don’t have the support system that women do if shyt goes left :manny:

I could’ve gone to a big university like all my girl cousins in my family but I got scared of getting myself into big time debt at a young age. I was gonna be a meteorologist but got cold feet. So I took a break after HS and didn’t start taking classes til I was 19-20 at community college.

In the meantime I had to deal with setback after setback in life due to health issues, financial issues and having to relocate across the country due to circumstances that slowed my progress. This made me go through a state of depression in my early 20’s (2012-2016) because I was watching everyone else graduate and move on with their lives while I was stuck working minimum wage jobs and tryna get some type of skill under my belt before hitting 30.

I did end up getting some acceptances to schools like Georgia State and St. Johns but I ended up opting for a technical school to get an associates degree in IT. This was payed for by the state with Pell Grants and I got to save my money I made from work. Finished in 2018 and got hired straight out of school for my first IT job, grinded for a few years while stacking aggressively and more than doubled my salary at my current job making in the 70-80k range with no debt and 70 to 80k in the bank because I avoided student loans. :blessed:

My point is that it takes black men longer to get to where they need to be and we have to sure in the path that we take because ain’t nobody gonna save us like women if we get into trouble. Trades and Certifications are more of a guaranteed path for us. :yeshrug:
I'm glad that you found your path to success. Why did you get cold feet? We could've seen you on TV telling us about the weather in your Sundays best. 😉