Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Recruiter just hit me up for a 60-70$ fully remote BA job for a big tech company.

DM me if anybody wants it.

It's ugly out here :sadcam:
Recruiters hit up hundreds of nikkas all day every day lol. Doesn’t mean they’ll get it, Doesn’t even mean the job is actually real.

A lot of recruiters now get paid just to resume stuff.

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
Last edited:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
https://www.reddit.com/r/EngineeringStudents/comments/1coh9fa/american_council_of_engineers_ceo_begs_the_us/?share_id=Ck6Jgel7Ltxx5N-qAiXLE&utm_content=1&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_source=share&utm_term=1

These ceos and lobbyists are trying their best to suppress wages. Imagine busting your ass in college learning highly technical math and science only to not get hired after you graduate, while being told there is a shortage. This very disheartening.

I can't believe how much Americans spend on College just to get regular jobs. Crazy shyt.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
https://www.reddit.com/r/EngineeringStudents/comments/1coh9fa/american_council_of_engineers_ceo_begs_the_us/?share_id=Ck6Jgel7Ltxx5N-qAiXLE&utm_content=1&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_source=share&utm_term=1

These ceos and lobbyists are trying their best to suppress wages. Imagine busting your ass in college learning highly technical math and science only to not get hired after you graduate, while being told there is a shortage. This very disheartening.
Yup. Like I said earlier in this thread and other threads.

When you look at how many international schools' Engineering programs are now ABET-accredited through the 2010's and now 2020's, it only makes sense companies are going to look at them for cheap labor now.

You can filter from this link > Search By Category, filter all other countries and see how many schools just got accredited by the organization recently.
That's how much new competition we got.

When I look at Universidad Industrial de Santander located in Bucaramanga, Colombia, I see their Electrical Engineering program received ABET accreditation in 2021. That means all the graduates from there for that program are now live competition. No one had to deal with that 20 years ago.

shyt, just look at abet.org on the main page and see the map of countries that produce students up to standard now. That accreditation means the same standard that American schools' Engineering programs abided by is now met by schools at those locations. It's high quality, cheap labor.

The absolute shyt part is, many of those schools are free to attend for the citizens in those countries. So they can work without any college debt.

Honestly, online education where anybody can access high-quality learning materials because of Youtube, Khan Academy, MIT OCW, etc. has pretty much leveled the playing field.

Unfortunately, shyt in this country is just getting more expensive. It's total bullshyt.

Last edited:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

When you look at how many international schools' Engineering programs are now ABET-accredited through the 2010's and now 2020's, it only makes sense companies are going to look at them for cheap labor now.

You can filter from this link > Search By Category, filter all other countries and see how many schools just got accredited by the organization recently.

shyt, just look at abet.org on the main page and see the map of countries now. That accreditation means the same standard that American schools' Engineering programs abided by is now met by schools at those locations. It's high quality, cheap labor.

Honestly, online education where anybody can access high-quality learning materials because of Youtube, Khan Academy, MIT OCW, etc. has pretty much leveled the playing field.

Unfortunately, shyt in this country is just getting more expensive. It's total bullshyt.

All I see is Supreme greed from companies/CEOs...and the same mixed with incompetence from governments. So much bad policy is fukking people. You have to shake your head at the idiocy that we see everywhere.

CEOs have destroyed worker incomes to enrich themselves. Just look at the income growth for CEOs vs workers. I mean, they don't even have to be successful.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
All I see is Supreme greed from companies/CEOs...and the same mixed with incompetence from governments. So much bad policy is fukking people. You have to shake your head at the idiocy that we see everywhere.

CEOs have destroyed worker incomes to enrich themselves. Just look at the income growth for CEOs vs workers. I mean, they don't even have to be successful.
Yup and it's total bullshyt people are going into $80k debt to walk out with a degree that they can't get a job with and interest rates start hitting.

We're actually putting people in a worse position after getting an advanced degree.

People legit walking into colleges as middle class, getting an advanced degree only to be struggling financially 2 years later on the verge of poverty because of debt. It's crazy and predatory.

If they pass that shyt, every single member of congress needs to get the boot for letting this happen. Every last one.
They're not protecting this country's brainpower.
Currently, the US Department of Labor is looking to reschedule several STEM and Non-Stem occupations as Schedule A, meaning that companies will be able to directly sponsor visa workers in the US without having to prove that they attempted to hire US citizens at all, skipping a process that has long been requires by law.

In her public comment, the CEO of the American Engineering Council, Linda Bauer Darr, among many other special interest groups, makes the following claim:

"There has long been a significant gap between the number of engineers who graduate from U.S. universities and the demand for those engineers. Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics reveals a notable disparity in the unemployment rate between the Architecture/Engineering (A/E) industry and the national average. The national average unemployment rate is 3.7 percent but the unemployment rate for the A/E industry is only 1.5 percent. The National Science Foundation confirms that the unemployment rate for engineers is consistently lower than the average unemployment rate, including during the pandemic. The ACEC RI reports that 87 percent of engineering firms have at least one opening. Firms with more than 500 full-time equivalent positions (FTEs) have a median of 93 open positions. On the other end of the size spectrum, 15 percent of the positions are open at firms with 25 or fewer FTEs."

Last edited:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yup and it's total bullshyt people are going into $80k debt to walk out with a degree that they can't get a job with and interest rates start hitting.

We're actually putting people in a worse position after getting an advanced degree.

People legit walking into colleges as middle class only to be struggling financially 10 years later. It's crazy.

Sad times.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Luckily enrollment to universities is WAY down as Gen Z and Alpha aren’t falling for the same bullshyt we did. That will force some change in both tuition price and workforce requirements once an entire new pipeline of talent comes in without degrees.

Black Haven

Daps

When I look at Universidad Industrial de Santander located in Bucaramanga, Colombia, I see their Electrical Engineering program received ABET accreditation in 2021. That means all the graduates from there for that program are now live competition. No one had to deal with that 20 years ago.

shyt, just look at abet.org on the main page and see the map of countries that produce students up to standard now. That accreditation means the same standard that American schools' Engineering programs abided by is now met by schools at those locations. It's high quality, cheap labor.

The absolute shyt part is, many of those schools are free to attend for the citizens in those countries. So they can work without any college debt.

Bruh I’m supposed to start community college classes in the fall term of this year en route to an electrical engineering degree at a university. This shyt dropping at this time has got me and others in my position all the way discombobulated. I been putting time in gathering all the resources I need for this discipline and studying to understand it to take away the stress of failing a field that is very demanding. This coming out just added extra unnecessary stress like a mf.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Bruh I’m supposed to start community college classes in the fall term of this year en route to an electrical engineering degree at a university. This shyt dropping at this time has got me and others in my position all the way discombobulated. I been putting time in gathering all the resources I need for this discipline and studying to understand it to take away the stress of failing a field that is very demanding. This coming out just added extra unnecessary stress like a mf.
Man, I'm in my last year of my BS EE degree right now. Only really have Signals, Embedded Systems and Control systems classes for my upper divisions core and some easier electives left.

I already have a BS CS degree and a job so I'm going to stay in software as long as I can, but some of my classmates who are in the EE program can't find an internship at this time and are feeling like they're screwed after college. I want to get them a job doing hardware, but my company hasn't been looking for interns either.

To me, definitely stick with it because an advanced degree is an advanced degree and indicates to many employers someone is more than capable of doing a job. That said, even before this STEM was always tough to get a job in once the boom settles. Definitely try to get an internship around your sophomore or junior year.

Last edited:

Black Haven

Daps
Man, I'm in my last year of my BS EE degree right now. Only really have Signals and Control systems classes for my upper divisions core and some easier electives left.

I already have a BS CS degree and a job so I'm going to stay in software as long as I can, but some of my classmates who are in the EE program can't find an internship at this time and are feeling like they're screwed after college. I want to get them a job doing hardware, but my company hasn't been looking for interns either.

To me, definitely stick with it because an advanced degree is an advanced degree and indicates to many employers someone is more than capable of doing a job. That said, even before this STEM was always tough to get a job in once the boom settles. Definitely try to get an internship around your sophomore and junior year.
Oh for sure I’m definitely sticking to it, as there is no other alternative for me at this point but also for the reasons you stated, it is what it is.