Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Absolute nonsense for four reasons :

Companies like to monitor their employees in the office to justify middle management.
Commercial rents are cratering so it ties to the above reason.
The legal hassle of sponsoring these professionals from other countries.
Data privacy legislation becoming more nationalist and using protectionism.
nikka wtf are you talking about.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Relevant experience matters much more than education. Getting on projects that is relevant to your tech stack and then learning to market yourself on a site like Linkedin is key to getting a job. Some jobs will require you to have a bachelors as a minimum, but past that, they don't care. They want to see that you have actual experience in a professional environment utilizing the particular tech stack, so one might have to do a lot of open source, work on projects for free to bolster their portfolio.

The reality is that most folks simply can't compete with Indians because they are in the hiring positions and they give preference to hiring each other first and then sprinkle in some other races here and there. There are a lot of older white guys who can't find jobs who have like 15 years of experience, degrees, etc. In fact, most of the companies I've worked at, whites were just as rare as black folks if not MORE rare. They might have 2 white Americans, and if they had more, they were from eastern europe. Most of the coders/qa, etc. were Indians first and foremost and then second, Mexican.
Damn it’s like that.

Mexicans are coding like that as well :ohhh:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Yeah seriously. it's literally ranked as the best CS degree and program P4P. It's the same exact degree as the one in-person, it doesn't distinguish itself differently.

It's $6k for two-three years. Most grad schools are $20k and they don't say "Georgia Tech" on the diploma. Plus the other programs expect you to attend in-person for no reason whatsoever because don't need to be there to complete the courses.

I went for a 2nd BS in Electrical Engineering but found out I could've got many of the same tech jobs with the Georgia Tech program and have an MS from Georgia Tech to show for it. Plus it'd have been dope af to rock the Yellow Jacket logo.
@Obreh Winfrey i see you dapping these posts. :dame:

You thinking about a masters from ga tech :lupe:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
@Obreh Winfrey i see you dapping these posts. :dame:

You thinking about a masters from ga tech :lupe:
Yeah, have been for maybe 5 years. I spent an extended time in undergrad and haven't been in a hurry to get back. But times are changing and sometimes you need to stand out :manny: . My company reimburses, or at least used to. But y'all hear me complaining every 15 minutes about them. So committing to them for another 2 years willingly? I'm not with it. But the program seems to be relatively cheap so when I get some other parts of my life in order I can pay that out of pocket no problem.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
Why go college then after you understand python and D&A ?
Why not get a GCP/Azure/AWS Solutions Architect cert and github some projects for the portfolio ?
Why not approach a few charities and NGOs for experience and network ?

Also you can get these from coursera for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than 1000

Because a degree is what separates you from the bootcamp/self-taught developers when looking for entry-level jobs.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I thought employers were moving away from
Focusing on degrees

dudes are misinterptign what they are really saying. It's like when folks say "Bill Gates didn't graduate" in comparison to the dumb ass who barely made it out of HS. We are at an age where exceptional people are doing things earlier. They not talking do "what cert should I study for" ass nikkas
:mjlol:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I thought employers were moving away from
Focusing on degrees
To me, it's kind of like when people used to say you don't need to go to school to be a CEO, but 89% of CEO's have a college degree and 98% of Fortune 500 company CEO's have a degree.

There are absolutely cases of people not having a degree and having a great career in software. There'll be many more as well. People post all the time, even recently, on reddit about getting jobs with no degree. When we interviewed, we didn't care if people had one. shyt, was the only person on my previous team with a STEM degree.

That being said, the thing about having a degree are the advantages it gives and the doors it opens.

An obvious one is that the degree will bypass the degree filter. A lot of jobs are hidden behind that switch and someone is losing access to a lot of potential jobs by not getting through it. It's like a tree, the node on the left has a lot of jobs that do not require a degree. However, the node on the right are all the jobs that are available if someone has a degree and all the subjobs that go along with them. Even if only 20% of software jobs require a degree, 20% of 3 million software jobs means 600,000 more opportunities open to apply to.

Another advantage of a degree is knowing you can go into another field those without a degree can't. If someone doesn't have a degree and gets tired of making CRUD apps they got far less options than someone who has a degree and can go take the OMSCS to go into something more interesting like A.I, Computer Graphics, Computer "Vision", Embedded Systems, etc. with some further education (Masters).

Additionally, like the CEO fact, many people will only feel comfortable giving promotions to those who have a degree, so it's basically a ceiling remover as well.

At the end of the day, the market will rebound and many people without a degree will get jobs again, shyt I know plenty companies who'll hire without a degree the second this mess rebounds. However, it's something someone who has one will never have to worry about.

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Can take this a couple ways, one such way is that it's starting to plateau. Progress ain't as fast as it used to be so time to shift to something else more interesting.

Arguably one of their most technical are leaving. Sam Altman is much closer to an Elon Musk, especially with Ilya leaving now. Should be interesting. Someone else said it somewhere that they expect a few more to start leaving soon as well.

Last edited:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Layoffs have consequences.
giphy.gif

Google accidentally deleted a $125 billion pension fund's account​

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why go college then after you understand python and D&A ?
Why not get a GCP/Azure/AWS Solutions Architect cert and github some projects for the portfolio ?
Why not approach a few charities and NGOs for experience and network ?

Also you can get these from coursera for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than 1000

Family....it's no longer 2012
We in 2024
That approach you mentioned isn't enough for the current market(hasn't been in years)