Why "Self Publishing" is bad for consoles

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Yes. Unless you spend your day researching devs and their products you will miss out on the good games and it can, and will turn console gamers off from indie game downloads all together.

For example I thought ridiculous fishing was one of the best games released last year on any platform, yet I bet most people here have not even heard of it, let alone played it. I found it cause I wanted to play a fishing game so I searched fishing. 100s of games came up, and I got lucky and picked the right one. Had I picked I different game I'd know nothing about it

Jimquisition put me up on Ridiculous Fishing. I basically don't think this ish is going to effect me at all. When I'm in the mood for something new, I ALWAYS see if I could find some reviews and gameplay vids. If I'm desperate I'll look around this forum and see what heads are rocking (had no interest in some games until heads here hyped 'em...Vanquish and XCom are games I'd have overlooked well before Papers Please or Dive Kick). I think majority of the cats who are visiting a forum like this, won't have an issue figuring out what gems are out there.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I know we've been hearing how great "self publishing" is since Sony announced they would be allowing it and devs all over the world rejoiced.
:rudy: nikka, you do realize that Sony has been allowing self-publishing on the PS3 & I think the PSP, for years, right? It's because the PS4 is very developer-friendly (compared to the PS3) that Sony is heavily promoting their self-publishing policies now.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Jimquisition put me up on Ridiculous Fishing. I basically don't think this ish is going to effect me at all. When I'm in the mood for something new, I ALWAYS see if I could find some reviews and gameplay vids. If I'm desperate I'll look around this forum and see what heads are rocking (had no interest in some games until heads here hyped 'em...Vanquish and XCom are games I'd have overlooked well before Papers Please or Dive Kick). I think majority of the cats who are visiting a forum like this, won't have an issue figuring out what gems are out there.

Sure like I said you will find the games that get picked up by a publication, but think about the ones that don't. There's no way to read up on thousands of games in order to make the right choice.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Sure like I said you will find the games that get picked up by a publication, but think about the ones that don't. There's no way to read up on thousands of games in order to make the right choice.

The best ones always wind up getting some kind of hype train though, especially for gamers like the cats on this forum. I'm still not sweating this issue at all. Casual fans may be in trouble, but that's not gonna be a problem for me. I'll be able to find games I like and the ones that are so good they can't be missed will end up in an article or a post or a review that grabs my attention sooner or later.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
OP be honest

Is the only reason it's bad is because Sony announced they'd be doing it?

:comeon: Microsoft is doing it too

The best ones always wind up getting some kind of hype train though, especially for gamers like the cats on this forum. I'm still not sweating this issue at all. Casual fans may be in trouble, but that's not gonna be a problem for me. I'll be able to find games I like and the ones that are so good they can't be missed will end up in an article or a post or a review that grabs my attention sooner or later.

I just don't like the idea of "sooner or later" while hundreds of trash games sit at the top of the lists.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Care to elaborate? Does iTunes or steam not have hundreds of trash games for every one good game?
How does that affect your ability to find 'truly special' titles? If a game is good, when has too many other options prevented you from finding them?

I really think you invented this problem

Last edited:

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
Your assertion is incorect. Most of us here have consoles and most of us here also play games on phones/tablets

I agree, and this was the case last gen, when platform holders put restrictions on who could make a game for the platform. Those restrictions are now gone. Which is what this thread is about

Steam is inundated with trash just like iTunes.
Yeah, but we are gamers, not the majority of people out there. So no shyt we're going to play games on whatever platform we can get our hands on. We game regularly. Its normal. My mom plays doodle jump and flappy bird. She doesn't play fukking Limbo. And she sure as hell isn't going to own a Xbox 360, so why would her tastes and people with tastes like hers be reflected on there?

It doesn't make any sense, breh. Everyone owns cell phones. Most of those people download bullshyt on them. And a minority of those people are actually "gamers" aka people who own a console or play on steam/whatever. It is not the case with the gaming consoles. People don't buy PS4's and Xbox One's to play doodle jump. Even the casual console owner plays shyt like Madden or Call of Duty.

:camby:

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
tell me some more about how drm/always on and no used games is a good thing

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Truly special ga

How does that affect your ability to find 'truly special' titles? If a game is good, when has too many other options prevented you from finding them?

I really think you invented this problem

Indie games are so numerous that most do not get reported on. If you wanted to load up your console and buy/play a game that has not been advertised to death, then you have to sift through a bunch of trash to find the good games. This is somewhat ok for iphone games because you a really just looking to waste time anyway. When I go home to play on my console I don't want to waste time. I want to load it up and play a good game. I don't want to spend hours searching for one, and I don't want to waist time/money downloading a bunch of shytty games.

So what happens is people will just go for the tried and true games, and games/devs that truly deserve praise get lost in the sea of trash games. It happens daily on steam and ios.

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
:comeon: Microsoft is doing it too

I just don't like the idea of "sooner or later" while hundreds of trash games sit at the top of the lists.

The "sooner or later" probably works better for me since I have an insane backlog anyway. I don't got time to play/beat everything that I come across and this year I'm gonna be on HD remakes so heavy that a bunch of new joints are gonna come out, get hyped early and wind up with that "in retrospect...not that good" deal before I waste money.

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
Indie games are so numerous that most do not get reported on. If you wanted to load up your console and buy/play a game that has not been advertised to death, then you have to sift through a bunch of trash to find the good games. This is somewhat ok for iphone games because you a really just looking to waste time anyway. When I go home to play on my console I don't want to waste time. I want to load it up and play a good game. I don't want to spend hours searching for one, and I don't want to waist time/money downloading a bunch of shytty games.

So what happens is people will just go for the tried and true games, and games/devs tact truly deserve praise get lost in the sea of trash games. It happens daily on steam and ios.
but you dont...I don't believe for a second this has ever happend to you. download count, ratings, name search, publisher search...if you're looking for a good game I don't beleive you have had trouble finding it because of 'so much trash'.

It makes no sense..you aren't spending hours searching for a game...be honest