NO TROLLING: I fail to see how BOTW is a 10/10 when it has all the flaws of open world games

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
horizon's graphics will age worse due to imitating photorealism, where Zelda's won't because it's art style mimics animated films. so i'd argue that zelda has better graphics for that sole reason

What a lame rationalization

Maybe some folks feel a way about a game that any "flaws" they find aren't enough to dock it. Stop trying to find reasons to dismiss reviews for games you don't feel a way about. Y'all always do this; a game y'all not hyped about gets really good scores and then the conspiracies come out and the games that score learn are actually way better and it's just "cacs mad" :russell:

So you are basically saying bias in reviews and promotion of a video game is ok

I'm not talking about "any flaws" I'm talking about the standard criticism levied at Open World games this gen and last gen being blatantly ignored in this game

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
I'm about 20 hours in cause I didn't start playing this until I finished up Horizon.

But BOTW is the shining example of fans and media overrating Nintendo cause we want so much for them to be great

Just like Other Open world games BOTW

Story lacks urgency, focus and takes a beach seat to the world

Archaic fetch side quest

Climbing towers to open the map

Time padding collect thons( millions of korok seeds)

Having to constantly pause the game & browse through menus

No sense of progression sense I have all the skills at the start.

Lack of enemy variety

And last but not least the lack of music and atmosphere in the open world really brings the game to drag at times
story takes bench seat to the world because the world is the main character. if you had the imagination, you'd have figured that out by now and enjoyed creating your own experiences and solving puzzles. you don't have to collect anything if you don't want to, hence speedrunners going to the end boss in an hour.

and yes, nothing is new under the sun. lots of borrowed concepts in zelda and other games.

its got a perfect 10 due to presentation.

IMO GTA 5 + Online is the most perfect game of all time and the same argument for zelda can be made there. nothing new, just its presentation, which wasn't there from the start, because it had to grow into perfection (online).

my second fav is zelda but unlike the first, it was perfect from the very beginning. this game is polished in so many ways and subtleties it just goes over your head.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
What a lame rationalization

I'm not talking about "any flaws" I'm talking about the standard criticism levied at Open World games this gen and last gen being blatantly ignored in this game
she understands it, you don't.

SleezyBigSlim

Banned
Daps
I'm about 20 hours in cause I didn't start playing this until I finished up Horizon.

But BOTW is the shining example of fans and media overrating Nintendo cause we want so much for them to be great

Just like Other Open world games BOTW

Archaic fetch side quest

Lack of enemy variety

And last but not least the lack of music and atmosphere in the open world really brings the game to drag at times
They wanted Zelda to be better then Horizon.

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
yall forget most these nikkas writing these reviews grew up on zelda..... mario 1 or zelda 1 is the first real game most of these cats ever played :mjlol: of course its gonna stay getting high scores everytime it drops zelda is their baby...Zelda still the kang :umad:...just like 50 years from now all these lame COD Kids gonna be writing game reviews and every time a COD drop what u think that game gonna get :mjpls:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
story takes bench seat to the world because the world is the main character. if you had the imagination, you'd have figured that out by now and enjoyed creating your own experiences and solving puzzles. you don't have to collect anything if you don't want to, hence speedrunners going to the end boss in an hour.

and yes, nothing is new under the sun. lots of borrowed concepts in zelda and other games.

its got a perfect 10 due to presentation.

IMO GTA 5 + Online is the most perfect game of all time and the same argument for zelda can be made there. nothing new, just its presentation, which wasn't there from the start, because it had to grow into perfection (online).

my second fav is zelda but unlike the first, it was perfect from the very beginning. this game is polished in so many ways and subtleties it just goes over your head.

If I had an imagination? :dahell:

This game is about exploring the open world... the most refreshing mechanic is that you can climb anything

I'm not sure what you mean by presentation?

They wanted Zelda to be better then Horizon.

They want All Nintendo games to be better than the competition

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
If I had an imagination? :dahell:

This game is about exploring the open world... the most refreshing mechanic is that you can climb anything

I'm not sure what you mean by presentation?

They want All Nintendo games to be better than the competition
Assassin's Creed 2 is the perfect example of great presentation. It was a great game, not much difference between 1 and 2 mechanics-wise. What changed was it's presentation. The director learned from his mistakes and made the overall experience better. That's what happened with Skyward Sword. Some mistakes were made and they were fixed in Breath of the Wild.

Presentation is everything. Just read a couple lines from this random blog about presentation in videogames and you'll understand. http://tay.kinja.com/the-importance-of-presentation-in-games-and-how-to-stre-1771484710

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Assassin's Creed 2 is the perfect example of great presentation. It was a great game, not much difference between 1 and 2 mechanics-wise. What changed was it's presentation. The director learned from his mistakes and made the overall experience better. That's what happened with Skyward Sword. Some mistakes were made and they were fixed in Breath of the Wild.

Presentation is everything. Just read a couple lines from this random blog about presentation in videogames and you'll understand. http://tay.kinja.com/the-importance-of-presentation-in-games-and-how-to-stre-1771484710

Ok, I see where you coming from but presentation alone doesn't mean you can dismiss all the other flaws

Great game... but not GOAT video game like the pre release hype led me to believe

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No, that's what you're saying because you have a disagreement. There's no such thing as an objective review, anyone who thinks so is full of shyt. There's no way one can be 100% objective because the very thing you're talking about boils down to "I like this, I don't like that". You can't be "objective" about what you find fun or interesting. Some gamers find huge worlds to get lost in "fun" while others think it's boring and need a straight path.

None of these things are ignored, you're only amplifying them because it's cool to critique high rated games and the way you're critiquing them makes no sense because some of your points sound good on paper but are kind of weird given how the game executes them. Here's exactly why:

The story lacks urgency? How? The main goal/threat is identified right from the get go. You either go to it/ kill it or go on an adventure.. The story is how you do it.

The same type of adventure the very first LOZ game had so how is it an issue when that's the exact way the first game of it's franchise did things?

Archaic fetch side quest
Just another random critique that sounds nice on paper.

Again, another out of context critique that sound good in a vacuum.

Again, another random critique. Basically if it wasn't in there you'd conveniently fall back to "There's nothing to do in the world!" it's not even something that needs to be done.

Agreed. That alone though isn't something worthy of going "Yeah for this reason the game isn't a 10/10!" because again a 10/10 is how you interpret it e.g. masterpiece, excellent, perfect w/e.

??
You want the game to be a RPG now?

Lack of enemy variety
Ok

I felt the subtlety of the soundtrack fitting for the art style.

Again I'm not even a big Zelda fan and from what I've played I can't pass full judgement but I think the game deserves it's scores.

Every game that gets highly acclaimed doesn't mean it needs to be highly acclaimed to you. You're not "wrong' per se but they're not wrong either. :manny: I still feel like you low key trollin though :ehh:

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
yall forget most these nikkas writing these reviews grew up on zelda..... mario 1 or zelda 1 is the first real game most of these cats ever played :mjlol: of course its gonna stay getting high scores everytime it drops zelda is their baby...Zelda still the kang :umad:...just like 50 years from now all these lame COD Kids gonna be writing game reviews and every time a COD drop what u think that game gonna get :mjpls:
The COD cycle is mostly "the last one was better yo" and "I'm not buying COD anymore" and then Nov 1st they lined up for a new COD.

Ronald

Daps
climbing towers doesnt open the map and show you everything in the area, just the geography

there are 20+ enemies and different variations of each

korok seeds aren't time padding, you don't need to go after them

having all the skills at the start is a bad thing now? lol

are you sure you're playing it? or did u just compile a bunch of hot takes and make this garbage thread