Why "Self Publishing" is bad for consoles

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
but you dont...I don't believe for a second this has ever happend to you. download count, ratings, name search, publisher search...if you're looking for a good game I don't beleive you have had trouble finding it because of 'so much trash'.

It makes no sense..you aren't spending hours searching for a game...be honest

I don't even go into the App Store and search anymore. I've been burned by too much trash. If a game gets advertised I will give it a download, but if it doesn't I won't. I don't want that to happen with the consoles. Last gen you could log on to xbla and pretty much be sure you were gettin at least a decent game. If the Xbox store become like iTunes I will no longer be doing that.

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
I don't even go into the App Store and search anymore. I've been burned by too much trash. If a game gets advertised I will give it a download, but if it doesn't I won't. I don't want that to happen with the consoles. Last gen you could log on to xbla and pretty much be sure you were gettin at least a decent game. If the Xbox store become like iTunes I will no longer be doing that.
I'll move on, but I don't believe you were ever just blindly buying games off GP with no research, ever, at any point in your life, online or not. A bigger library of games won't cause you to get bad games because you're not looking at every game, and you never were, and never will.

Prince Akeem

Its not that deep breh....
Daps
Truly special ga

How does that affect your ability to find 'truly special' titles? If a game is good, when has too many other options prevented you from finding them?

I really think you invented this problem

7ot5c9fwned9.png

Kodie

Pro
Daps
I know we've been hearing how great "self publishing" is since Sony announced they would be allowing it and devs all over the world rejoiced.

Form a game devs perspective self publishing and other non restrictive policies from platform holders are great. They allow you the get your game on the platform without worrying about politics/business

Form a console gamer standpoint, self publishing just allows an abundance of trash to fog up the game store standing in the way of the truly special games.

The way things are going now, the X1/PS4 online stores are gonna end up like iTunes or steam. And thats not a good thing. Your gonna have to sift through 99 copies of flappy bird, just to get to Limbo 2. The crappiest games will find tricks to make it to the top of the list, while some really good games will go unnoticed. This is somewhat acceptable for steam and mobile game customers because part of the magic is playing through the games and discovering the good ones. Console gamers have become accustomed to sitting down and playing quality games, there is no time to try out countless indie games just to make it to a good one.

I'd much rather have it where only proven/very promising games were allowed on consoles. Let them get their weight up on iphone/PC before they jump to the big time.

Seems like everyone jumped on the "self publishing" bandwagon without really thinking about what it means from a consumer standpoint.

Thoughts?:popcorn:
Self publishing and curation is definitely an issue. Valve is working on a solution but in the meantime they have Greenlight which allows the community to vote on games that get approved and subsequently careful curation from Valve helps form what the front page looks like. Valve is slowly working to remove themselves from the equation altogether while still having a storefront that highlights things people would like to play.

That said, the option is always nice. Having options is always better than not. XBLIG curation was shyt but having that as an option alongside XBLA games was very nice. Why MS took that away is beyond me. Without the option, a lot of gems like Gateways and Speedrunners wouldn't really be around.

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'll move on, but I don't believe you were ever just blindly buying games off GP with no research, ever, at any point in your life, online or not. A bigger library of games won't cause you to get bad games because you're not looking at every game, and you never were, and never will.

Honestly i found ridiculous fishing by just searching "fishing" on iTunes. I knew nothing about it and I pretty much picked it at random amongst the other hundred fishing games that popped up. The only reason I downloaded badlands was because of a thread on this site. Had I missed that thread or picked a different random fishing game I would have missed out on two really good games. Now think about how many great games I undoubtedly missed.

For example. I bet most people here have not heard of the game Vector. It's a great game and deserving of plenty praise. If you have not already, go download it, you will be pleasantly suprised

Kodie

Pro
Daps
Honestly i found ridiculous fishing by just searching "fishing" on iTunes. I knew nothing about it and I pretty much picked it at random amongst the other hundred fishing games that popped up. The only reason I downloaded badlands was because of a thread on this site. Had I missed that thread or picked a different random fishing game I would have missed out on two really good games. Now think about how many great games I undoubtedly missed.

For example. I bet most people here have not heard of the game Vector. It's a great game and deserving of plenty praise. If you have not already, go download it, you will be pleasantly suprised
I pretty much play most the games I play thanks to the recommendations of others. IndieGAF has really made this process a lot easier.

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
I know we've been hearing how great "self publishing" is since Sony announced they would be allowing it and devs all over the world rejoiced.

Form a game devs perspective self publishing and other non restrictive policies from platform holders are great. They allow you the get your game on the platform without worrying about politics/business

Form a console gamer standpoint, self publishing just allows an abundance of trash to fog up the game store standing in the way of the truly special games.

The way things are going now, the X1/PS4 online stores are gonna end up like iTunes or steam. And thats not a good thing. Your gonna have to sift through 99 copies of flappy bird, just to get to Limbo 2. The crappiest games will find tricks to make it to the top of the list, while some really good games will go unnoticed. This is somewhat acceptable for steam and mobile game customers because part of the magic is playing through the games and discovering the good ones. Console gamers have become accustomed to sitting down and playing quality games, there is no time to try out countless indie games just to make it to a good one.

I'd much rather have it where only proven/very promising games were allowed on consoles. Let them get their weight up on iphone/PC before they jump to the big time.

Seems like everyone jumped on the "self publishing" bandwagon without really thinking about what it means from a consumer standpoint.

Thoughts?:popcorn:
Wait does self publishing = no curation?
Xbox live indie arcade was like that and from what I understand it's pretty bad. But I think that as long as you have quality managers, who will make sure no buggy/frozen games get through it'll be alright. As long as Sony doesn't do like microsoft did and leave it to the wolves it should be fine.
The thing is most people aren't even going to bother looking through the store to see these games, and then people who do, will know to look up reviews before spending our hard earned cash on some trash

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yeah, but we are gamers, not the majority of people out there. So no shyt we're going to play games on whatever platform we can get our hands on. We game regularly. Its normal. My mom plays doodle jump and flappy bird. She doesn't play fukking Limbo. And she sure as hell isn't going to own a Xbox 360, so why would her tastes and people with tastes like hers be reflected on there?

It doesn't make any sense, breh. Everyone owns cell phones. Most of those people download bullshyt on them. And a minority of those people are actually "gamers" aka people who own a console or play on steam/whatever. It is not the case with the gaming consoles. People don't buy PS4's and Xbox One's to play doodle jump. Even the casual console owner plays shyt like Madden or Call of Duty.

:camby:

Put it this way. Right now according to users Ryse is the best game on Xbox.

If didn't do any research of my own. I'd log on and buy Ryse. This isn't a problem when there are only a few available, but when there's hundreds even thousands of games, there's no what In hell you can research them all

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
This might be worse than the Ryse/Uncharted comparison.

great games always shine through, its not some bs like the music industry where the worst artists somehow win, gamers have to spend their time playing these games, gamers game for a purpose Meach...Players are going to play what they want to play in the gaming industry....

geeez....

Since Smooth's untimely passing I promised myself I wouldn't get into these arguments again.....But I don't think he would have wanted it that way:wow:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This might be worse than the Ryse/Uncharted comparison.

great games always shine through, its not some bs like the music industry where the worst artists somehow win, gamers have to spend their time playing these games, gamers game for a purpose Meach...Players are going to play what they want to play in the gaming industry....

geeez....

Since Smooth's untimely passing I promised myself I wouldn't get into these arguments again.....But I don't think he would have wanted it that way:wow:

That's just untrue. Plenty of great games go unnoticed. And I wish y'all would quit evoking smooths name every chance you get shyts mad disrespectful and disgusting.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Wait does self publishing = no curation?
Xbox live indie arcade was like that and from what I understand it's pretty bad. But I think that as long as you have quality managers, who will make sure no buggy/frozen games get through it'll be alright. As long as Sony doesn't do like microsoft did and leave it to the wolves it should be fine.
The thing is most people aren't even going to bother looking through the store to see these games, and then people who do, will know to look up reviews before spending our hard earned cash on some trash

Both have committed to leaving it to the wolves this gen. It's what "gamers" asked for

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
That's just untrue. Plenty of great games to unnoticed. And I wish y'all would quit evoking smooths name every chance you get shyts mad disrespectful and disgusting.

Evoking his name? How so...I dont know what everybody else does but i wasn't disrespecting him at all:ufdup:

Now about these games that go unnoticed...

Name them, name the games that are so great that we know nothing about.

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
Meh, I hear about a plethora of games by visiting various sources/providers of information that haven't steered me wrong before. Word of mouth is a crazy thing(that's why games like Angry Birds, Draw Something, Flappy Bird become overnight sensations), and when you put that around gamers that fukk with dope shyt and spread that around, you don't need to browse the game stores looking for some random gem to play like some bored chump because you'll already have an idea of what you're getting into.

I see what you're saying but I've never DL'd some pure bullshyt off the strength of it being at the top, nor have I sifted thru a ton of clutter(search ftw). I usually know what I'm getting into. If I do stumble across some random shyt that seems interesting, I'm Googling that shyt. Not tryna waste $3.99 on trash :ufdup: