Official Godfather Trilogy thread. Plus info on why Sicilians called Michael "Migueleh"

Realest nikka from the GF trilogy?

• Vito Andolini Corleone

• Miguele Corleone

• Fredo Corleone

• Santino Corleone

• Constanzia Corleone Rizzi

• Mama Corleone

• Vinzenzo Mancini Corleone

• Pete Clemenza

• Tessio

• Luca Brasi

• Moe Greene

• Hyman Roth

• Tom Hagen

• Johnny Fontaine

• Joey zaza

Results are only viewable after voting.

Quarterback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCOaI06zAvg
Daps
Reppin
Where many murders occur
Breh I kinda feel like Mario would name the character his government name. Like why the hell wouldn't he? And if it wasn't his government name he would've stated that.
Well, breh, I don't think Vito would give his son an anglo name. Mario didn't specify because it is irrelevant to the plot. No one cares except hardcores. Remember, Al Capone's real name is Alphonse.
You're still wrong tho his name is Michael or michele and named after st. Michael. ....... which is a Hebrew name

His name is Michael/michele Both ways its a K Sound
In Sicily, it's a G sound. The proof is in the OP.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goombah

Goombah is the Americanized spelling of cumpa, a Southern Italian dialectic version of the Italian word compare (masculine "friend"). In many Southern Italian dialects (see Neapolitan language and Sicilian language) "c"s are pronounced like "g"s

And Michael is the anglicization of מִיכָאֵל (Mikha'el). Yes, Hebrew in origin, but anglicised.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Well, breh, I don't think Vito would give his son an anglo name. Mario didn't specify because it is irrelevant to the plot. No one cares except hardcores. Remember, Al Capone's real name is Alphonse.
In Sicily, it's a G sound. The proof is in the OP.

Breh first off Michael is also the name of a famous angel so it wouldn't surprise me
that a Roman Catholic family would name their kid after an angel. secondly just because you can't see it happening you're basing it off your assumptions rather than what's in front of you. His name is Michael in the book. And in the movie. And no other texts even once hints that his name is anything other than Michael with a nickname of Mikey. That's like me arguing that Sherlock Holmes first name isn't sherlock. Or James bond's first name isn't james. To posite that an author didn't give a shyt and just gave any name to a character he created is extremely presumptuous and out of left field. There's nothing to substantiate your claim. Not one solitary thing.

In fact it makes total sense for Vito to name him Michael, a Hebrew name,and not anything Italian because he wanted Michael to be separate. He wanted him to be a part from everything that was the family business. He wanted him to be a senator or president not be caught up in the mafia lifestyle. Everything about Michael set him a part from his family, whether it be him joining the service, dating a white woman, being his dad's favorite, being the youngest, and yes his name.

Quarterback

Daps
Reppin
Where many murders occur
Breh first off Michael is also the name of a famous angel so it wouldn't surprise me
that a Roman Catholic family would name their kid after an angel. secondly just because you can't see it happening you're basing it off your assumptions rather than what's in front of you. His name is Michael in the book. And in the movie. And no other texts even once hints that his name is anything other than Michael with a nickname of Mikey. That's like me arguing that Sherlock Holmes first name isn't sherlock. Or James bond's first name isn't james. To posite that an author didn't give a shyt and just gave any name to a character he created is extremely presumptuous and out of left field. There's nothing to substantiate your claim. Not one solitary thing.

In fact it makes total sense for Vito to name him Michael, a Hebrew name,and not anything Italian because he wanted Michael to be separate. He wanted him to be a part from everything that was the family business. He wanted him to be a senator or president not be caught up in the mafia lifestyle. Everything about Michael set him a part from his family, whether it be him joining the service, dating a white woman, being his dad's favorite, being the youngest, and yes his name.
Dawg, Indiana Jones' real name wasn't Indiana. Your James Bond analogy is rubbish, many characters' backstories reveal different birth names.

Anyway, look what I found: http://leeds-phdstudents.colorado.edu/samoranm/index_files/Page395.htm

A very famous person had the same problem: Michael Corleone (photo on the right). His real name is Michele and he changed it to Michael. You can verify this fact in many of the Italian-speaking scenes of the Godfather (I and II). For example, check out this scene from the Godfather

C
heck mate.

Quarterback

Daps
Reppin
Where many murders occur
The nikka was nammed after st Michael
his name is Michael

There was no reason why you should have thrown a g in there cause it's Michael/michele
Did you see what I posted or not? The proof is there that his birth name is prolly not Michael and what the Sicily pronunciation is. Don't ignore posts in a discussion, breh.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Dawg, Indiana Jones' real name wasn't Indiana. Your James Bond analogy is rubbish, many characters' backstories reveal different birth names.

Anyway, look what I found: http://leeds-phdstudents.colorado.edu/samoranm/index_files/Page395.htm

A very famous person had the same problem: Michael Corleone (photo on the right). His real name is Michele and he changed it to Michael. You can verify this fact in many of the Italian-speaking scenes of the Godfather (I and II). For example, check out this scene from the Godfather

C
heck mate.

Yeah but here's the thing: it was revealed his name was Henry homie. It was a plot point too. It wasn't just "oh hey lets throw that in there" so try again

2ndly you're going to really use a student website from a college in Colorado as your proof?:wow: Ok homie clearly you want this W a lot. Like need it in your bone marrow so you think whatever you think man. Apparently you and this student from Colorado state know better than Mario Puzzo

Quarterback

Daps
Reppin
Where many murders occur
Don't be passive aggresive, breh. We're not saying we know more than Mario, but we do know more about the culture and how the majority will give their kids Italian names even if 99% of everyone calls them by the anglo version. It's all speculation, no one is wrong or right, Mario never wrote "His name on his birth certificate is __________" . He had a plot to progress, a minute backstory detail was irrelevant.

Check this out about the Trilogy's star:
Al Pacino - Biography - IMDb
www.imdb.com/name/nm0000199/bio
Birth Name, Alfredo James Pacino

Oftentimes a birth name is not the one people go by in everyday life.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Don't be passive aggresive, breh. We're not saying we know more than Mario, but we do know more about the culture and how the majority will give their kids Italian names even if 99% of everyone calls them by the anglo version. It's all speculation, no one is wrong or right, Mario never wrote "His name on his birth certificate is __________" . He had a plot to progress, a minute backstory detail was irrelevant.

I'm not being passive aggressive homie I just don't see any point in trying to say a characters name isn't what it is when the author never hinted at it being anything other than that. Which is why I said your Indiana jones analogy doesn't work because that was clearly stated and with a reason. Every thing in the movie and the book has a purpose and reasoning behind it so Michael's name being Michael makes a whole lot of sense thematically. A whole lot. So to posite that Mario Puzzo somehow messed up the name of a character he created just seems silly to me, no offense. I'm not arguing there is an Italian version of his name but for the sake of the movie and the book he has the Hebrew version of his name and that's that. It's just presumptuous to say "oh Puzzo didn't care so he just picked a name" and then try to say that "this is the name he really meant to pick" is extremely arrogant breh. He wrote the book the name is what it is.

And you rob the character and movie and book of a key theme: Michael is supposed to be different. He's supposed to be the more "American" of his family. He's a vet, he's in love with a white woman, he's bled for the country, he's sort of a black sheep from his family, he's a "nice college boy" all of that including his name informs the character and pushes forward a theme of the entire saga. So to say "oh his name is actually this even tho it's written as something else" takes all of that away. Vito wanted Michael to be different why in the hell wouldn't he name him after a saint?

Last edited:

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
I'm not being passive aggressive homie I just don't see any point in trying to say a characters name isn't what it is when the author never hinted at it being anything other than that. Which is why I said your Indiana jones analogy doesn't work because that was clearly stated and with a reason. Every thing in the movie and the book has a purpose and reasoning behind it so Michael's name being Michael makes a whole lot of sense thematically. A whole lot. So to posite that Mario Puzzo somehow messed up the name of a character he created just seems silly to me, no offense. I'm not arguing there is an Italian version of his name but for the sake of the movie and the book he has the Hebrew version of his name and that's that. It's just presumptuous to say "oh Puzzo didn't care so he just picked a name" and then try to say that "this is the name he really meant to pick" is extremely arrogant breh. He wrote the book the name is what it is.

And you rob the character and movie and book of a key theme: Michael is supposed to be different. He's supposed to be the more "American" of his family. He's a vet, he's in love with a white woman, he's bled for the country, he's sort of a black sheep from his family, he's a "nice college boy" all of that including his name informs the character and pushes forward a theme of the entire saga. So to say "oh his name is actually this even tho it's written as something else" takes all of that away. Vito wanted Michael to be different why in the hell wouldn't he name him after a saint?
Here's why its stupid.
They're pretty religious
he was clearly named after st michael/michele

Breh was trying ti drop knowledge and royally screwed up

Super Cheech

I Feel So Westcoast
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles / SOHH Icey
Miguel eh
Jy70J.png

Quarterback

Daps
Reppin
Where many murders occur
Here's why its stupid.
They're pretty religious
he was clearly named after st michael/michele

Breh was trying ti drop knowledge and royally screwed up
He would still be naming him after a saint if he named him Michele.
San Michele - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Michele
San Michele is the Italian name of the Archangel Michael (or Saint Michael).

That's not the issue. The key to Marty's argument was Vito's willingness to c00n after being in America for so long. He named his 1st 3 kids Italian names, so at 1st glance, it would stand to reason that the 4th would be named in Italian. That was my argument. However, Marty's point about Vito's c00ning does hold water, and many here at the coli understand it.

The coli has tons of threads concerning whether to c00n or not. We're surrounded by a mainstream anglo cac society, sometimes people choose to fit in to in rather than keep it real. It's entirely possible Vito wanted his 4th child to be more "mainstream", and thus was named Michael instead of Michele (Miguele). Making him stick out from the rest, which is the central theme of the Trilogy. He stuck out. He felt he didn't fit in with the family or with Sicilian culture. Even in Sicily, he chose to speak English to Apollonia's pops rather than Italian.

And of course, he ended up as the Don, immersed in the fam biz, and ironically, spent his last years speaking exclusively Italian, living Sicilian life and was called Miguele all the time, and never Michael anymore.

This reversal of destiny is what makes him one of the most intriguing characters in fictional history.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
He would still be naming him after a saint if he named him Michele.
San Michele - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Michele
San Michele is the Italian name of the Archangel Michael (or Saint Michael).

That's not the issue. The key to Marty's argument was Vito's willingness to c00n after being in America for so long. He named his 1st 3 kids Italian names, so at 1st glance, it would stand to reason that the 4th would be named in Italian. That was my argument. However, Marty's point about Vito's c00ning does hold water, and many here at the coli understand it.

The coli has tons of threads concerning whether to c00n or not. We're surrounded by a mainstream anglo cac society, sometimes people choose to fit in to in rather than keep it real. It's entirely possible Vito wanted his 4th child to be more "mainstream", and thus was named Michael instead of Michele (Miguele). Making him stick out from the rest, which is the central theme of the Trilogy. He stuck out. He felt he didn't fit in with the family or with Sicilian culture. Even in Sicily, he chose to speak English to Apollonia's pops rather than Italian.

And of course, he ended up as the Don, immersed in the fam biz, and ironically, spent his last years speaking exclusively Italian, living Sicilian life and was called Miguele all the time, and never Michael anymore.

This reversal of destiny is what makes him one of the most intriguing characters in fictional history.

Breh he's not c00ning by naming his son Michael and if you can't see that watch the movie again seriously. The whole theme of the movie is the American dream. Vito loves America. He loves what it's done for his family he loves the opportunity it's afforded him and he loves being able to call it his home. They all do. If he didn't love the country he wouldn't have wanted his son to become senator or governor and have higher aspirations for him than mob boss. Get that c00ning shyt out of here