Official Godfather Trilogy thread. Plus info on why Sicilians called Michael "Migueleh"

Realest nikka from the GF trilogy?

• Vito Andolini Corleone

• Miguele Corleone

• Fredo Corleone

• Santino Corleone

• Constanzia Corleone Rizzi

• Mama Corleone

• Vinzenzo Mancini Corleone

• Pete Clemenza

• Tessio

• Luca Brasi

• Moe Greene

• Hyman Roth

• Tom Hagen

• Johnny Fontaine

• Joey zaza

Results are only viewable after voting.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot

The only scene you need to watch for proof that Vito named him Michael for a reason. He didn't want Michael to be stereotyped in America by the top people pulling the strings. He named him Michael so he could become a regular citizen and one day get into American politics and maybe become a Senator or Governor. Now the OP wants you to think otherwise, but we're just gonna ignore him from now on since Vito never called him Miguele even once in the gf movies. Vito was smart. He knew Michael couldn't get into politics with a foreign ass name like his other kids.

/Thread.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

The only scene you need to watch for proof that Vito named him Michael for a reason. He didn't want Michael to be stereotyped in America by the top people pulling the strings. He named him Michael so he could become a regular citizen and one day get into American politics and maybe become a Senator or Governor. Now the OP wants you to think otherwise, but we're just gonna ignore him from now on since Vito never called him Miguele even once in the gf movies. Vito was smart. He knew Michael couldn't get into politics with a foreign ass name like his other kids.

/Thread.

Thank you breh. Been saying that the whole time. He wanted him to be a politician a mover and shaker and knew he couldn't be that with an Italian name. Vito had the game planned out and knew how to play.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
Thank you breh. Been saying that the whole time. He wanted him to be a politician a mover and shaker and knew he couldn't be that with an Italian name. Vito had the game planned out and knew how to play.
It really hit me that that scene is the only proof you need. It explains the GF story perfectly. Obviously though if you're an old priest that still lives in Italy and don't know about American names like Michael and how to correctly pronounce it, you will end up with a scene like the one in the OP with an Italian saying Miguele, because that's the only way he knew to pronounce it. But that doesn't mean Miguele is the correct way to spell or say it. It just means that when he goes to Italy, some old ignorant farts are going to call you Michael the best way they know how, which is Miguele. Doesn't make it correct though. Just shows that even Italians are ignorant to American names the way Americans are ignorant to Italian names. Which is why you had them being called Sonny and Connie in America cause Vito knew most Americans couldn't pronounce the Italian versions. Hence why he gives his American sons names like Fredo and Michael.

Quarterback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCOaI06zAvg
Daps
Reppin
Where many murders occur
Breh he's not c00ning by naming his son Michael and if you can't see that watch the movie again seriously. The whole theme of the movie is the American dream. Vito loves America. He loves what it's done for his family he loves the opportunity it's afforded him and he loves being able to call it his home. They all do. If he didn't love the country he wouldn't have wanted his son to become senator or governor and have higher aspirations for him than mob boss. Get that c00ning shyt out of here
It is c00ning. Do you not read the 10 threads per day made here on the subject. He should be able to keep his Sicilian culture intact, the mainstream society forced his hand. I cosign your and Ruckus's analysis of Vito's motivations. Finally, we got some good arguments. But it's still c00ning, breh. All non-cac cultures should maintain their traditions, whether it be naming kids Italian names, African names, Muslim names, etc. If indeed he gave him a nonItalian name, which is very likely, he c00ned. Doesn't mean he didn't have good intentions. All c00ns are just looking to improve their situations, we discuss this erry day here on the coli.

He wanted safety and prestige for his son, but Vito was not patriotic. He scolded him for joining the army:
  1. While he loved all of them, he was most proud of Michael, an intelligent ... enlisting in the military against his father's wishes.
    Vito Corleone - The Godfather Wiki - Wikia

That also made it doubtful he gave him an anglo name. But you provided 1 solid argument to suggest otherwise. Vito, like all other ethnics in the usa, straddled between c00ning and keeping it real. It's a dilemma millions face, that's why it's such a hot topic here. The Louisiana governor Jindal is a c00n, he changed his Indian name to Bobby. But he wouldn't've been elected governor if he kept his real name. It's a sad reality of living in this society dominated by prejudiced anglo cacs.
Meatball tacos.

Lasagna Quesadillas

Pepperoni Burritos.:ohlawd:

:rudy:
If you associate Spanish with his Sicilian pronunciation, then you must be very sheltered. I guess you think Italians are speaking Spanish when they call their country Italia. "dat sounds like spanish, so then it must be, nikka :dwillhuh:"

:childplease:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It is c00ning. Do you not read the 10 threads per day made here on the subject. He should be able to keep his Sicilian culture intact, the mainstream society forced his hand. I cosign your and Ruckus's analysis of Vito's motivations. Finally, we got some good arguments. But it's still c00ning, breh. All non-cac cultures should maintain their traditions, whether it be naming kids Italian names, African names, Muslim names, etc. If indeed he gave him a nonItalian name, which is very likely, he c00ned. Doesn't mean he didn't have good intentions. All c00ns do, we discuss this erry day here on the coli.

He wanted safety and prestige for his son, but Vito was not patriotic. He scolded him for joining the army:
  1. While he loved all of them, he was most proud of Michael, an intelligent ... enlisting in the military against his father's wishes.
    Vito Corleone - The Godfather Wiki - Wikia

That also made it doubtful he gave him an anglo name. But you provided 1 solid argument to suggest otherwise. Vito, like all other ethnics in the usa, straddled between c00ning and keeping it real It's a dilemma millions face, that's why it's such a hot topic here. The Louisiana governor Jindal is a c00n, he changed his Indian name to Bobby. But he wouldn't've been elected governor if he kept his real name. It's a sad reality of living in this society dominated by prejudiced anglo cacs.
If you associate Spanish with his Sicilian pronunciation, then you must be very sheltered. I guess you think Italians are speaking Spanish when they call their country Italia. "dat sounds like spanish, so then it must be, nikka :dwillhuh:"

:childplease:

No it's c00ning to you and dudes who really don't understand the meaning of the word and use it to throw shots at anyone who goes against what you think it means to be black.

2ndly, breh, give it up lol. You're getting your Reed Richards on right now, like seriously.

Unless you're going to dig up Puzzo, reanimate him and get it straight from his mouth, or unearth some interview from he or Coppola adding some validity to your claims, your coming off like the old man shouting at the wind right now. Let it go breh. We get it, you think his name isn't Michael, you find it highly dubious that this fictional character's name his Michael, but at this point you're fighting a battle you can't win unless you got some receipts breh.

Quarterback

Daps
Reppin
Where many murders occur
2ndly, breh, give it up lol. You're getting your Reed Richards on right now, like seriously.

Unless you're going to dig up Puzzo, reanimate him and get it straight from his mouth, or unearth some interview from he or Coppola adding some validity to your claims, your coming off like the old man shouting at the wind right now. Let it go breh. We get it, you think his name isn't Michael, you find it highly dubious that this fictional character's name his Michael, but at this point you're fighting a battle you can't win unless you got some receipts breh.
Breh, I agreed that your argument was more compelling than mine. Don't trip. You have my respect for your well-reasoned analysis of Don Vito Andolini di Corleone.

I held him in reverence and saw him as someone who was Sicilian to the bone and would never give in to mainstream usa. Like the coli militants here who say "fukk all cacs". But, reality doesn't work that way. I cosign your argument, nikka, we can now move on to other aspects of the Trilogy.

Here's the piffest movie soundtrack for everyone's listening pleasure...

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Breh, I agreed that your argument was more compelling than mine. Don't trip. You have my respect for your well-reasoned analysis of Don Vito Andolini di Corleone.

I held him in reverence and saw him as someone who was Sicilian to the bone and would never give in to mainstream usa. Like the coli militants here who say "fukk all cacs". But, reality doesn't work that way. I cosign your argument, nikka, we can now move on to other aspects of the Trilogy.

Here's the piffest movie soundtrack for everyone's listening pleasure...

:cheers:

Quarterback

Daps
Reppin
Where many murders occur
I apologise too to @Uncle_Ruckus for saying I was 100% sure of his birth name.

Anyway, here's more insight into Sicilian/Southern Italian pronunciation: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-544699.html

"I've often wondered about the Spanish influence on the languages Southern Italy and on us Neapolitans in particular. It's a fact that Neapolitan shares many words with Spanish, but the "chopping off" of some final vowels seems to mimic Spanish speech. For example, the Italian name for Michael is "Michele," whereas the Spanish is "Miguel." I cannot vouch for other Southern Italians, but in Naples, this name is pronounced very similar to "Miguel." Not only is the final vowel cut off or "swallowed," but the 'c' in Southern languages is often pronounced like a soft 'g'.

...a lot of Italian immigrants to the New York area were from Naples, and so the dialect that developed turned melanzana into mulignon. One of the things you find about the dialect is that it drops the final vowel, and voices voiceless consonants (so k turns into g, for instance, p turns into b, d turns into t).

So bracciole becomes braggiol. Capo (head) becomes gab. the pasta cavatelli becomes gavadeel. Comare (godmother, slang for mistress) becomes gumad. Compare (godfather) becomes goombah. The pasta manacotti becomes manigott. Americano becomes Medigan, and so on."

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone hear about the cut scene where Miguele takes the family to a parade. Here's a still:

Puerto-Rican-Day-Parade-118.jpg

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
All non-cac cultures should maintain their traditions

Italian/Greek culture is the foundation of western white culture.

White people trying to fit into another white culture is not c00ning. I don't know what to call it but c00ning is if you are non white.