Why The FUCC Is It SO Hard To Get Hired? (Have Any Of Yall Had This Problem?)

Bilz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I have volunteer work from highschool and college. Plus, I put that down and still couldn't get hired. Most of these places I've sent my resume in too. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to job hunt again. Thing I hate is that online shyt. I'd rather fill out the application on paper and turn it in. BTW I have no major I have to take my A+ Cert well the first part in July and the second part in September. I've been sending out applications for the past year and two months.
Try talking to college professors you have a good rep with or with the places you did volunteer work at. See if they have any connections. If you're just sending in resumes from online job postings, there is nothing that makes you stand out. You'll need to include a cover letter and/or a link to an online portfolio of your work and hope for the best.

You can also try one of those job placement companies. Not a temp agency but one that works specifically for professionals in your field. They tend to undersell you but even if you get a job that is beneath you, you should be able to work up quickly if you're good.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
I was in the same boat as you less than a year ago. Even with experience on your CV, getting a job is tough but the key is to not just apply for any job but to be selective with what you apply for and really tailor your CV and covering statement. When you do that, plus having good grades, it definitely gives you an opportunity for at least a telephone interview.

It took me a few months to get my job and it was mentally draining and depressing at times but if you keep doing it he right way, you can end up in a good role by the end of it.

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Listen, I just finished college two weeks ago. Starting tomorrow I'm going job hunting again, so I won't be posting as much. Anyway, why is it so hard to get employed. Real talk, I filled out over 40 job applications and went to places personally and still CAN'T get hired. I never had work experience because I always focused on my studies. Have anyone else had a similar issue?

Degree? Credentials? Internships? GPA?

:camby: outta here with the bytching till these questions are answered

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
because this system is rigged and there aren't no jobs.....and the few that's out there, ppl practice nepotism and keep the jobs amongst friends and family....but keep grinding you'll find something
:iseeu:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm not a big fan of the whole beg for job shyt but on the real you might just have to be patient. The way the OP reads is like you started applying on Wednesday and didn't get a job by Friday and started stressing. If you have family or are in a secure financial situation you might look into taking an internship if it's in a field you're interested in.

• Dap
Reactions: jeh

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
check with people who graduated with you that you're super cool with, check with professors, check with other friends, check with your mentors if you have some, basically check with everyone you know who's connected directly or indirectly if they can refer you somewhere or for something.

maybe check for temp work agencies, etc (if it's common in your field). and put in the hours to be able to put it on your resumé.

check online for those websites where people post up adds for independant work they need (again shyt you could put on your CV if it applies PLUS you get a contact reference).

keep your eyes and ears open. the hustle will see you through. always remember it's not how hard you work, it's how smart you work.

exactly lol folks fail to realize Volunteer roles aren't paid so they can't be taxed thus no paper trail. So If you helped clean up the computer lab for your professor you can call that an internship as long as you aware your professor that they might be contacted by an employer, and then during your interview you can finesses your stories to fit the role of the job.

The only thing you can't do is make up jobs and put them on your resume as those have paper trails and when they do the back ground check they would be on there.

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
Plain and simple, the color of your skin hinders you with many of these devils. Not saying that's the main reason why for you bc it's only been a couple weeks, but the sad reality is that a lot of these white folks don't want to hire people who look like us. They have also done studies that show that resumes will be passed over if they have names that sound 'black' or 'ethnic' for ones that sound 'white.' This is the mind of the beast in today's world. If I were you I would approach some companies in your field about working unpaid internships with the possibility of being hired on full time after a few months. Or you could just keep up with the resume-shopping. Good luck either way.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Degree? Credentials? Internships? GPA?

:camby: outta here with the bytching till these questions are answered

Unless you are trying to be a doctor/go into law, or work at some ultra conservative private company all you need is a degree and experience, GPA means nothing.

And also lotta dudes have to realize they have worthless degrees and can't expect companies to hire them just because they went to college. When I was a HS freshmen I looked up what I wanted to do in life and looked at the 10,15, and 20 yr outlook and saw I was good money. Lotta cats go to college not knowing what they want to do and just pick something that sounds cool or they heard was "Easy". IMO it is more beneficial getting any job you can and taking a year off after HS to find your self and what you want to do in life and then enroll in College, because after seeing how crappy life is without some type of education or formal training you will take school way more serious and have a plan of action to accomplish your goal. I was too poor to just go to college and go with the motions of landing where ever life took me, I went in with a plan and made sure I graduated in 4 years.

ryda518

Randy Orton=Legend Killer
Daps
Reppin
bx all day
It's not about what you know but who you know

Do you have a linkden account? Do you know anyone in the school and major who went through? How are they doing? If you want to work in a certain area are you going to that area?

Connections is everything right now

• Dap

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
It's not about what you know but who you know

Do you have a linkden account? Do you know anyone in the school and major who went through? How are they doing? If you want to work in a certain area are you going to that area?

Connections is everything right now
I'm a loner I don't know anyone. No, I don't have friends or anything. I've always stayed to myself and focused on myself.

• Dap

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Plain and simple, the color of your skin hinders you with many of these devils. Not saying that's the main reason why for you bc it's only been a couple weeks, but the sad reality is that a lot of these white folks don't want to hire people who look like us. They have also done studies that show that resumes will be passed over if they have names that sound 'black' or 'ethnic' for ones that sound 'white.' This is the mind of the beast in today's world. If I were you I would approach some companies in your field about working unpaid internships with the possibility of being hired on full time after a few months. Or you could just keep up with the resume-shopping. Good luck either way.

I`m going to be straight up, if you can get an interview being black will give you an advantage as the simple fact the company even interviewed you means they are looking for a replacement "negro" or aint tripping on race. IMO not getting interviews is one thing, but if you are getting a ton of interviews and no offers you need to look at yourself because you are doing something wrong. IMO lotta cats are smart as hell but so smart they have zero street smart, lack confidence, and suck at public speaking. A street smart, well spoken, confident person will get a job over the smartest awkward person. Companies hire sociable people because at the end of the day they are going to teach you what you need to know, and you have to be able to work well with others and or manage a team, so IDC if you are Einstein, if you are a awkward square or hard to work with you aren't getting the job.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm a loner I don't know anyone. No, I don't have friends or anything. I've always stayed to myself and focused on myself.
being reserved is one thing, but if you are awkward you won't get hired by anyone. I got every job I've had by charming and captivating interviewers.