Update: Help me make an American Christmas dinner for the first time.

Which of these are Christmas dinner essentials

• Potato Salad is must

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Banana Pudding with merengue

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Banana pudding without merengue

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Canned Ham

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Smoked Ham

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Apple Sauce

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Cranberry Sauce

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • You missed something, I’ve added post below.

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
Just out of curiosity, where you from OP?

edit: nvm, you already answered

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
Banana Pudding recipe.

Thanks, I like the element of the tangyness of the cream cheese mixed with the creaminess of the banana for balance. If I brulee some bananas on top, that would be the perfect combination.

Born Rich

triple entendre, don't ask me how...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
W$GT$
Banana Pudding recipe.

you settin her up with this recipe…instant pudding :scust:

Thanks, I like the element of the tangyness of the cream cheese mixed with the creaminess of the banana for balance. If I brulee some bananas on top, that would be the perfect combination.

try this recipe, caca…

Homemade Banana Pudding Recipe

…sub the vanilla wafers for chessman cookies tho…i’m sure your chef palette would appreciate the tangyness cream cheese would bring, but if your man is from the south idk if that’s what he’s expecting…

Born Rich

triple entendre, don't ask me how...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
W$GT$
Unless you've had the recipe, just stop.
Paula Deen cooks better than most of y'all grandmammys.

:mjpls:

jokes aside, instant pudding is trash...if this her first time makin her man a southern xmas dinner and he from the south it's better to make it from scratch...

Last edited:

The Half-Blood FKA Prince

Avada Kedavbreh!
Daps
Ok ya’ll my partner is from the south and I want to make him a southern Christmas Dinner. I’ve never had any of the food so don’t know how it’s supposed to taste, nor what is traditional. He hasn’t been back to the south for years and doesn’t know any recipes, so I’m doing it without much input from him. Can you guys help me to construct a menu? I know we’re still in September but I always plan way in advance so I can work out the kinks and plan aesthetics.

So I know he wants the following

Banana pudding -I have a rough idea of how to do it. Is the baked merengue topping essential? I’m fine to do it but would love you guys opinion.

banana-pudding-1.jpg

or banana pudding with merengue

Banana-pudding-recipe.jpg

Hot water corn bread - Any tips on how to make it. I’ve watched videos but I need some guidance. Is it served warm? Is it for sopping up gravy?

Collard Greens - this is the one I think I’m gonna struggle with the most. I have no frame of reference. All he told me is that it’s turnip greens. I know it has ham hock in it for Smokeyness, but are the leaves supposed to have bite? Am I adding vinegar to it, to counteract the bitterness of the leaves or just hot sauce at the end?

I believe the below are standard:
I’ll roast a bird or do 2 Cornish hens
Brown gravy
Make Mac and cheese

Optional

I’ll do a ham if he wants one, but I need to buy a joint from the butcher. I wouldn’t know where to start with a canned ham.

I won’t do a potato salad, this one seems the most tricky and the one most likely to go wrong.

Candied yams? Is this essential? Are marshmallows a requirement?

Anything else? What’s missing?
If u go with the ham i would brine it in some honey bourbon or raspberry whiskey and glaze it accordingly. For christmas in particular brown sugar w/a little hint of cinnamon can be very festive, but if done correctly that raspberry honey glaze can be so :ohlawd::ahh:

But the point is just glazing alone aint it. U gotta really seal that flavor in. Start early too. Like a good 3-5 days at least. Make sure it is properly cured and refrigerated low temp,and u shouldnt have to worry about it souring.

Edit: oh yeah and what ever other sides u do, some good collard greens is mandatory. Wifey would be better equipped to help u on that one. She got family still in the south to this day who visit time to time so her shyt gotta be on point.

Last edited: