Update: Help me make an American Christmas dinner for the first time.

Which of these are Christmas dinner essentials

• Potato Salad is must

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Banana Pudding with merengue

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Banana pudding without merengue

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Canned Ham

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Smoked Ham

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Apple Sauce

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Cranberry Sauce

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • You missed something, I’ve added post below.

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Also, first page, few posts in and subliminals already fueling the fire for the gender wars :dead:

charge-war.gif

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Ok ya’ll my partner is from the south and I want to make him a southern Christmas Dinner. I’ve never had any of the food so don’t know how it’s supposed to taste, nor what is traditional. He hasn’t been back to the south for years and doesn’t know any recipes, so I’m doing it without much input from him. Can you guys help me to construct a menu? I know we’re still in September but I always plan way in advance so I can work out the kinks and plan aesthetics.

So I know he wants the following

Banana pudding -I have a rough idea of how to do it. Is the baked merengue topping essential? I’m fine to do it but would love you guys opinion.

banana-pudding-1.jpg

or banana pudding with merengue

Banana-pudding-recipe.jpg

Hot water corn bread - Any tips on how to make it. I’ve watched videos but I need some guidance. Is it served warm? Is it for sopping up gravy?

Collard Greens - this is the one I think I’m gonna struggle with the most. I have no frame of reference. All he told me is that it’s turnip greens. I know it has ham hock in it for Smokeyness, but are the leaves supposed to have bite? Am I adding vinegar to it, to counteract the bitterness of the leaves or just hot sauce at the end?

I believe the below are standard:
I’ll roast a bird or do 2 Cornish hens
Brown gravy
Make Mac and cheese

Optional

I’ll do a ham if he wants one, but I need to buy a joint from the butcher. I wouldn’t know where to start with a canned ham.

I won’t do a potato salad, this one seems the most tricky and the one most likely to go wrong.

Candied yams? Is this essential? Are marshmallows a requirement?

Anything else? What’s missing?
nikka this shyt should be ate on kwanza..

fukk them paegan festival

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
Is it a breh? :patrice:
Nope
oh damn. i would say try it out there and adjust it to your liking. jamaican restaurant might have something similar, i know my fav jamaican restaurant in my neighborhood serves southern style collard greens and mac n cheese
I will actually look some up. This is a good shout. Hopefully I like the stuff.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
@Caca-faat it's good you're giving yourself plenty of time to prepare. Back in the day my mom used to practice some of these big meals, make it on a random Sunday in August, then by December she would more or less know the details of preparing that dish and how it should taste. She would make it based on my dad's taste...ie no onions, less salt, more of this, less of that, etc

I voted for the potato salad, only because as a kid in my house everyone would finish it in an hour, it's an easy family favorite. :manny:

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
@bourgeoisie tall freak I am STRUGGLING; every restaurant is either permanently shut or is burger, pizza ,shake, fried chicken place or rib place and all these places do macaroni and cheese, they are run by white English people who have NO IDEA what a good macaroni and cheese is, I learned the hard way years ago and never order it. I will post some links below and you guys can see what we are working with. There are plenty American fast food places here but no real southern food restaurants.

Last edited:
Daps
I will actually look some up. This is a good shout. Hopefully I like the stuff.

thanks for just taking a simple statement in stride and not taking the opportunity to play victim like a lot of these fonts on here be doing lol. love that for you sis :wink:
but yeah, good luck on your meal. i'm sure you'll figure it out cuz your pics be looking 10 out of 10

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
Ok so I made the dinner, I landed on Christmas Eve and got to work.

I didn’t make any of the things I had planned to due to lack of equipment and severe Jet lag. 10 hour time difference.

So I ended up making red wine braised beef ribs and white bean mash, a ham, some sorrel (Jamaican hibiscus drink) and banana pudding:

f05wdWM.jpeg

This banana pudding was layered with vanilla custard pudding, banana jam, sour cream mixed with sweetened whipped cream, nilla wafers, and a banana caramel

vB1padj.jpeg

He loved the ribs and went back for seconds and is happy we have leftovers so he can have it again today.

Daps
Ok so I made the dinner, I landed on Christmas Eve and got to work.

I didn’t make any of the things I had planned to due to lack of equipment and severe Jet lag. 10 hour time difference.

So I ended up making red wine braised beef ribs and white bean mash, a ham, some sorrel (Jamaican hibiscus drink) and banana pudding:

f05wdWM.jpeg

This banana pudding was layered with vanilla custard pudding, banana jam, sour cream mixed with sweetened whipped cream, nilla wafers, and a banana caramel

vB1padj.jpeg

He loved the ribs and went back for seconds and is happy we have leftovers so he can have it again today.

As long as he liked it cause :why: