The Roland Martin Discussion Thread

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I have to find the article, but Roland Martin was called out by a HBCU grad for not going to a HBCU ( Roland graduated from Texas A&M). He talked about how it hurt and bothered him that someone could question his black views because of where he went.

You can tell by that article he was in upset about it. That's where the guilt comes from. I'm still happy he's defending and helping them.
I went to a PWI and I am all about HBCUs as an adult. As a kid, I just didn't know but even then, it's not perfect but it all we got for Black professionals

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps
Becuz we don't go anymore.

We do. Its not as celebrated or promoted like it was 20 years ago

There was a thread not too long ago about President Trump ending a program that funded new construction at HBCUs. Of course everyone was outraged. I made the statement that we wouldn't have to rely on federal money if we all actually spent our money there.

True but in the world of BLACK philanthropy takes money to give money

Of course people deflected and said why would they wanna go to underfunded schools.

Many HBCUs been around since the 1800s and thrived for a long time without federal funds

I said the same thing

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Breh, Black folks ain't got no resources, how can they fail HBCUs
Too many of us who have resources don't go. Way too many black folks going to college are quick to pick a PWI becuz it looks better on a resume. HBCUs were thriving at one point. As soon as we got access to other schools they have gradually gone down hill

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps
This is false data to a degree. Do we aggregate it? Yvette spoke on it.
Too many of us who have resources don't go. Way too many black folks going to college are quick to pick a PWI becuz it looks better on a resume. HBCUs were thriving at one point. As soon as we got access to other schools they have gradually gone down hill

I will say PWI are offering Black students free rides because they are Black/minority ( of course he/she must have a 3.0 & up)

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I went to a PWI and I am all about HBCUs as an adult. As a kid, I just didn't know but even then, it's not perfect but it all we got for Black professionals

I have the same feelings. It is what it is.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane