Update: Help me make an American Christmas dinner for the first time.

Which of these are Christmas dinner essentials

• Potato Salad is must

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Banana Pudding with merengue

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Banana pudding without merengue

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Canned Ham

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Smoked Ham

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Apple Sauce

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Cranberry Sauce

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • You missed something, I’ve added post below.

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This a serious thread??

You never know on TLR:patrice:

If so. Canned Ham is crazy. Can’t believe you even typed that out :huhldup:

You should be able to get a decent Ham at any grocery store.

Can’t have ham without potato salad.

Marshmallows are optional

Homade whipped cream>>>>>>Baked merengue

Cranberry sauce is for turkey on thanksgiving.

Where’s the MaC n Chesee??:dahell:

Hot water cornbread is simple almost like a pancake and it’s used to sop up greens juice:noah:

For the greens mix turnip and mustards and they should be cooked to the point where they are pretty soft. Also you need some type of fat like bacon or “fat back”(i know terribly unhealthy but that’s why you don’t eat it every day). No vinegar needed. That’s for collards.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
you settin her up with this recipe…instant pudding :scust:

try this recipe, caca…

Homemade Banana Pudding Recipe

…sub the vanilla wafers for chessman cookies tho…i’m sure your chef palette would appreciate the tangyness cream cheese would bring, but if your man is from the south idk if that’s what he’s expecting…
I wondered if the cream cheese would be something he isn’t expecting,
Unless you've had the recipe, just stop.
Paula Deen cooks better than most of y'all grandmammys.

:mjpls:

jokes aside, instant pudding is trash...if this her first time makin her man a southern xmas dinner and he from the south it's better to make it from scratch...
I wasn’t going to use instant jello mix anyway, I make that “pudding mix” all the time from scratch, the trick is to make sure your eggs don’t scramble. If you mix a little of your hot milk into the eggs, whisk it in to incorporate; then you won’t shock the eggs when it hits the rest of the hot liquid. This technique is called “tempering”. Then you put your egg mixture into the rest of your hot liquid a little at a time to combine while mixing and that’s it. Make sure the heat is on low so it doesn’t cook too quick and make sure you mix your corn starch with cold milk before adding to your hot liquid. You can flavour your hot liquid with whatever you want.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
is there no soul food restaurants in london?! :beli:
Not like you would have a soul food restaurant in America. I’m sure there are some though. However there have been a lot of bbq restaurants popping up recently, every one I’ve had is no where as good as what I can make myself. When I come to the states, I’ll be doing a BBQ joint tour.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
This a serious thread??

You never know on TLR:patrice:

If so. Canned Ham is crazy. Can’t believe you even typed that out :huhldup:

You should be able to get a decent Ham at any grocery store.

Can’t have ham without potato salad.

Marshmallows are optional

Homade whipped cream>>>>>>Baked merengue

Cranberry sauce is for turkey on thanksgiving.

Where’s the MaC n Chesee??:dahell:

Hot water cornbread is simple almost like a pancake and it’s used to sop up greens juice:noah:

For the greens mix turnip and mustards and they should be cooked to the point where they are pretty soft. Also you need some type of fat like bacon or “fat back”(i know terribly unhealthy but that’s why you don’t eat it every day). No vinegar needed. That’s for collards.
Yes, this is a serious thread. I don’t play about food.
clown-prank.gif

I only put canned ham because that’s what I see in nearly every picture of Christmas dinner. I make a ham every Christmas, but wasn’t sure what you guys did.

In fairness a lot of the food you guys eat has ready made instant aspects so it’s hard to know what’s what. Even the home made things include opening a can of this and mixing in a packet of that.

I’m roasting a chicken so I guess any of the sweeter condiments will do, I don’t mind making an apple sauce to balance the savoury components.

I’m definitely making mac and cheese it’s in the first post.

I put a poll in the post and most ppl voted no meringue on the banana pudding at last check.
I’m assuming a meringue fell out of favour because it can be a little time consuming to make and can easily go wrong if you over look a step. So most ppl over time began to swap it with whipped cream. Side note: However making the meringue for banana pudding made sense back in the day as you would use the whole egg, the yolks in the pudding and the whites to make the meringue. I guess I’ll use the whites to make super fluffy soufflé pancakes or egg white omelettes another day to avoid waste

I will make the turnip greens, I will use the fat I trim from the ham for the greens. Nothing goes to waste.

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
Not like you would have a soul food restaurant in America. I’m sure there are some though. However there have been a lot of bbq restaurants popping up recently, every one I’ve had is no where as good as what I can make myself. When I come to the states, I’ll be doing a BBQ joint tour.

I like the way you're sidestepping all the snide remarks and keeping this thread positive lol.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
Family always had turkey for Christmas dinner

My nonexistent future family will have turkey as well
A turkey at Christmas and thanks giving? That’s a lot of turkey. Do you guys do any other meat, roast pork, roast lamb, roast beef. I guess any large roasted joint of meat for celebration.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Don’t know how late this thread is but if you know the singer Anthony Hamilton he partnered with a black woman chef to create his own black owned food brand named Hamilton corner. The southern style and honey cornbread mix is absolutely fantastic.

I’m serious none of that jiffy nonsense but Anthony Hamilton southern biscuit mix and honey cornbread are no joke

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
If u go with the ham i would brine it in some honey bourbon or raspberry whiskey and glaze it accordingly. For christmas in particular brown sugar w/a little hint of cinnamon can be very festive, but if done correctly that raspberry honey glaze can be so :ohlawd::ahh:

But the point is just glazing alone aint it. U gotta really seal that flavor in. Start early too. Like a good 3-5 days at least. Make sure it is properly cured and refrigerated low temp,and u shouldnt have to worry about it souring.

Edit: oh yeah and what ever other sides u do, some good collard greens is mandatory. Wifey would be better equipped to help u on that one. She got family still in the south to this day who visit time to time so her shyt gotta be on point.
Thank you, that raspberry honey brine sounds delicious. I’m used to buying a triple smoked ham and glazing that in a pineapple brown sugar glaze. I don’t know if I will have time to buy a fresh ham brine and cure, smoke and glaze. He doesn’t have smoking facilities. My flight lands on Christmas Eve. This dinner may be on the 28th go give me enough time to prep.

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
But what if they endlessly sacrificing for each other, Pearl? I know @Caca-faat loves this man cause she was on here last year asking the brehs for outfit advice cause she wanted to make her man happy. You look down on women going above and beyond for men and that makes me sad.
Makes you sad? You are too vested into what an ex 40 year old single bitter stripper thinks.

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
A turkey at Christmas and thanks giving? That’s a lot of turkey. Do you guys do any other meat, roast pork, roast lamb, roast beef. I guess any large roasted joint of meat for celebration.
Oh yeah..thanksgiving is in October for us

We put out ham as well but fukk all that imo

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
Oh yeah..thanksgiving is in October for us

We put out ham as well but fukk all that imo
Oh ok, what country are you from; Canada?

Either way I think I always hear about the same meats on American tables for celebration which is usually turkey.
Roast beef is Wonderful if done correctly, expensive as hell though. I don’t think I’ve ever had of anybody roasting a leg of lamb or something for Christmas, or a pork shoulder. These may be very European ways of serving meat.

Roast lamb would always go with - mint sauce or red currant jelly
Roast pork joint with crispy skin (think chicharrones) would always go with apple sauce
Then turkey that would of course go with cranberry sauce
Then you have a whole salmon- I would usually stuff this with lemon grass, scotch bonnet, onion, garlic, fresh thyme and spinach and roast whole and serve on the table as is.

I’m bored of doing the above as I would have done them at some point during the year; so I just started doing other things.

Daps

oh damn. i would say try it out there and adjust it to your liking. jamaican restaurant might have something similar, i know my fav jamaican restaurant in my neighborhood serves southern style collard greens and mac n cheese