Update: Help me make an American Christmas dinner for the first time.

Which of these are Christmas dinner essentials

• Potato Salad is must

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Banana Pudding with merengue

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Banana pudding without merengue

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Canned Ham

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Smoked Ham

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Apple Sauce

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Cranberry Sauce

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • You missed something, I’ve added post below.

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
We'd always go out the night of Christmas Eve, wake up open presents then everyone goes to work :heh:
People work on Christmas? Everything is closed here on Christmas including public transportation. Everything opens up again on Boxing Day which is still a public holiday.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
People work on Christmas? Everything is closed here on Christmas including public transportation. Everything opens up again on Boxing Day which is still a public holiday.

Parents worked at a hospital and tech company, I was 16 working fast food on Christmas, lots of old people congregate at these places on holidays in small towns.

DonB90

Superstar
Daps
Already good advice in the thread. I'll just add that it's ridiculous for you to have to cook a feast of food that you've never cooked before. I hope he's helping you. Thanksgiving dinner usually takes at least a day to make, as in a whole 24 to 48 hours, and that's with multiple people helping.

Don't go overboard because if he isn't appreciative or doesn't like it, you are gonna be pissed. Please stick to 3 to 4 dishes max with 1 dessert. Less is more.

PS He needs to cover the cost of all the ingredients.
Miserable energy good Gawd :scust:

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
You're assigning her feelings that she hasn't expressed though. She hasn't said one thing in this thread to make us think that she's being treated like a robot or that she even needs anyone to check in with her.

I say this from a place of love... you're projecting.

Some people actually get pleasure out of doing things for other people, both women and men. I love to do things for a woman that i love. It genuinely makes me happy. And I'm sure OP feels that way about her man (using this thread and her past threads about him as proof).

You're acting like she's a slave and is forcing herself to do something... but no, she's doing this because she really and truly wants to create an expression of love for the man that she's with. And if she's going this hard for him, I'm willing to bet that he's going just as hard for her.

I honestly think that you've had some terrible bad experiences with men, and I think that it broke something inside of you. And I'm not saying that from a standpoint of looking down on you because I often talk on this site about how my bad experiences with women have broken something inside of me.

I'm just self aware of myself enough to know that it happened.
This is the problem with having a conversation with you. You don't read in context and you always have to make up things in order to promote an argument or discussion that no one is having except you.

I didn't say "She is a robot". I said "Women aren't robots and they deserve to be check in on." Which implies that I was showing concern which you didn't do. Instead you insulted her, the exact opposite of what I did. Soooo, of course, you, who is quick to insult, would think it was "wrong" to do anything but do what you do.

Please learn how to read in context.

I'm sure you do think I'm broken. Of course you do, because I don't center you or any man nor do care about what you feel or think...about anything...especially me.

And I haven't had terrible experiences with men. I've had the typical experiences with men...actually I've had better experiences than the majority of women because I've never been physically abused, molested nor raped.

What you hate is that I don't live in the delusional la la land that most women do. I see you and humanity for what it is. A society that tells women that their value lies in the approval of men and that endless self sacrifice is somehow honorable.

I don't agree with that POV. I don't walk that path nor will you see it reflected in my speech. That should be pretty obvious at this point.

Geode

All Star
Daps
I mean are the leaves meant to be mushy after cooking, or are they still going to have a bite, like fried cabbage? A little integrity to the leaves, I guess is the terminology.
They should have a bite. Not mushy. But collards are bit more hardy than turnip greens, and your making all turnip instead of a mix, so the texture might be different.

I hate mushy greens of any kind.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
This is what my wife normally cooks for Christmas dinner:

Turkey or Hen- Depends on if visitors are coming
Collards cooked with Oxtails or Turkey Necks (Leftovers frozen for New Year's Day greens & black-eyed peas meal)
Baked Mac & Cheese using 3 different cheeses (Smoked Gouda, Sharp Cheddar, the third changes on her whim)
Potato Salad -Because I love her version
Ambrosia - I make this
Sweet Cornbread - Again, because this is what I like.
Some vegan meat or baked fish- My wife does not eat the meat from red-blooded animals

After the above, we may have different sorts of desserts depending on what we decided we want for that year. Since we always have sweet potato pie for Thanksgiving, we normally do not have that for Christmas. Sometimes she swaps out the Collards for Kale.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
This is what my wife normally cooks for Christmas dinner:

Turkey or Hen- Depends on if visitors are coming
Collards cooked with Oxtails or Turkey Necks (Leftovers frozen for New Year's Day greens & black-eyed peas meal)
Baked Mac & Cheese using 3 different cheeses (Smoked Gouda, Sharp Cheddar, the third changes on her whim)
Potato Salad -Because I love her version
Ambrosia - I make this
Sweet Cornbread - Again, because this is what I like.
Some vegan meat or baked fish- My wife does not eat the meat from red-blooded animals

After the above, we may have different sorts of desserts depending on what we decided we want for that year. Since we always have sweet potato pie for Thanksgiving, we normally do not have that for Christmas. Sometimes she swaps out the Collards for Kale.
A few people have voted making a potato salad, I feel like that’s sticky territory. I’ll end up making a Jamaican potato salad as I believe we will need a refreshing salad anyway.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
A few people have voted making a potato salad, I feel like that’s sticky territory. I’ll end up making a Jamaican potato salad as I believe we will need a refreshing salad anyway.
Your version of potato salad can end up being his version. My wife does it different from what I am use to, even though I've experienced different versions from the West to the East of the US. So her version became mine. That may happen for you two, too.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
Your version of potato salad can end up being his version. My wife does it different from what I am use to, even though I've experienced different versions from the West to the East of the US. So her version became mine. That may happen for you two, too.
It is a completely different dish than the American one. I’ll learn to make it eventually.