Update: Help me make an American Christmas dinner for the first time.

Which of these are Christmas dinner essentials

• Potato Salad is must

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Banana Pudding with merengue

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Banana pudding without merengue

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Canned Ham

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Smoked Ham

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Apple Sauce

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Cranberry Sauce

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • You missed something, I’ve added post below.

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
I like this phrasing. Typically, ppl cook them ALL THE WAY DOWN. I disagree with this. I personally appreciate a little integrity in my leaves, but my mother always cooked 'healthy soul.'

Also, if you still in the cooking mood, Hopping John for NYE. It's supposedly good luck, we do it every year. Also, after the ball drops, make him go outside and come back in. A man has to be the first to cross the threshold on New Years, also good luck. We used to make my brother do it. :pachaha:

He'll be surprised that you know these things and you will snatch his soul more firmly. Get 'em, girl. 😉
I definitely thought about hopping John. If I have time I’ll make it.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
Bro, just buy it from a restaurant and pick it up before everyone wakes up/comes home.
No, definitely not doing that. That’s cheating and no lessons will be learnt. I’m gonna have to do the same thing next year. Pop up with a 5 course meal. :russ: House doesn’t smell like cooking, and we’ve been watching tv all day.
People make Christmas dinners?:wtf:

I thought it was more of a morning holiday:ohhh:
Yes, most other “Christian” countries have Christmas dinner, only America has thanksgiving. Christmas dinner outside of other family celebrations is usually the largest family oriented dinner of the year in most places.

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
But what if they endlessly sacrificing for each other, Pearl? I know @Caca-faat loves this man cause she was on here last year asking the brehs for outfit advice cause she wanted to make her man happy. You look down on women going above and beyond for men and that makes me sad.
Funny you never cared about what she was getting out of it until I mentioned it.
Never even crossed your mind. Never cared if it was a task that would overwhelming (though she's got it.)

All you cared about was how happy the man would be with the end result.

You think it's sad I don’t champion women giving endlessly? I think it's sad that you condone it. Women aren't robots and they deserve to have people check in with them.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
:ld: I thought you said in the OP that you're not sure how it's supposed to taste.

I don't believe in cooks who cook things they've never even tasted before. Sorry :manny:
Yes, but it’s not rocket science. I can cook things I’ve never made before and it will still taste good as I know how things are supposed to taste individually. I’ll use the collard greens example. I’ve never made it before but I’ve cooked spring greens a green leafy cabbage with smoked ham before. So I have a rough idea of what I’m looking for. If the leaves are bitter I know to balance the bitterness with an acid because those are the cooking rules. That’s why I mostly asked about texture as that dictates cooking time and that may be down to a matter of preference or universal acceptance. I know how to balance flavours, so if something goes wrong I know how to fix it. I’m not worried about it.

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Nice thing you’re doing for your man. You’ll do fine, and he’ll enjoy it.

I think everything that’s needed to be said, has been said. From your previous posts, it looks like you’re good at cooking anyways, so you’ll def do fine.

Daps
Funny you never cared about what she was getting out of it until I mentioned it.
Never even crossed your mind. Never cared if it was a task that would overwhelming (though she's got it.)

All you cared about was how happy the man would be with the end result.

You think it's sad I don’t champion women giving endlessly? I think it's sad that you condone it. Women aren't robots and they deserve to have people check in with them.

You're assigning her feelings that she hasn't expressed though. She hasn't said one thing in this thread to make us think that she's being treated like a robot or that she even needs anyone to check in with her.

I say this from a place of love... you're projecting.

Some people actually get pleasure out of doing things for other people, both women and men. I love to do things for a woman that i love. It genuinely makes me happy. And I'm sure OP feels that way about her man (using this thread and her past threads about him as proof).

You're acting like she's a slave and is forcing herself to do something... but no, she's doing this because she really and truly wants to create an expression of love for the man that she's with. And if she's going this hard for him, I'm willing to bet that he's going just as hard for her.

I honestly think that you've had some terrible bad experiences with men, and I think that it broke something inside of you. And I'm not saying that from a standpoint of looking down on you because I often talk on this site about how my bad experiences with women have broken something inside of me.

I'm just self aware of myself enough to know that it happened.

Daps
Yes, but it’s not rocket science. I can cook things I’ve never made before and it will still taste good as I know how things are supposed to taste individually. I’ll use the collard greens example. I’ve never made it before but I’ve cooked spring greens a green leafy cabbage with smoked ham before. So I have a rough idea of what I’m looking for. If the leaves are bitter I know to balance the bitterness with an acid because those are the cooking rules. That’s why I mostly asked about texture as that dictates cooking time and that may be down to a matter of preference or universal acceptance. I know how to balance flavours, so if something goes wrong I know how to fix it. I’m not worried about it.

:usure:

I want before and after reports during the holidays. I will be checking this site.

And you better be honest. :ufdup:

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
:usure:

I want before and after reports during the holidays. I will be checking this site.

And you better be honest. :ufdup:
lol I promise I will. It won’t be awful; whether or not it will be like his granny’s I doubt it, but he won’t vomit it up then burn me at the stake :russ: . Also I have time to practice. I just want to make sure I pick the right recipe where necessary. E.g the recipe I saw for hot water corn bread was hot water mixed with cornmeal and salt then formed into patties then fried. Then someone up thread said they know them as hoe cakes and the recipe for that looks like a cornmeal pancake. I’ll keep looking and find a mixture of the two.

NoirDynosaur

Yurrrrrrrrrr
Daps
Reppin
Planet Earth
Baked Macaroni and Cheese. Add some cinnamon, olive oil, black pepper and seasonal salt
Cranberry Sauce
Collard Greens
Glaze the ham with brown sugar, pineapple juice and 1/3 cup of honey
Mash Potatoes with Gravy
Candy Yams
Baked Chicken or Fried Chicken. To make the chicken crispy, add bread crumbs. Crumbs is used as a coating agent to marinate the chicken.
Baked Salmon with lemon, black pepper, olive oil, and garlic. This is optional.
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Buttered Biscuits. Bring a tub of gravy.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
Baked Macaroni and Cheese. Add some cinnamon, olive oil, black pepper and seasonal salt
Cranberry Sauce
Collard Greens
Glaze the ham with brown sugar, pineapple juice and 1/3 cup of honey
Mash Potatoes with Gravy
Candy Yams
Baked Chicken or Fried Chicken. To make the chicken crispy, add bread crumbs. Crumbs is used as a coating agent to marinate the chicken.
Baked Salmon with lemon, black pepper, olive oil, and garlic. This is optional.
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Buttered Biscuits. Bring a tub of gravy.
You can buy gravy in a tub?