NO TROLLING: I fail to see how BOTW is a 10/10 when it has all the flaws of open world games

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
One of the things that truly makes the game a 10 is that every experience can be different. Between 3 people playing it I know we all did things differently to get to a certain point and talked about it. I can't even remember the last time that happened in a game.

And I don't just mean in the "open world parts" but in "main story" or game parts as well. None of us handled dungeons area's or bosses alike yet we all felt like we did it the correct way.

That alone puts it in the high 8's or 9 for me. Zelda is truly a open world game.

Usually in Open world games you do open world stuff then you do more linear story progress mission and events that you do in a certain order and way...

Zelda is truly open world, and I can't say that for another Open world game off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
horizon's graphics will age worse due to imitating photorealism, where Zelda's won't because it's art style mimics animated films. so i'd argue that zelda has better graphics for that sole reason

I guarantee you they won't.
First of all the game is highly stylized
is very far from "photo realistic".
Second we're reaching the point of diminishing returns.

Games will continue to look better but will they look so good that games prior will immediately "age worse".
I don't see that happening.v

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
I guarantee you they won't.
First of all the game is highly stylized
is very far from "photo realistic".
Second we're reaching the point of diminishing returns.

Games will continue to look better but will they look so good that games prior will immediately "age worse".
I don't see that happening.v
you should see it happening because future generations of games introduce higher resolutions and more detailed textures. what's 1080p to 4k and what's 4k to 8k? feel me? the higher you go, the less detailed shyt looks in comparison.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I feel like this type of thread is made whenever a GTA game is made with the same arguments.
that's kinda the OP's point though. somehow BOTW gets a pass, when other games get heavily criticized for these issues

to be clear, I really don't think these 'issues' are a problem. I think some people just need to realize that open world games aren't for them

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
I don't think in those terms. Something is either good, average or bad.

But when I something being praised to the moon like BOTW i expect a mind blowing experience that takes open world gaming to new heights.
Doesnt think in those terms but Zelda isn't a 10/10. Makes sense.

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
I'm about 20 hours in cause I didn't start playing this until I finished up Horizon.

But BOTW is the shining example of fans and media overrating Nintendo cause we want so much for them to be great

Just like Other Open world games BOTW

Story lacks urgency, focus and takes a beach seat to the world

Archaic fetch side quest

Climbing towers to open the map

Time padding collect thons( millions of korok seeds)

Having to constantly pause the game & browse through menus

No sense of progression sense I have all the skills at the start.

Lack of enemy variety

And last but not least the lack of music and atmosphere in the open world really brings the game to drag at times

Strong points all around. Game is a 7 at best. The weapon breaking thing is another thing that irks me.

The lack of music and atmosphere, though, I don't mind. It's different but it works imo in this case.

XII

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is all it comes down too. BOTW is an excellent game but only Nintendo games get the benefit where things people criticize other games for get brushed to the side
When you have a long storied history of dropping classics you get the benefit of the doubt :manny:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Do you guys even know what a 10/10 game is?

It's not supposed to be a flawless game, it is simply in the reviewers opinion the best that this game can possibly be done at this given time.

Have they made mistakes? Sure (eg MGS4), but for the most part it is an undeniably quality game...I got bored with it myself because I am not a Zelda fan, but it's very well done and can't see how Nintendo could have made a better game at this time.

10/10 is well deserved in this instance.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
nikkas worried about weapons breaking is the most common complaint. Although it's a valid complaint especially near the beginning of the game, it becomes less of an issue the more you expand your weapon inventory and start marking down on your map with stamps the locations of weapon, bow and shield drops. For instance, every elemental (lightning, fire, ice) melee weapon (swords, claymores and spears) can be found in the colisseum.

There are other ways to kill enemies such as bombs, your horse and wolf Link. picking up things and throwing it, drowning them, explosive barrels, setting them on fire and putting the enemy in between you and another enemy.

taker597

Superstar
Daps

It's not supposed to be a flawless game, it is simply in the reviewers opinion the best that this game can possibly be done at this given time.

Have they made mistakes? Sure (eg MGS4), but for the most part it is an undeniably quality game...I got bored with it myself because I am not a Zelda fan, but it's very well done and can't see how Nintendo could have made a better game at this time.

What is this garbage.... Just because shyt tier reviews giving out 10s like hotcakes totally changes a perfect grading scale.

It's a good solid 9/10 game. Nostalgia boast that shyt up to a 10 for most reviewers. I don't have that nostalgia for Zelda. Especially, in a open world game with a weak narrative. Sub-par graphics and performance. Terrible voice acting. Terrible weapon degradation system mechanic. Side quests are pretty weak.

If you want to know my 10/10. It's Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Mass Effect 2, Witcher 3, HL2, and MGS3.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps

So what are you playing on the switch?

The Plug

plug couldnt trust you now u cant trust the plug
Daps
Story lacks urgency, focus and takes a beach seat to the world
If you knew anything about open world games, you would know that this is a good thing. The last thing an open world game needs is a story that has increased urgency. Why should the game have a story that must be completed now when at the same time the game has lots of side content?

Anyone that has played a good open world game knows that it shouldn't have increased urgency or even a focus on narrative.

I'll leave it to smarter people than you to explain certain things

Last edited: