The Roland Martin Discussion Thread

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
say what you will about NAACP, but they been on the frontline actually making a difference. just this month, they were instrumental in bringing down North Carolina's voting laws that heavily discriminated against black and hispanic voters.

True shyt.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Also I love how roland been spitting how if your ass black and you didn't go to an HBCU then you need to adopt one and donate to one.

Sadly I didn't go to an HBCU but have been donating to jackson state and Langston for over 10 years as adopted universities.

Folks can talk about black alumni not donating all day. But fail to realize that at these white colleges there are white folks who have never taken a class on the campus. YET STILL...donate, leave money when they die to that school and buy school jerseys/attire of that school.

So the school gets money even from folks who have never gone there.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also I love how roland been spitting how if your ass black and you didn't go to an HBCU then you need to adopt one and donate to one.

Sadly I didn't go to an HBCU but have been donating to jackson state and Langston for over 10 years as adopted universities.

Folks can talk about black alumni not donating all day. But fail to realize that at these white colleges there are white folks who have never taken a class on the campus. YET STILL...donate, leave money when they die to that school and buy school jerseys/attire of that school.

:ehh:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's also important other organizations help as well. In fact, they do. I'm not stressed about HBCUS. They survived reconstruction, the Great Depression, the recession. They're still standing.
Many of them didn't survive. And a lot of them are on incredibly weak footing, especially with Trump and Devos ready to strip away a large source of their funding.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I didn't go to an HBCU either unfortunately because my parents didn't want me to move and I was underage when I started, but the school I went to gets heavy donations just from people in the area :francis:
We had a hundred-million dollar campaign the last few years that was successful as well.
My maternal side all went to catholic schools (the only private schools that let black people in in the early 1900s) and they all still get donation and pledge letters monthly.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
That is very stupid! There are hundreds of Black folks who were instrumental back then and now who did NOT attend HBCUs

For instance, Rosa never went to college. She was a worker but put in work
Dorothy Height went to 2 PWIs but that did not stop her for being instrumental in the civil rights and the Equal Pay Act which affected all of us by the way

1963.jpg

Carter G Woodson ( he founded Negro History Week, which later became BLACK HISTORY MONTH) graduated from PWIs but that did not stop HU from hiring him as an educator

DR.Huey P Newton founded the Black Panthers and did not attend a HBCU. However he was Sigma which was founded by Howard ( the first HBCU) and he changed the game as well

The hell with critics
Yeah the whole shaming thing regarding hbcus is stupid af