Why "Self Publishing" is bad for consoles

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
They should have a not shytty as fukk filter:martin:
I'm sayin, do people open up Steam like, "I need to find a random game..."?

the closest I come to that is when I check the Top Sellers. a few times I found some game I didn't know about that way. beyond that I almost always hear about the game elsewhere first

I'm not even one of these 'free-market' cats, but I don't have a problem with Steam putting whatever on their store. there's plenty of tools out there, including Steam Reviews, to figure out what games I might like. and for worst case scenarios, you can get a refund (I never have)

I think there also needs to be a distinction between games that are bad, 'controversial', or straight up don't function. I fully understand that there's some game types and genres that I'm just not into, but I'm not gonna sit here and call those games "trash"

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm sayin, do people open up Steam like, "I need to find a random game..."?
Well there is a browse function and charts and categories, so yeah, I think people do. I used to as there was a time when you could assume the games on steam were at least of a certain quality.

the closest I come to that is when I check the Top Sellers. a few times I found some game I didn't know about that way. beyond that I almost always hear about the game elsewhere first
What I'm saying is, that kinda sucks as a consumer going into a store.

It's also unfair to devs that actually put in the time to make a quality game to have to compete with these games that exist just to manipulate the system to make money.

I'm not even one of these 'free-market' cats, but I don't have a problem with Steam putting whatever on their store. there's plenty of tools out there, including Steam Reviews, to figure out what games I might like. and for worst case scenarios, you can get a refund (I never have)
I disagree. I'd much rather be able to go into the store and expect a certain level of quality. I mean, going into the store and looking at the back of boxes to pick a game has always been a part of the gaming experience to me. I know we're talking about a digital store here but I think some of that should translate.

I think there also needs to be a distinction between games that are bad, 'controversial', or straight up don't function. I fully understand that there's some game types and genres that I'm just not into, but I'm not gonna sit here and call those games "trash"
No I'm not just talking about games I don't like. I'm talking about the just functioning enough to exist games that take up so much space in the store.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
No one agreed, yet what I said was gonna happen did.

Steam is full of trash. Almost not even worth going into the store unless you are following a direct link to a game you want. XBL is the same, just less trash.

What happened exactly?

You been rehashing the same vague talking points (Steam is full of trash) since you started the thread. It's like saying Netflix sucks because it's full of trash.

Steam is only as good as the effort you put into finding a game you want. Which makes the whole "it's almost not worth going to Steam unless it's a direct link to a game"....just....retarded, honestly. I don't know of a better way to put it.

You can go to Steam, set your genre preferences, or hell, just shop, and the system recommends games based on your interests. Then if you go to your Discovery Queue and browse games you might be interested in. So yeah....you talk as if you haven't visited Steam in the last decade.

Fred.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
What happened exactly?

You been rehashing the same vague talking points (Steam is full of trash) since you started the thread. It's like saying Netflix sucks because it's full of trash.

Steam is only as good as the effort you put into finding a game you want. Which makes the whole "it's almost not worth going to Steam unless it's a direct link to a game"....just....retarded, honestly. I don't know of a better way to put it.

You can go to Steam, set your genre preferences, or hell, just shop, and the system recommends games based on your interests. Then if you go to your Discovery Queue and browse games you might be interested in. So yeah....you talk as if you haven't visited Steam in the last decade.

Fred.
"The store is only as good as the effort you put in to using it."

And somehow y'all defending this shyt :dahell:

PC stans :mjlol:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
More choices isn't a bad thing.
They just need to organize their stores better.
Not really.

I mean, is the steam store better off cause it has this?

The entire point of a store is the the owners/managers have done SOME of the legwork for me because the products on their shelves are a reflection on said store.

The internet is already the Wild Wild West. Steam became popular because it took PC gaming and made in manageable. You could walk in the steam store browse and be confident in your purchase.

Now "you only get out of the store what you put into it"

So what's the damn point of the store? If I have to do my own searching/researching, why the hell would I ever give steam any money? They haven't done shyt.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Not really.

The entire point of a store is the the owners/managers have done SOME of the legwork for me because the products on their shelves are a reflection on said store.

The internet is already the Wild Wild West. Steam became popular because it took PC gaming and made in manageable. You could walk in the steam store browse and be confident in your purchase.

So what's the damn point of the store? If I have to do my own searching/researching, why the hell would I ever give steam any money? They haven't done shyt.

that game is 99 cent, and has positive reviews. what's the problem?

Steam isn't just a blank slate with 1000's of games. there's features, tags, curators, reviews, recommendations, etc.

do you really see the store page being cluttered with shovelware?

Welcome to Steam

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Not really.

I'm saying all that garbage wouldn't bother you as much if they organized everything better.
They should have better filters and better suggestions based on what you've played or purchased.
I don't care if there are a million trash games as long as I can see what I want to see without sifting through the garbage.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm saying all that garbage wouldn't bother you as much if they organized everything better.
They should have better filters and better suggestions based on what you've played or purchased.
I don't care if there are a million trash games as long as I can see what I want to see without sifting through the garbage.
True. That's a reasonable solution and how XBL handled things last gen. This gen is just pandemonium in that damn store.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
that game is 99 cent, and has positive reviews. what's the problem?

Steam isn't just a blank slate with 1000's of games. there's features, tags, curators, reviews, recommendations, etc.

do you really see the store page being cluttered with shovelware?

Welcome to Steam
The first page is mostly paid advertising.

If you were to say, drop into one of those categories you'd be inundated with shovelware.

The curators lists are good, but again that sends me back to the question of, what the hell am I even using steam for? I don't need steam to follow Jim Sterling and try the games he recommends.

Steam got the coldest hustle in gaming.

Do almost nothing and convince everyone it's their job to make your product work correctly:wow:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
The first page is mostly paid advertising.

If you were to say, drop into one of those categories you'd be inundated with shovelware.

The curators lists are good, but again that sends me back to the question of, what the hell am I even using steam for? I don't need steam to follow Jim Sterling and try the games he recommends.

Steam got the coldest hustle in gaming.

Do almost nothing and convince everyone it's their job to make your product work correctly:wow:
I guess you're too smart to fall for their hustle, and that's why you pirate all your PC games :stopitslime:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
they have all of that

like any similar system, it's not perfect. Spotify is pretty good at finding me songs I like, but sometimes it plays some wack shyt