Why "Self Publishing" is bad for consoles

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
Put it this way. Right now according to users Ryse is the best game on Xbox.

If didn't do any research of my own. I'd log on and buy Ryse. This isn't a problem when there are only a few available, but when there's hundreds even thousands of games, there's no what In hell you can research them all
And I'm sure the other titles around it are NBA 2K, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
I know we've been hearing how great "self publishing" is since Sony announced they would be allowing it and devs all over the world rejoiced.

Form a game devs perspective self publishing and other non restrictive policies from platform holders are great. They allow you the get your game on the platform without worrying about politics/business

Form a console gamer standpoint, self publishing just allows an abundance of trash to fog up the game store standing in the way of the truly special games.

The way things are going now, the X1/PS4 online stores are gonna end up like iTunes or steam. And thats not a good thing. Your gonna have to sift through 99 copies of flappy bird, just to get to Limbo 2. The crappiest games will find tricks to make it to the top of the list, while some really good games will go unnoticed. This is somewhat acceptable for steam and mobile game customers because part of the magic is playing through the games and discovering the good ones. Console gamers have become accustomed to sitting down and playing quality games, there is no time to try out countless indie games just to make it to a good one.

I'd much rather have it where only proven/very promising games were allowed on consoles. Let them get their weight up on iphone/PC before they jump to the big time.

Seems like everyone jumped on the "self publishing" bandwagon without really thinking about what it means from a consumer standpoint.

Thoughts?:popcorn:
I seen the thread where dude was like you shouldn't have thread making privileges, keep makin em' mad :salute:
With that said, you are 100% correct... yet you still are incorrect to a degree.
Basically, all that really needs to be done is for a store to have an indie section
On Xbox 360, the only console to have indie games :win:
Its exactly what you are saying. And thats with just indie games, crappy games make you miss the good ones

And those devs wanted to have there games mixed in with the normal arcade games.. THEY WANTED THAT
fukk THAT
So I understand your gripe. But at the end of the day, its up to our console makers, or phone makers/etc to make a suitable marketplace for all that shyt

Whats hilarious is all the xbox haters that have no clue what you are talking about, and will throw SHADE on you for speaking the truth. Those morons believe that a good percentage of indie games are good. Or that they are like the indie games that get published by major companies :snoop:

No, indie games be lookin like @Kodie volleyball game.
:lolbron: I kid
And yet I'm not. Cuz when a new arcade title drops. You don't want to sift thru 100 volleyball games everytime you want to find something new. Thats how it is with indie games. You'll see gamers...

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
Run Thru U Like Skattebo
the free games on PS+ have been well curated by sony. resogun and outlast are quality. also, games journalists are supposed to be making us aware of the good stuff. consequently, i knew about resogun and outlast well in advance.

i think as long as sony, MS, and nintendo all do their part to highlight stuff, as well as the gaming journalists, we all should be able to eat well.

furthermore, console gamers are used to having their store shelves dominated by the biggest publishers regardless of quality, so no, they are not used to only playing good stuff. the hardcore console gamers have always used games journalists to help them sift through the crap, and the casuals have always taken gambles buying whatever looks cool in the store.

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
"fishing" doesn't really bother me. i've found a couple of gems on steam and movie streaming sites just randomly looking through their library.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Thread would make sense if the OP just woke from being in a coma since 1995 and had no idea how to work a Search engine, or navigate the internet. Thread is like those late night commercials that try to sell you some bullshyt item that solves problems that no one in the real world has. Like @Ed MOTHEREFFING G said I can't imagine anyone sitting there completely :dwillhuh: at the prospect of having to search for the games they want, or not being able to narrow it down once they find them.

The world we live in today, you can research literally anything you want to know about. You can research quantum mechanics on the internet, if you can't figure out how to use the internet to check out an indie game before you buy it the problem is you, not self-publishing.

Fred.

502Nels

Pro
Daps
Reppin
TheVille
Nah as usual. People who have absolutely nothing intelligent to add run in making posts such as the one you did.

You see how some people like @Kodie:salute: can come in and give his opinion/experiences and add something of value to the thread, even if he disagrees with it.

The rest of you are just mindless sheep. Don't even know why you want self publishing on consoles. You just heard the Internet say it was a good thing so you jumped on the bandwagon.

You the one not saying anything intelligent as many people in this thread have already pointed out. We live in a world where any and everything is easily researchable. If you want to know how good something is read a couple of reviews. It's not that hard.

And who said I wanted self publishing? I don't plan on making a game anytime soon so I don't really care who's doing the publishing. I just want good games and I know how to find them whether they're indie or from a bigtime publisher.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thread would make sense if the OP just woke from being in a coma since 1995 and had no idea how to work a Search engine, or navigate the internet. Thread is like those late night commercials that try to sell you some bullshyt item that solves problems that no one in the real world has. Like @Ed MOTHEREFFING G said I can't imagine anyone sitting there completely :dwillhuh: at the prospect of having to search for the games they want, or not being able to narrow it down once they find them.

The world we live in today, you can research literally anything you want to know about. You can research quantum mechanics on the internet, if you can't figure out how to use the internet to check out an indie game before you buy it the problem is you, not self-publishing.

Fred.
/Thread.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Fred.
:comeon: so everybody pretends like discoverability is never an issue for platforms like steam and iTunes. All the best games are easy to get to and thousands of bullshyt games on a platform has no effect on anything.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You the one not saying anything intelligent as many people in this thread have already pointed out. We live in a world where any and everything is easily researchable. If you want to know how good something is read a couple of reviews. It's not that hard.

And who said I wanted self publishing? I don't plan on making a game anytime soon so I don't really care who's doing the publishing. I just want good games and I know how to find them whether they're indie or from a bigtime publisher.

Thanks for completely missing the point adding nothing at all:camby:

Kodie

Pro
Daps
:comeon: so everybody pretends like discoverability is never an issue for platforms like steam and iTunes. All the best games are easy to get to and thousands of bullshyt games on a platform has no effect on anything.
I personally would argue that discoverability is better on Steam than it is on PSN or XBLA. That said, discoverability on Steam can certainly still improve. I also think that you can Hex's point of using alternative methods is legit. You shouldn't be being burned and blaming the storefront. There are more than enough resources for you to do your own research and get burned minimally.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Steam is inundated with trash
There is no reason to curate...you are slow as fukk when it comes to this games shyt man.

A completely open system is what causes problems for publishers and indie developers to make money (such as Android)
A "Closed" and "Open" system such as iTunes/Steam is what has been proven to work

The iTunes/Steam model is PERFECT for the PS4 and XBOX One

With options everyone wins and the tools to narrow shyt down makes it easy.

Daps
Self publishing does not mean that Sony and Microsoft are gonna open the floodgates to anyone like Android, iOS, and Ouya They are still going to make sure that the games aren't total crap.