Why "Self Publishing" is bad for consoles

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Another terrible thread from Meach

Nah as usual. People who have absolutely nothing intelligent to add run in making posts such as the one you did.

You see how some people like @Kodie:salute: can come in and give his opinion/experiences and add something of value to the thread, even if he disagrees with it.

The rest of you are just mindless sheep. Don't even know why you want self publishing on consoles. You just heard the Internet say it was a good thing so you jumped on the bandwagon.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Meh, I hear about a plethora of games by visiting various sources/providers of information that haven't steered me wrong before. Word of mouth is a crazy thing(that's why games like Angry Birds, Draw Something, Flappy Bird become overnight sensations), and when you put that around gamers that fukk with dope shyt and spread that around, you don't need to browse the game stores looking for some random gem to play like some bored chump because you'll already have an idea of what you're getting into.

I see what you're saying but I've never DL'd some pure bullshyt off the strength of it being at the top, nor have I sifted thru a ton of clutter(search ftw). I usually know what I'm getting into. If I do stumble across some random shyt that seems interesting, I'm Googling that shyt. Not tryna waste $3.99 on trash :ufdup:

I hear this and I understand what your saying. I just wish consoles didnt go down this path. I wish you could log on and be reasonably sure you aren't just throwing money away.

As it stands its more about a game getting lucky and going viral than it is a game being quality

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Last gen you could log on to xbla and pretty much be sure you were gettin at least a decent game.

weren't there many complaints that it was cluttered with Minecraft clones and such?

I don't think you have to worry about '1000's of games' because chances are you won't have time to play them all, regardless if they're good or not. after that you can have the luxury of letting other people try them out for you, and then making a more educated purchase. you also have the option to only worry about these so-called "quality games" put out by big publishers

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
weren't there many complaints that it was cluttered with Minecraft clones and such?
The two stores were separate. The indie wilderness was separated from xbla. That's been changed for X1

I don't think you have to worry about '1000's of games' because chances are you won't have time to play them all, regardless if they're good or not.
The problem isn't playing them all. The problem is researching them all

after that you can have the luxury of letting other people try them out for you, and then making a more educated purchase.
"The free market" doesn't always work as expected
you also have the option to only worry about these so-called "quality games" put out by big publishers
I don't want to have to do this, but I will if xbla turns into the iTunes Store. This is why I said self publishing is not a good thing on consoles. It will turn people away from buying indie games altogether.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Nah as usual. People who have absolutely nothing intelligent to add run in making posts such as the one you did.

You see how some people like @Kodie:salute: can come in and give his opinion/experiences and add something of value to the thread, even if he disagrees with it.

The rest of you are just mindless sheep. Don't even know why you want self publishing on consoles. You just heard the Internet say it was a good thing so you jumped on the bandwagon.

Yeah, its everyone else thats mindless sheep. Funny how every single one of your "opinions" is just parroting microsoft horse shyt.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
The two stores were separate. The indie wilderness was separated from xbla. That's been changed for X1

and your statement was about xbla on last gen, when there were complaints about it being cluttered with Minecraft clones and such

The problem isn't playing them all. The problem is researching them all

you don't have to research them. you can just sit back and wait to see what it is it seems a lot of people like. sure you might miss something that you would have enjoyed. but that seems inevitable regardless. that game might not have made it through the vetting you're suggesting either

"The free market" doesn't always work as expected

the free market doesn't always work as expected with big budget "high quality" games either. there's always a chance you'll buy something you don't like, or something that you don't think lives up to it's hype (I seem to remember you having some minority opinions on the 'casablanca of gaming')

I don't want to have to do this, but I will if xbla turns into the iTunes Store. This is why I said self publishing is not a good thing on consoles. It will turn people away from buying indie games altogether.

but it seems to be more or less what you're suggesting. just ignore anything without a big publisher. again, I guess the fear is that you'll miss out on something. but again, you can still find out about those things through 'word of mouth'

*goes to play Rust*

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
and your statement was about xbla on last gen, when there were complaints about it being cluttered with Minecraft clones and such
There were no complaints of clones in xbla. Those were in the indie store, which I and many people quit using because it was trash. For this gen the trash is mixed in with the good stuff.

you don't have to research them. you can just sit back and wait to see what it is it seems a lot of people like. sure you might miss something that you would have enjoyed. but that seems inevitable regardless. that game might not have made it through the vetting you're suggesting either
I understand this. The point is I'd rather this not be the case for consoles.

the free market doesn't always work as expected with big budget "high quality" games either. there's always a chance you'll buy something you don't like, or something that you don't think lives up to it's hype (I seem to remember you having some minority opinions on the 'casablanca of gaming')
Not liking a game as much as expected is not the same is buying a game that doesn't even deserved to be played like the overwhelming majority of iTunes games

but it seems to be more or less what you're suggesting. just ignore anything without a big publisher. again, I guess the fear is that you'll miss out on something. but again, you can still find out about those things through 'word of mouth'
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying games should have to somewhat prove themselves before being allowed into the main X1 online store. I liked the way xbla worked last gen. There where plenty of good quality indie games on there, without much shovelware. And word of mouth just told me to download flappy birds:comeon:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I'm saying games should have to somewhat prove themselves before being allowed into the main X1 online store.

prove themselves where though? I agree consumers should have proper filters and/or separate stores