Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
This is honestly why people should get a Computer Science or equivalent degree.

From here you can go into an MS CS program for A.I and put that in your resume that you're attending, not even that you've completed it, but you're in progress.

If you got any kind of degree and experience you should be looking into the Georgia Tech OMSCS program and far fewer people would be able to compete with you. Knock down the prerequisite course work if you don't have it, which shouldn't be too bad if you have coding experience and get into the program.

I have always been a proponent of education because you need every advantage you can Get resume/stat wise. Like I said I was always the number 1 dude against all these "just do tech" "you don't need education just teach yourself" nikkas. I`m like y'all don't know wtf we are heading towards and you can't use them dudes from the 80s or 90s with no education as examples because they came from a period where the industry didn't exist thus they were the first people in line to soak things in.

These Indian dudes have MS and PHD and will work less than the nikka with no credentials and taught himself/did a bootcamp lol.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I have always been a proponent of education because you need every advantage you can Get resume/stat wise. Like I said I was always the number 1 dude against all these "just do tech" "you don't need education just teach yourself" nikkas. I`m like y'all don't know wtf we are heading towards and you can't use them dudes from the 80s or 90s with no education as examples because they came from a period where the industry didn't exist thus they were the first people in line to soak things in.

These Indian dudes have MS and PHD and will work less than the nikka with no credentials and taught himself/did a bootcamp lol.
Yup. Exactly.

If you have any type of degree though, Georgia Tech will accept you into the OMSCS if you can get the online certificates for these courses:
If you cannot currently demonstrate those competencies, but still wish to pursue eventual admission to the program, you do have some options. We recommend completing the verified certificate tracks (including all embedded assessments and exams) for the following three Georgia Tech professional certificate programs. All are available to the public in MOOC format:

Just some game for thecolidotcom. Even if you got a Liberal Arts degree, enroll in those courses/get the certificates and get into the program ($6k investment). I know of someone with a Psychology degree who finished. Any BS will do as long as you got those three courses I mentioned above complete.

From there though, apply to those jobs (you can work them if you know how to code) and expend most of your energy into the degree work as that'll mean you're basically a shoe in for the forseeable future because you have a MS from a top 10 CS school.

It won't be easy especially if you got to learn some to scale up into the graduate courses, but it's a great option for people to really secure their role in the future and get at the top of the resume pile for desirable jobs if you're looking for work in the near term. If you have a software background but not all the math, you can avoid the mathy courses and just take some of the tougher DSA grad courses.

If you want to be Mathematically prepared then probably want a Calculus I, Calculus II (at least just Integration techniques) and Linear Algebra skills are good.

Last edited:

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Yup. Exactly.

If you have any type of degree though, Georgia Tech will accept you into the OMSCS if you can get the online certificates for these courses:

Just some game for thecolidotcom. Even if you got a Liberal Arts degree, enroll in those courses/get the certificate and get into the program ($6k investment).

From there though, apply to those jobs (you can work them if you know how to code) and expend most of your energy into the degree work as that'll mean you're basically a shoe in for the forseeable future because you have a MS from a top 10 CS school.

it won't be easy especially if you got to learn some to scale up into the graduate courses, but it's a great option for people to really secure their role in the future and get work at the top of the resume pile for desirable jobs during the near term. If you have a software background but not all the math, you can avoid the mathy courses and just take some of the tougher DSA grad courses.
Been thinking about Tech’s program, will definitely do more research. I’m in a role currently but can never have too much leverage, and never wanna rely on a company rather my own skills.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Relevant experience matters much more than education. Getting on projects that is relevant to your tech stack and then learning to market yourself on a site like Linkedin is key to getting a job. Some jobs will require you to have a bachelors as a minimum, but past that, they don't care. They want to see that you have actual experience in a professional environment utilizing the particular tech stack, so one might have to do a lot of open source, work on projects for free to bolster their portfolio.

The reality is that most folks simply can't compete with Indians because they are in the hiring positions and they give preference to hiring each other first and then sprinkle in some other races here and there. There are a lot of older white guys who can't find jobs who have like 15 years of experience, degrees, etc. In fact, most of the companies I've worked at, whites were just as rare as black folks if not MORE rare. They might have 2 white Americans, and if they had more, they were from eastern europe. Most of the coders/qa, etc. were Indians first and foremost and then second, Mexican.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Been thinking about Tech’s program, will definitely do more research. I’m in a role currently but can never have too much leverage, and never wanna rely on a company rather my own skills.
if the company will pay for it/minimize your investment go for it. It's better to be over prepared and have to take a lower role in the short term than to be "normal" and assed out when shyt gets real. In a global market place you can't be the best in your neighborhood you have to be best in the world to compete just to be "normal" lol

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Good, it's the top tech talent that's producing the products that are making these companies so much money and these suits think they are some easily replaceable worker. More should just up and leave, work for other companies or just start their own.
that's what they are doing.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Relevant experience matters much more than education. Getting on projects that is relevant to your tech stack and then learning to market yourself on a site like Linkedin is key to getting a job. Some jobs will require you to have a bachelors as a minimum, but past that, they don't care. They want to see that you have actual experience in a professional environment utilizing the particular tech stack, so one might have to do a lot of open source, work on projects for free to bolster their portfolio.

