NBA To Announcement Details Of In-Season Tournament

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
Works in Europe at all the top soccer leagues…
In Europe is there an 82 game season since the year 2003 every round of the playoffs went to best of seven where to win the championship you need 16 wins.

Add in the play in which could be 1 to 3 games (7 vs 8 then 9 vs 10 then another game between the losers) which don’t even count stats wise

Also is there game minimums required for rewards these guys have to play at minimum 62 games

This upcoming season was supposed to be the first season without any of the weirdness from COVID like the shortened seasons and the rushed break between them because the last two seasons were bumped up the 2022 season started 9 weeks (two months) after the 2021 season remember the players wanted to start the season on MLK day in Honor of MLK but it was started in October (the condensed schedule had went against CBA rules where teams were playing games with as low as 12 hour turnarounds)

2012 they did away with division leaders having the playoff seeding advantage

fukk Adam Silver

If the league can pay Dame 55 million a year (in 2026 he will make 63 million a year) how much are these owners really making especially considering how every year they make changes to the CBA like how now there’s a double luxury tax system and shorter contracts it’s too much fukkery they doing

There has not been a repeat champion since the KD Warriors so yes they have manipulated the mechanisms of the league too much

Last season they started to give out conference MVPs

Winning team their players get 500,000 when we talking about multi millionaires so it’s really all for nothing

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
I've said it before, but if a lot of you nikkas ran the league, we would never have had a three point line and players wouldn't be allowed to dunk. Just a bunch of people who never actually come up with ideas but for damn sure will be there to automatically shyt on the ideas other people come up with.

There's literally nothing wrong with this. "Who cares", "this is corny" don't convey anything wrong about the existence of this. The only possible negative that would be slightly legit is the idea of the championship being an extra game where injury would be possible. That is the literal only possible "bad" thing about this tournament.
You are comparing change of game rules to an extra trophy. Come on now...

Do you watch summer league where there's a champion and mvp? Do you pay attention to preseason records?

In Europe this model works because in some countries at best there are couple teams that make it to biggest European leagues, so an extra local tournament is good for others teams to have more competitive games against legit teams. Like for example in Spain there are teams that would love an extra game against Madrid Real or Barcelona, if possible. And beating those teams for any kind of trophy would be huge for smaller budget teams.

For example, this year in Spanish Copa del Rey, the top 8 teams played each other in one game elimination format. The team that's not in actual Euroleague, Unicaja Malaga, did beat both Real and Barcelona. That was huge for a team that wasn't participating in the biggest European league.

In NBA model, every team has exact same amount of games and every team has a chance to compete against each other team.

I'd rather see a tournament where some NBA teams try competitive games against the best of Euroleague.

Last edited:

GilSho

Veteran
Daps
The Play-In turned out to be a success and I think the NBA Cup will be too.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
$500k is trash incentive
It's fine for players but need something more enticing than that for fans
Like they literally said the final doesn't count for anything at all. It's an extra game that doesn't even have stats recorded. Why should I care they won some trophy they just made up yesterday?

I really like the idea of the winning team gaining an extra lottery pick, even if it has the lowest odds it adds some spice to it.

Guaranteeing home court or even a playoff spot is way too much though

Because people will tune in in droves to see Justin Champagnie and Scotty Pippen Jr. ball out of control :unimpressed:
I've already had my fill of that trash in Summer League (not those specific players, just the very low level of basketball being played in Summer League)
No chance NBA let's any teams field bullshyt like that out for this tournament

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
Why are you connecting the in season tournament with the post season to begin with when the results of the two have nothing to do with each other :mjlol:

The in season tournament is the i season tournament the post season is the post season …I didn’t think this would be such a hard concept for layman’s to comprehend lol
Because the victories (And losses) during the season counts towards the regular season record(s).

Yall tryna make it seem like this tournament breaks the season down into two different seasons or leagues or as if this in season tournament is some type of preseason shyt.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Midseason winner might not even make the playoffs
If you don't get in then you don't get to use that. Right now there's zero stakes to this thing for fans. They're doing this and talking about being excited but they haven't explained why fans should care. The common fan just gonna wonder why they should care about this when it doesn't change anything from their perspective. There needs to pe a prize fans see some value in.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Because the victories (And losses) during the season counts towards the regular season record(s).

Yall tryna make it seem like this tournament breaks the season down into two different seasons or leagues or as if this in season tournament is some type of preseason shyt.
So basically it's just regular season games. No need for this then. They clearly want fans excited for this to make it a big event. Players getting a $500K prize won't do that.

I mean if they don't care if the fans care and are just doing it for the players that's different but I think we all know they want this to blow up and they haven't came up with a reason for that to happen.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
draft picks where a team could end up drafting a player that will take someone's job is not going to incentivize players then way that you think it will.

money is the only thing that works. $500k will be enough for almost everyone in the league except for maybe a super rich aging superstar like LeBron, but since it's tied to regular season wins and losses it really shouldn't make a difference either way.
That pick can also obv be flipped for a superstar player. I could see LeBron wanting to use a pick like that to say “go get Harden” or someone that might shake loose for a lotto pick. Would it aid in building more super teams? Sure! But that’s what the league is allowing so might as well lean fully into it :manny: