Tech brehs, is the job market actually terrible or is it just leveling out/cutting filler rn?

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
My last company was Fortune 500. But would routinely hire people to complete projects nobody internally wanted to touch. Then make up an excuse to fire or layoff thevperson once all the heavy lifting was done. People would relocate for a role that was meant to only last a few years at most.
I worked at a major bank that hired like 15 new contractors for a project that wasn't even sold and approved :dead:
People moved from other states , transferred their kids into new schools and all that. All of them got laid off the first week they started because the project fell through.
The FTE employees basically sat around for a month or two doing busy work like writing new unit tests until they worked out a new project for us to work on

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
There was a lot of hiring during 2021 - 2022 during the great resignation.

I was on a job hunt a few months back and I was worried because there were a lot of tech layoffs and my role is specialized.

Theres definitely less jobs in the market now. Development Teams getting wiped out as well as supporting teams that help out tech roles. Companies are trying to make money for their shareholders and that's all that matters it seems. With rising costs that means companies are doing the same or more work with less people. Not the best market right now.

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
Who told you they were able to land a programming job with no degree, no boot camp, base code knowledge etc lol

in the interview process your knowledge of data structures, different programming languages etc will be put to the test. And that’s if you even get to the interview.