The reality is that most folks simply can't compete with Indians because they are in the hiring positions and they give preference to hiring each other first and then sprinkle in some other races here and there. There are a lot of older white guys who can't find jobs who have like 15 years of experience, degrees, etc. In fact, most of the companies I've worked at, whites were just as rare as black folks if not MORE rare. They might have 2 white Americans, and if they had more, they were from eastern europe. Most of the coders/qa, etc. were Indians first and foremost and then second, Mexican.

you don't get it.

all that lyrical myrical "just get experience" is idiotic when folks will give someone with 5 yrs experience aJunior role over someone who is trying to gain experience.

If nikkas don't want to compete I don't care to be honest lol

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Yup. Exactly.

Just some game for thecolidotcom. Even if you got a Liberal Arts degree, enroll in those courses/get the certificate and get into the program ($6k investment).

It won't be easy especially if you got to learn some to scale up into the graduate courses, but it's a great option for people to really secure their role in the future and get at the top of the resume pile for desirable jobs if you're looking for work in the near term. If you have a software background but not all the math, you can avoid the mathy courses and just take some of the tougher DSA grad courses.

:win:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Yeah seriously. it's literally ranked as the best CS degree and program P4P. It's the same exact degree as the one in-person, it doesn't distinguish itself differently.

It's $6k for two-three years. Most grad schools are $20k and they don't say "Georgia Tech" on the diploma. Plus the other programs expect you to attend in-person for no reason whatsoever because don't need to be there to complete the courses.

I went for a 2nd BS in Electrical Engineering but found out I could've got many of the same tech jobs with the Georgia Tech program and have an MS from Georgia Tech to show for it. Plus it'd have been dope af to rock the Yellow Jacket logo.

Last edited:

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
if the company will pay for it/minimize your investment go for it. It's better to be over prepared and have to take a lower role in the short term than to be "normal" and assed out when shyt gets real. In a global market place you can't be the best in your neighborhood you have to be best in the world to compete just to be "normal" lol
Yeah seriously. it's literally ranked as the best CS degree and program P4P.

It's $6k for two-three years. Most grad schools are $20k and they don't say "Georgia Tech" on the diploma. Plus the other programs expect you to attend in-person for no reason whatsoever because don't need to be there to complete the courses.

I went for a 2nd BS in Electrical Engineering only to find out I could've got the same tech jobs with the Georgia Tech program but have the MS and Georgia Tech name to show for it. Plus it'd have been dope af to rock the Yellow Jacket logo.
Appreciate the advice fellas

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Appreciate the advice fellas

like I said always factor in you competing against folks in Asia, Eastern Europe, and South America who have as many years experience as you + the degree(s), and are Multi lingual and will work for less. You have to see yourself as a product that is worth a company investing in. The Economy isn't always going to be booming where you luck up and someone "takes a chance" on you.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Yeah seriously. it's literally ranked as the best CS degree and program P4P. It's the same exact degree as the one in-person, it doesn't distinguish itself differently.

I went for a 2nd BS in Electrical Engineering but found out I could've got many of the same tech jobs with the Georgia Tech program and have an MS from Georgia Tech to show for it. Plus it'd have been dope af to rock the Yellow Jacket logo.
Chill before you make me go back to school :ufdup:

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yup. Exactly.

Just some game for thecolidotcom. Even if you got a Liberal Arts degree, enroll in those courses/get the certificates and get into the program ($6k investment). I know of someone with a Psychology degree who finished. Any BS will do as long as you got those three courses I mentioned above complete.

Why go college then after you understand python and D&A ?
Why not get a GCP/Azure/AWS Solutions Architect cert and github some projects for the portfolio ?
Why not approach a few charities and NGOs for experience and network ?

Also you can get these from coursera for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than 1000

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
like I said always factor in you competing against folks in Asia, Eastern Europe, and South America who have as many years experience as you + the degree(s), and are Multi lingual and will work for less. You have to see yourself as a product that is worth a company investing in. The Economy isn't always going to be booming where you luck up and someone "takes a chance" on you.

Absolute nonsense for four reasons :

Companies like to monitor their employees in the office to justify middle management.
Commercial rents are cratering so it ties to the above reason.
The legal hassle of sponsoring these professionals from other countries.
Data privacy legislation becoming more nationalist and using protectionism.