Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

lespaulultra3

All Star
Daps
How does retirement look for someone in tech? Obviously there’s no pension system or union so is the best idea to save into a 401k and just move the account every time you switch jobs?

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
How does retirement look for someone in tech? Obviously there’s no pension system or union so is the best idea to save into a 401k and just move the account every time you switch jobs?

Yea, people complain about high Tech salaries but you have no union, you have no pension, it’s high turnover and often you get screwed on severance . Also remember that being old in tech is bad. Very hard to establish a long term career in this industry. You basically move from job to job and hopefully you moving up but turnover is so high you are just trying to hang on. I been lucky but I have no job security regardless how much I move up. That’s why you don’t accept a low salary in tech. You’re giving up everything.

Retirement? I have what would be referred to as a 401k and invest in real estate.

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
Good stuff breh, best of luck with your journey, you got it in the bag. Definitely try to enjoy the process and don't be intimidated to go slow. Just grind problems one at a time and take away the lessons learned from the problem. Rinse and repeat until the finish line becomes clear.
Appreciate the encouragement fam.I meant to ask you question earlier in regards to the internships but, how soon do you think I could attain an electronics technician gig while pursuing my degree? I’m already aware you need an associates to get a job as one but was wondering if after a couple semester could I apply for one?

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Appreciate the encouragement fam.I meant to ask you question earlier in regards to the internships but, how soon do you think I could attain an electronics technician gig while pursuing my degree? I’m already aware you need an associates to get a job as one but was wondering if after a couple semester could I apply for one?
Man, honestly I wouldn't know as that seems like a pretty heavy hands-on job. I just know my classmates started to apply during sophomore year for internships.

For a technician role where you'd probably understand most of what you'd learn on the job I'd say most likely after a course on Embedded Systems and Control Systems would be my best guess because it sounds like those get far more practical. The intro Circuits/Electronics courses do get hands on, but still real basic stuff and still a good amount of theory. I haven't taken Embedded and Control Systems yet (I pushed the latter for my very last semester), but it honestly sounds like those will pretty much get you on the technician level as it starts getting more specific.

Last edited:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Inside 'mob-like' world of Amazon that left one employee so traumatized he jumped off Seattle office roof - as his chilling final email to staff is revealed​

The engineer thought Amazon would be his dream job,’ writes Mattioli. ‘But the first few months turned out not to be ideal. He worked late into the night most nights - sometimes until 4am - and through the weekend. The construct of work-life balance didn’t exist at Amazon, but that was okay for him. He funneled all of his energy into his work.

'After asking his boss for a transfer to a different team, he began experiencing retaliatory behavior. Even though the boss had given the engineer high marks during his performance review, he began to openly criticize him, according to the suicide note.'

Weeks later, the engineer’s boss put him on a performance improvement plan, or PIP.

'PIPs are dreaded at Amazon, as they are usually a precursor to being terminated. It’s Amazon’s way of managing an employee out of the company.’

This felt like the last straw. The engineer had done everything he could to please his boss. And so he typed. He referred to the PIP as an insult, and even called his boss a murderer.

The engineer was injured but survived the suicide attempt.

However, the book claims that none of Amazon’s senior management addressed it with staff, and the IT team quickly deleted the email, saying it contained ‘aggressive and inflammatory language’.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Inside 'mob-like' world of Amazon that left one employee so traumatized he jumped off Seattle office roof - as his chilling final email to staff is revealed​

The engineer thought Amazon would be his dream job,’ writes Mattioli. ‘But the first few months turned out not to be ideal. He worked late into the night most nights - sometimes until 4am - and through the weekend. The construct of work-life balance didn’t exist at Amazon, but that was okay for him. He funneled all of his energy into his work.

'After asking his boss for a transfer to a different team, he began experiencing retaliatory behavior. Even though the boss had given the engineer high marks during his performance review, he began to openly criticize him, according to the suicide note.'

Weeks later, the engineer’s boss put him on a performance improvement plan, or PIP.

