NBA To Announcement Details Of In-Season Tournament

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
But lets say they make it a billion dollars per player.
Ok.
How does that drive fan engagement?
Why do I care if these guys get filthy rich?
They already make more money than any of us will see in 10 lifetimes.
Now theyre supposed to get MORE money for playing regular season games that count for absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things?
It's like... let me put this in NFL terms for why that league would NEVER do this shyt.

Let's start by imagining a team like the Steelers. Currently at 5-3 halfway through the season, with middling qb play. If they had two options in front of them for their next, lets say 4 regular season games:
Play 2 group play games, win them both, and enter a knockout tournament where they'll be seeded against the chiefs, dolphins and eagles of the league, or go 1-1 in the group play game and fall into the "consolation" bracket where they will get 2 regular season games against the titans, bears and panthers of the league.
Such a tournament incentivizes middle of the road performances in the group play phase, to actually AVOID the knockout phase.
That's easy to imagine on a micro scale, because the NFL has a smaller sample size of games.
But give it time, and that same understanding will seap into league circles, once they do the math on the cost/benefit to the tournament as it pertains to the goal of winning a championship. Because ultimately, fan engagement is highest when teams are winning, so once the reddits of the world get crunching the numbers and finding the "optimal" path through the regular season, this tournament is going to devolve into "avoiding the knockout bracket at all costs."

This might literally be, all things considered, the worst logistical proposal I have ever seen in a professional sporting league.

How this idea made it through so many rounds of approvals and green lights is beyond me.

It is mathematically devaluing their regular season. I don't care about "lets give it a chance," "it might be interesting", etc. Once the marketing push dies down and people look at this shyt objectively, theyll see they have created a formula that--once again, like tanking--incentivizes LOSING BASKETBALL GAMES and exacerbates load management conditions.

Insane. Absolutely insane they're doing this.
If the money is enough trust dudes will play harder. Even the stars will because they should know what that extra money will do for their team mates who aren’t on max deals. Add to that it could be a one time bonus check from the league and yeah dudes will play.

You telling me they won’t go hard for a game where they’ll earn a million dollars if they win? Just for the bragging rights they will step up and in theory the higher competition would draw in the fans. The problem is I don’t even think the league is trying to do that.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
An automatic playoffs spot would never work because the NBA Cup Winner would just half-ass the rest of the regular season. HCA would be even worse because multiple teams would de-emphasize the regular season.
Teams do that anyway :russ:. When more than half the teams make the playoffs aftet 82 games you automatically de-emphasize the regular season. At least they would be going all out for the tournament. And its still just one team. I think it should serve as a boost/tie-breaker. You win 50 games and the tournament you get treated like you won 55 and if another team actually won 55 you get whatever playoff spot over them.

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
Wanna be Eurocup/Euroleague shyt:mjlol:

A team from Spain would play a team all the way from England. Teams that rarely play against each other. The crowds really be into it. Has a college atmosphere.

This NBA shyt ain't gonna be all that exciting because these teams play each other all the time :unimpressed:

concise

Veteran
Daps
This starts tonight, they're doing the group play phase, but let me get this straight.
If you WIN and advance to the knockout round, you end up playing tougher teams in games that count towards your regular season record?
So let's say the Knicks go all out, advance to the knockout round, then get seeded against the nuggets, the bucks, the celtics, whatever.
They gotta play extra games against the best teams in the league, end up going 0-2 in some games that actually count towards their overall record, and could end up in the play-in bracket by 1 game because they succeeded in the in-season tournament?
Whereas they could just throw a game or 2 in the group play phase and end up in the "losers bracket" and actually lighten the load pause of their regular season schedule by playing shytty teams?
And the ultimate prize is really just playing an extra game, because its not like you get a high seed or a draft pick or anything, you just get an extra game to blow out your achilles in a league where guys already sit on sundays just cause?
Lol, this shyt should be called the load management invitational, because it seems like they somehow managed to throw some shyt together THAT LITERALLY INCENTIVIZES LOSING AND RESTING MORE THAN IT ALREADY IS.

lol, if you put it this way, maybe they should guarantee the winner a playoff spot :dead:

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
If there’s not gonna be any real stakes in this thing I don’t see how players and thereby fans will care like the league hopes. I’m a basketball head so I’ll keep my eyes on it though.