NBA To Announcement Details Of In-Season Tournament

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
And the reason the play-in is a success is because your playing for a spot in the playoffs. This NBA cup nonsense has no effects on a team's playoff seeding or anything.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
how are you going to try and copy soccer cup tournaments in a closed league where everyone plays each other anyway. soccer teams aren't necessarily playing the same teams (you can end up playing teams from your league, but the majority of the teams starting out aren't from your league). open it to every professional basketball team and then you might have something like the FA Cup. then later a basketball champions league would need participants from other top basketball leagues.

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
Because the victories (And losses) during the season counts towards the regular season record(s).
I see that your problem is comprehension…I said the RESULTS (read) winning the in-season tournament has nothing to do with winning in the postseason.
Yall tryna make it seem like this tournament breaks the season down into two different seasons or leagues or as if this in season tournament is some type of preseason shyt.
This is as stupid as saying because a team goes on 5 game win streak in January that means there’s some major implication on their title prospects :mjlol: It’s a handful of regular season games at the start of the season ..the two entities are separate accomplishments. A team can not make it out of group play and still obviously win a title it’s completely moronic to connect the two things to begin with.

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
$500k is trash incentive
It's fine for players but need something more enticing than that for fans
Like they literally said the final doesn't count for anything at all. It's an extra game that doesn't even have stats recorded. Why should I care they won some trophy they just made up yesterday?

I really like the idea of the winning team gaining an extra lottery pick, even if it has the lowest odds it adds some spice to it.

Guaranteeing home court or even a playoff spot is way too much though

I've already had my fill of that trash in Summer League (not those specific players, just the very low level of basketball being played in Summer League)
No chance NBA let's any teams field bullshyt like that out for this tournament
Summer League is definitely trash.

I know some of these players are months removed from playing in college, but these games are almost as tough to watch as most college games.

And you are 100% right about the in-season tournament in regards to fans. As far as I'm concerned, these are just regular season games with some irrelevant trophy. You're an in-season champion. Let's have a parade:krs:

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
how are you going to try and copy soccer cup tournaments in a closed league where everyone plays each other anyway. soccer teams aren't necessarily playing the same teams (you can end up playing teams from your league, but the majority of the teams starting out aren't from your league). open it to every professional basketball team and then you might have something like the FA Cup. then later a basketball champions league would need participants from other top basketball leagues.
I like how basketball does this overseas. In euroleague, a team from Turkey will play a team from France, etc. Teams that are from different leagues.

This NBA shyt is goofy

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I like how basketball does this overseas. In euroleague, a team from Turkey will play a team from France, etc. Teams that are from different leagues.

This NBA shyt is goofy
Yeah because they were going to do that in one year instead of starting here.

badboys11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
M
This doesn't make any sense

It can be so simple. Eliminate the preseason schedule no one cares about, hold a double elimination tournament played on a handful of potential expansion team courts. Championship/later round games get played in the official NBA arenas. Everyone wants to see the new teams going into the new season, this provides the opportunity. 2 losses and it's back to training camp til the regular season.

This is basically just a random collection of games, and with it only being 4 games total tie breakers will decide mostly all the knockout round matchups. 500k is nothing to an NBA player (actually 250k after taxes), and the Vegas crowd will be full of casuals with no team allegiance

Your team gets eliminated, nothing changes to your schedule. On to the next game. Stupid money grab at it's best

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
Why you getting so upset at him for asking questions :dead:
I don’t care for incompetence, maybe you do :francis:
That shyt on ESPN was vague as hell. The article @Paper Boi posted had way more info.

nikkas gotta stop belittling folks for seeking knowledge on anything
the information on the tournament has been out long before this “special” if nikkas were actually intellectually curious instead of crying about “buhh buh dis stuuupid” you would have already had your answers

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I don’t care for incompetence, maybe you do :francis:

the information on the tournament has been out long before this “special” if nikkas were actually intellectually curious instead of crying about “buhh buh dis stuuupid” you would have already had your answers

Where was the info available at :comeon:
This is the 1st time they give the actual details of how it will work

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
Where was the info available at :comeon:
This is the 1st time they give the actual details of how it will work
The essentials of the tournament (group play element, the regular season games element etc etc) were literally reported on by several people that cover the NBA when it was initially announced..again if nikkas actually cared about basketball you would know that ..the fact that you nikkas are proudly exposing the ignorance because you were too busy crying about “ewwww dis different” over the last several months instead of educating yourself is exactly what the fukk i’m talking about :mjlol:

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
You spit a very agreeable point here. I think the nba should look into helping other basketball leagues imo, cause I still think it’s very sad for players trying to go pro to have to leave the country if they don’t make the Leauge or play at some virtually underground Leauge basically part time like the tbl or aba, it shows how backwards and child obsessed hoop culture is where your best non-nba shot is being a top OTE prospect, it’s shameful really and makes me understand why so many international players are catching up in the leauge

fifth column

Superstar
Daps
Like Henry Ford once said, if you ask people what they wanted to improve transportation they would say faster horses. This tournament has nothing to do with players instead it’s a long term business/content play by the NBA. This in-season tournament gives consumers more outcomes to wager on and more content to drive which helps long term interest in the game. If you study business then you already know there’s risk involved so it might or might not work.