Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
They done fired like 35% of the devs here.

The rest they teaching how to use IBM Watsonx Code Assistant.

You just literally type code and this shyt is like "did you mean this?" and if you got even the most basic coding skills you can type some end to end solutions for shyt. :wow:

They really got our junior devs out here making 68k and using Code Assistant to straight decouple old applications and turn them shyts into straight individual micro services.:wow:

These junior devs dont even know whar decoupling is or the value of what they working on. :wow:

It's getting NASTY out here. I'm talking you walk in she on the ground buck naked all 3 holes already gushing :wow:

that guy

Superstar
Daps
Yup. Like I said earlier in this thread and other threads.

When you look at how many international schools' Engineering programs are now ABET-accredited through the 2010's and now 2020's, it only makes sense companies are going to look at them for cheap labor now.

You can filter from this link > Search By Category, filter all other countries and see how many schools just got accredited by the organization recently.
That's how much new competition we got.

When I look at Universidad Industrial de Santander located in Bucaramanga, Colombia, I see their Electrical Engineering program received ABET accreditation in 2021. That means all the graduates from there for that program are now live competition. No one had to deal with that 20 years ago.

shyt, just look at abet.org on the main page and see the map of countries that produce students up to standard now. That accreditation means the same standard that American schools' Engineering programs abided by is now met by schools at those locations. It's high quality, cheap labor.

The absolute shyt part is, many of those schools are free to attend for the citizens in those countries. So they can work without any college debt.

Honestly, online education where anybody can access high-quality learning materials because of Youtube, Khan Academy, MIT OCW, etc. has pretty much leveled the playing field.

Unfortunately, shyt in this country is just getting more expensive. It's total bullshyt.
It’s funny you say this. My wife is Colombian. Her brother in law works for an American firm. I was like damn so you making an American salary while living in Colombia?! :gladbron:

Him: “no they pay me in pesos” :francis:

Me: :huhldup:

that guy

Superstar
Daps
All I see is Supreme greed from companies/CEOs...and the same mixed with incompetence from governments. So much bad policy is fukking people. You have to shake your head at the idiocy that we see everywhere.

CEOs have destroyed worker incomes to enrich themselves. Just look at the income growth for CEOs vs workers. I mean, they don't even have to be successful.
Perfect example is elon musk, asking for a $56 billion pay package while laying off thousands of employees with no notice. He spends most of his day trolling on twitter and makes over 10 times more than all tesla employees combined :wow:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
It’s funny you say this. My wife is Colombian. Her brother in law works for an American firm. I was like damn so you making an American salary while living in Colombia?! :gladbron:

Him: “no they pay me in pesos” :francis:

Me: :huhldup:
shyt, our company hired a Colombian and Argentinian last year. I can tell our company working them to the bone. Literally one dude is handling all the React component design across all platforms.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
The wild thing is they use Black people as the face of DEI when all that shyt got spammed by delusional white women who don't do shyt and flood social media about making 6 figures not doing shyt (with a few black women sprinkled in). This is the shyt that fuels companies covering themselves with layoffs from an optics standpoint + white supremecist and the asian buffers using their talking points for elimination of certain programs (that never even benefitted black folks in masse besides once again a few black women who serve as guard dogs).

Affirmative Action's #1 group that it benefits are White Women

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Luckily enrollment to universities is WAY down as Gen Z and Alpha aren’t falling for the same bullshyt we did. That will force some change in both tuition price and workforce requirements once an entire new pipeline of talent comes in without degrees.
Nah. Just more H1Bs and international students are gonna be filling those seats and taking those jobs. Country is cooked and just gonna be a gigantic play place for the world's 1%ers. Thanks globalism! :smh:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

You just literally type code and this shyt is like "did you mean this?" and if you got even the most basic coding skills you can type some end to end solutions for shyt. :wow:

They really got our junior devs out here making 68k and using Code Assistant to straight decouple old applications and turn them shyts into straight individual micro services.:wow:

These junior devs dont even know whar decoupling is or the value of what they working on. :wow:

It's getting NASTY out here. I'm talking you walk in she on the ground buck naked all 3 holes already gushing :wow:

they open sourced their Granite coding models this week

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

yup ai is a cancer

ish is writing most of my vba scripts and python scripts though :francis:

that guy

Superstar
Daps
Would y’all recommend someone getting into the tech field to get into software development or cloud engineer?

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I tried Revature but they're on some stupid shyt so I went the Dev10 route. I have a behavioral interview with them on Tuesday. :manny:
Few years ago I would have never done this but getting paid to learn SQL and JavaScript for 3 months and potentially getting placed with a company Bank of America or Delta sounds like a dream compared to sitting at home sending out hundreds of applications and not getting 1 interview.:manny:
I have about 40K saved up so I'm good with wherever they relocate me. Its a 2 year contract so I'll be about 31 when it's done so hopefully the job market is back to a respectable level. Wish me luck.:manny:
Did the group interview on Tuesday which was the final interview. Got an email saying I did well on the interview but didn’t get the job since their cohort was full. They said if I was interested they would consider me for the July 8th cohort.:francis:

This interview process was about 6 steps and I started at the end of March. This is some time wasting bullshyt man.:francis:

I was on Reddit and saw this thread:

This dude spent a week doing a take home assessment for this company, only to get ghosted, then get an automated rejection email and then finds out they didn’t even look at his submission.

What’s hilarious is I applied to that company and got the same email a couple weeks ago about the take home assessment. When I went to do it, I looked at the instructions and hit the :childplease::mjlol: and went on about my day. :mjlol:

I won’t lie I was questioning myself about whether I should have at least tried to do it and wondering if I was really committed to trying to be an SWE but after reading that thread and seeing how many people did that crap and still got rejected (mind you we all seemed to get the same rejection email at around 5 PM yesterday) I’m glad I did. This whole interview process in this industry is messed up and needs an overhaul asap.:childplease::camby:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Would y’all recommend someone getting into the tech field to get into software development or cloud engineer?
I still say go for software engineer, but try to learn some AWS on the side.

If you're learning from scratch I'd say 80/20 that balance.

that way i you go into cloud engineering the interviewer will know software isn't your weakpoint and if you go into software you can let them know you have AWS experience.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Bruh I’m supposed to start community college classes in the fall term of this year en route to an electrical engineering degree at a university. This shyt dropping at this time has got me and others in my position all the way discombobulated. I been putting time in gathering all the resources I need for this discipline and studying to understand it to take away the stress of failing a field that is very demanding. This coming out just added extra unnecessary stress like a mf.

Depends what you want to do but get the degree. You can get work in other countries. Engineers are severely underpaid for the work required.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
yup ai is a cancer

ish is writing most of my vba scripts and python scripts though :francis:

Crazy. Computer science is a hard degree too. Wiped out. If devs were smart they would have banded together and stopped this shyt before it even started. Put some bugs in that shyt.

Sadly CEOs don’t think about anything but growth and stocks. They don’t really give a shyt how they get there.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Oh for sure I’m definitely sticking to it, as there is no other alternative for me at this point but also for the reasons you stated, it is what it is.
Good stuff breh, best of luck with your journey, you got it in the bag. Definitely try to enjoy the process and don't be intimidated to go slow. Just grind problems one at a time and take away the lessons learned from the problem. Rinse and repeat until the finish line becomes clear.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

experienced brehs better put that 10-15 yr plan together for retirement lol. I`m probably selling alll my shyt and will sell fried fish on the beach in South America or Africa