'PIPs are dreaded at Amazon, as they are usually a precursor to being terminated. It’s Amazon’s way of managing an employee out of the company.’

This felt like the last straw. The engineer had done everything he could to please his boss. And so he typed. He referred to the PIP as an insult, and even called his boss a murderer.

The engineer was injured but survived the suicide attempt.

However, the book claims that none of Amazon’s senior management addressed it with staff, and the IT team quickly deleted the email, saying it contained ‘aggressive and inflammatory language’.
Amazon has a terrible work culture. They pay shyt and work long hours and strict with back to office. At least Google still has high salaries.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you get super lucky, you get into a startup and get stocks to set you for life, but those are far and few between. For most people it’s just their 401k, some stock if you’re lucky, and investments. But that’s really any non union pensioned job.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
You should be using that high salary in tech to max out your 401k every year at a minimum then have other investments. unless you at a company that's going through a lot of growth (nvidia, microsoft, etc.) you better off cashing out the RSUs and putting that cash into something else

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Left for a fully remote gig last year. Fukk a hybrid.
:wow:

Ordered back to the office, top tech talent left instead, study finds​

In the months following return-to-office mandates, an increased number of senior employees departed Apple, Microsoft and SpaceX, often to work for competitors.

Return-to-office mandates at some of the most powerful tech companies — Apple, Microsoft and SpaceX — were followed by a spike in departures among the most senior, tough-to-replace talent, according to a case study published last week by researchers at the University of Chicago and the University of Michigan.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Good, it's the top tech talent that's producing the products that are making these companies so much money and these suits think they are some easily replaceable worker. More should just up and leave, work for other companies or just start their own.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Amazon has a terrible work culture. They pay shyt and work long hours and strict with back to office. At least Google still has high salaries.
But Besos is ballin though. Shareholders are happy. The whole system is fukked!
You should be using that high salary in tech to max out your 401k every year at a minimum then have other investments. unless you at a company that's going through a lot of growth (nvidia, microsoft, etc.) you better off cashing out the RSUs and putting that cash into something else

Microsoft has laid off a lot of people.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Good, it's the top tech talent that's producing the products that are making these companies so much money and these suits think they are some easily replaceable worker. More should just up and leave, work for other companies or just start their own.

Exactly. The suits know nothing about the tech that is being created or maintained. I mentioned this a while back about how frustrating it is that leadership often times making decisions with no real understanding of their product. Just looking at dollars and cents. fukk them. Tech is littered with these jack offs running companies into the ground.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
\
Exactly. The suits know nothing about the tech that is being created or maintained. I mentioned this a while back about how frustrating it is that leadership often times making decisions with no real understanding of their product. Just looking at dollars and cents. fukk them. Tech is littered with these jack offs running companies into the ground.

That was my CEO of the last company :mjlol:. We who face clients from the day to day, knew the client needs but never consulted us. The CEO knows nothing about Cyber Security in depth, company went straight down the drain. Her solution was India and Romania. All they know is cut cost lol.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Still employed but feeling the pressure. I never got less than a 3 out of 4 on my annual review but now in my 1 on 1s my manager is saying that's not enough. Basically have to get a 3.5 consistently or "HR will be asking questions" as he put it. If you search me in this thread not too long ago I was saying how my bosses boss was telling me we're needed and everything is ok and every time I took a random mid week day off dude would be asking me if everything is aight in the next stand up :dead:

I'm a lead and the work is already hard af and now they're trying to squeeze more and more out of us. If the market wasn't so bad I would seriously consider just quitting and chilling for a lil bit. I did that twice during covid and it worked out well including getting this current job and a 6 figure pay increase. Just too much instability to do anything like that now. Not to mention it would probably be impossible for me to get a similar salary in this environment and if I somehow could the job might be even worse. Going update my resume and use what ever free time I have over the next month to study my architecture more so i can better "craft my story" when if I bounce
damn... what chance to college grads stand if this is what experienced engineers are going through