Why The FUCC Is It SO Hard To Get Hired? (Have Any Of Yall Had This Problem?)

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution
that's my problem with it. I'm not good with making these little "fake" relationships just for the sake of getting ahead somewhere.. I like things to happen organically and I'm not good at being fake.
You don't have to be fake. Plenty of straight to the point people in this world. Soon as someone comes in the office after a weekend I'm throwing numbers and work at them. I always get hit with the "not even a hi, how was your weekend"

Same with networking, just tell people your goals and how you plan on achieving them. The key is to find people who share similar lifestyle interests as yours and are at a higher position in the field your looking to advance in.

Towlie

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the biggest myth amongst college grads is that their degree automatically earns them a job immediately after college

If you didn't major in an industry that is specialized that's not the case, takes time.

Advice to op: not sure if you're already doing any of this, but send a cover letter with every resume. If you're emailing your resume use the cover letter as the body and attach your resume.

Send different resumes (and cover letters) highlighting your strengths parallel to the job qualifications.

Call, hit the streets, shake hands. Prepare an elevator speech (pitching yourself in 30 seconds) for job fairs and hand to hands.

Daps
I wish I did.

What sucks is all that networking and knowing people bullshyt is just not my personality. I have a small group of really good friends and I'm not very good at small talk or bullshytting and networking just for the sake of networking. In fact, just the word "networking" makes my skin crawl.

I feel you on the networking part. I wish I could give u some advice but I don't know what to suggest other than maybe calling on your frat brothers if your in a frat or joining a young black professionals group. Or just starting out in something that wasn't your major. I have a business degree but I curr work in the medical field and I like it more. It's good to be versatile so u always have something to fall back on

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
I feel you on the networking part. I wish I could give u some advice but I don't know what to suggest other than maybe calling on your frat brothers if your in a frat or joining a young black professionals group. Or just starting out in something that wasn't your major. I have a business degree but I curr work in the medical field and I like it more. It's good to be versatile so u always have something to fall back on
He is white.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
I had this problem early on. My first job was a tutor but was federal work study, then I didn't work for a year. Then I got another fws job at the dining hall for about four years and now I work at Chipotle while I try to build my gaming business :yeshrug:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
You know how hard it is just to get someone to give you an interview? It's like pulling fukking teeth out here. I'm good in interviews, I'm a loner as well but I'm a good communicator and funny, I've been told multiple times I'm good in interviews but that they went with someone who had experience over me who just graduated and have none. Now I can't even get anyone to give me an interview.

Like I said get a linkedin if you dont have one, back in the day I would find the hiring manager for any job I applied to and email directly with my resume on top of actually applying to the job. Most of the type companies use software that tosses out resumes that dont have key words they define that are associated with the job. before applying to a job look at the job description and tailor your current resume to have words found on the resume or similar descriptions.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Depends on where you reside as well. I see you have VA up so I understand. I leaving Miami for LA to try so I know how fukked it is. Got to be able to move once you get some bread or a sucker together.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Depends on where you reside as well. I see you have VA up so I understand. I leaving Miami for LA to try so I know how fukked it is. Got to be able to move once you get some bread or a sucker together.

I hear LA sucks too, not as bad as MIA though, NORCAL is where the jobs are.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
I can honestly say that every job that I've gotten is because I knew someone. It's sad but if it wasn't for my father working for a successful company and his boss taking a liking to me I wouldn't have had many opportunities like I have. I'm gonna keep it real. The main reason that a lot of blacks are left out is because we don't have the generational backing like whites. They always have and uncle, cousin, family friend, etc that can usher them into positions
My father is a foreman of a construction job and he won't even hire me. However, he always love to talk shyt to me. It honestly makes me even more upset.