Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm in product management and going on what I've seen with other PMs and former programmers that I worked with. Some left our old company after they forced return to office or just when layoffs started only to end up at a new company where they got laid off. Since they were new they got no severance and ended up unable to find new work for at least half a year.

Covid was the boiling point. the 2010s were already flooded with people with overinflated roles who didn't do shyt, and then Covid companies literally increased headcount by insane numbers.

It created a perfect storm where yes there were a bunch of overpaid talentless people who were arrogant as shyt paired with companies doing what companies do and not caring about people. So now actual good people have to suffer.

A lot of these companies got flooded with trash ass talent from Ivy League or top universities making hella money but being fukking trash lol (I hate the concept of target schools in big tech/major companies because actual smart people see most these folks are dumb as shyt).

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I'm in product management and going on what I've seen with other PMs and former programmers that I worked with. Some left our old company after they forced return to office or just when layoffs started only to end up at a new company where they got laid off. Since they were new they got no severance and ended up unable to find new work for at least half a year.
Remember last I checked computer science was the most sought after degree during the bandemic.

It’s going take a minute for that to level out.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Remember last I checked computer science was the most sought after degree during the bandemic.

It’s going take a minute for that to level out.

We have had 15 yrs of all that “just do tech” bullshyt lol. I was one of the few folks like that shyt aint for everyone (because usually folks like me have to put up with garbage talent who make it past the interview loops).

With AI tech will become like law where it wont be prestigous anymore and only a small number will eat

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
You all keep talking about the quality of these Indian coders like the same shyt wasn't said about Asian manufacturing 50 to 60 years ago. It doesn't have to be good, it just has to be adequate and eventually it will get good. For every 20k they spend to fix a mistake Rajesh made they are saving millions by underpaying his countrymen. I don't know how this country is going to survive another hollowing out of an entire industry but there's no turning back.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
You all keep talking about the quality of these Indian coders like the same shyt wasn't said about Asian manufacturing 50 to 60 years ago. It doesn't have to be good, it just has to be adequate and eventually it will get good. For every 20k they spend to fix a mistake Rajesh made they are saving millions by underpaying his countrymen. I don't know how this country is going to survive another hollowing out of an entire industry but there's no turning back.

You clearly ignoring the nuance of what has been stated

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
There's also no worker solidarity in this country. White collar workers have been pitted against blue collar workers for decades. It's created a tit for tat animosity where one demographic is happy to the see the other stumble. "Capital" and "the job creators" have already shown they are willing to carve up a thriving middle class to line their own pockets. This is round two. There's still time to affect some sort of change but that times is running short. Corporations are on a speed run to reduce white collar workers to a financially insecure serf class.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Product Management roles are some of the hardest hit by layoffs. If you deal directly with security breaches right now. You definitely have tons of options with a new company getting breached everyday.

These Workers Are Most Worried About Layoffs​

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I would be worried about the cost of living in SoCal. I think this relocation option is just a ploy to get people to quit voluntarily. Anyone who relocates will probably be laid off anyway.
That's exactly what it is and don't let them try and tell you different. Best believe that after the dust settles on RTO relocation there will be another series of layoffs that they "just couldn't avoid". Matter of fact, I need to talk to my guy that has an inside track on internal headcount. Last he told me it was a significant percentage of people who got told to relocate and just up and left.
Not unless you get a massive Pay Bump. And relocating Family,home etc. is not an easy task.
They don't come with pay bumps nor any relocation assistance. Pay your own way and like it. VP was adamant about that. Talmbout if we help one person we gotta help everyone. No shyt Sherlock, you MFs instigated this.
We have had 15 yrs of all that “just do tech” bullshyt lol. I was one of the few folks like that shyt aint for everyone (because usually folks like me have to put up with garbage talent who make it past the interview loops).
I've been trying to combat it on The Coli :hubie: . Only do this shyt if you love this shyt because it'll kill you if not.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Very true. CEOs have already conducted a cost benefit analysis and guess what?

Thry don’t give a shyt as long as the end result is more profits.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Time to stat pad your resume brehs:

This is honestly why people should get a Computer Science or equivalent degree.

From here you can go into an MS CS program for A.I and put that in your resume that you're attending, not even that you've completed it, but you're in progress.

If you got any kind of degree and experience you should be looking into the Georgia Tech OMSCS program and far fewer people would be able to compete with you. Knock down the prerequisite course work if you don't have it, which shouldn't be too bad if you have coding experience and get into the program.