Tech brehs, is the job market actually terrible or is it just leveling out/cutting filler rn?

cyndaquil

Lv 100 Bold natured
Daps
Reppin
JOHTO REGION
Outsourcing is really fukking up the game imo and it can be so hard to work with Indian talent sometimes. God forgive me, but many are just slow af and you have to explain shyt a thousand times and they’ll still take a minute to get it or not do things right the first time.

But they’ll work 18 hours for 20% of the salary a company would need to pay an American so I don’t see it stopping anytime soon.

Companies are in cost cutting > efficiency mode.
All fun and games until they implement the requirements wrong due to the communication barrier

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
some of this depends on experience/skillset/location/personality
definitely not what it was at its peak but we will see what these rate cuts do
yup. make sure you always have an in-demand skillset and you'll eat. high chance nobody with ML/AI background is hurting for work right now at all

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Outsourcing is really fukking up the game imo and it can be so hard to work with Indian talent sometimes. God forgive me, but many are just slow af and you have to explain shyt a thousand times and they’ll still take a minute to get it or not do things right the first time.

But they’ll work 18 hours for 20% of the salary a company would need to pay an American so I don’t see it stopping anytime soon.

Companies are in cost cutting > efficiency mode.
A huge issue is these Indians code being full of vulnerabilities. Since most never bothered to learn secure coding practices. Tons of companies are getting hacked left and right. Upper management is continuing to cover it all up. Seen a ton of major breaches due to this.

FishNGrits

Superstar
Daps
The H1B limit will be raised as part of comprehensive immigration reform. Tech salaries will definitely crater 30-40%. If you're new to the field or just starting out your screwed.
:mjlol:
You better find something else to do and pronto.
:pachaha:
You've been warned.
My younger cousin found this out the hard way as a recent comp sci grad. Did everything right that adults told him to do and he got fcked. :francis:

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps
Definitely depends on your skillset. I've noticed Jr devs get ran through a lot but there's still openings. Yeah, it depends on how far out you cast your net.

Can't find something within your local area, go out a couple states. Throw your weight over the entire fukking country. Why not?

Don't be afraid to relocate for $$$. You'll be compensated regardless so it's really not about the money. How far you willing to go get that shyt. :unimpressed:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Posted in the other thread, but it really depends on who you are, what you can do, etc.

Those who say the high salaries are gone, they absolutely are not. In fact, it's the opposite. They weren't paying people ~$4 mil/year two years ago but they are today.

However, again, it depends on who you are and your skills. They're not going to give the average person $400k remote, but you can absolutely land $150k remote.

Rona Wang graduated from M.I.T with a degree in Math and another in CS. I'm guessing her friend she's talking about at least did CS at that school.

I have almost zero doubt shyt is "next man up" at that company. They fire somebody then that person they're paying $300k to for sitting around will have their chance to shine.

Only downside is, that person all of a sudden who gets called up has an increase in responsibility at their "chill" job may not be so receptive to the increased workload and will look to work elsewhere.

$800k/year job for this recent hire (Staff SWE):

1 level higher (Principal) is $1.4 - $2.x mil/year.

That was earlier in the year, next year it'll most likely clear $4 mil easily.

Last edited:

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The H1B limit will be raised as part of comprehensive immigration reform. Tech salaries will definitely crater 30-40%. If you're new to the field or just starting out your screwed.
:mjlol:
You better find something else to do and pronto.
:pachaha:
You've been warned.