NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

2legit

Superstar
Daps
The NBA survived for 50+ years without Inside the NBA, they will be fine

And people watching shows like Inside the NBA & First Take while not actually watching games speaks volumes as to why NBA discourse is in the gutter today
Shaq and Chuck (alongside SAS and Skip) are the primary reason why the NBA discourse is so terrible. I'm convinced that Shaq and Chuck do not any NBA games outside of the days they work. I would bet that Shaq ain't even watching some of the TNT games he works on. It's not fair to the current NBA product that these oldheads put zero respect into the current players.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Yes and no

But if you’re relying on your basketball takes from people who don’t watch games themselves, is it not a losing battle already?

Personally I watch Inside the NBA, and listen to NBA Radio on Sirius daily. I feel as though I can watch and listen to the shows there and miss absolutely nothing.

Once the league essentially told me that any individual game doesn't matter I decided to not watch as much.

IMO the league has a couple major problems.....
- individual games are now meaningless
- the 3 point shot and analytics have made every team play the same game
- Most broadcasts outside of TNT are amateur level.

They gotta fix all that if they want me to watch again regularly.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Fair point - Ernie's pushing 70 though... maybe he sees this as a good point to retire?

I can see possible retirement.

The whole TNT/NBA TV crew and employees are done with this deal. That's a lot of jobs gone because of Zaslav's dumbass.

Dunno what TNT gonna do with that space now. shyt was literally across the street from our basketball arena at GTech on 10th street. The whole studio. Man this is fukkin ridiculous.

We don't need the NBA :snoop:

triplehate

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ECU
Personally I watch Inside the NBA, and listen to NBA Radio on Sirius daily. I feel as though I can watch and listen to the shows there and miss absolutely nothing.

Once the league essentially told me that any individual game doesn't matter I decided to not watch as much.

:whoa: try not to think about that or you'll stop watching regular season games in all sports. It was just marketing, 1 game never mattered. We were victims

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Sure you can keep up with what’s going on around the league that way but it’s not the same as actually watching games and being able to form your own opinion.

And I think that plays a big role to the issues today with NBA discourse as people are not watching games and just regurgitating whatever narratives they hear from talking heads. Happens in all sports but I think it’s impacting the NBA more than others

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I can see possible retirement.

The whole TNT/NBA TV crew and employees are done with this deal. That's a lot of jobs gone because of Zaslav's dumbass.

Dunno what TNT gonna do with that space now. shyt was literally across the street from our basketball arena at GTech on 10th street. The whole studio. Man this is fukkin ridiculous.

We don't need the NBA :snoop:

NBATV is a good point, because maybe I missed it but if Turner is losing rights then is NBATV folding too or will one of Amazon/NBC take over production?

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Sure you can keep up with what’s going on around the league that way but it’s not the same as actually watching games and being able to form your own opinion.

And I think that plays a big role to the issues today with NBA discourse as people are not watching games and just regurgitating whatever narratives they hear from talking heads. Happens in all sports but I think it’s impacting the NBA more than others
It's led to the casuals driving most of the narratives. Like somebody who catches a few games here and there can watch a 5 minute clip of Gilbert Arenas saying "Nikola Jokic is the worst multi time MVP in NBA history!!!" and form their opinion that way. Keep in mind they've probably only seen Jokic in the playoffs, now after the Nuggets get eliminated that opinion can feel verified. Yet they can't tell you why they lost, how Denver's role players were neutralized, how Minnesota attacked on defense at 94 feet and trapping. It's become kind of a thing where people tune into these hot take shows and postgame shows to validate an opinion.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's led to the casuals driving most of the narratives. Like somebody who catches a few games here and there can watch a 5 minute clip of Gilbert Arenas saying "Nikola Jokic is the worst multi time MVP in NBA history!!!" and form their opinion that way. Keep in mind they've probably only seen Jokic in the playoffs, now after the Nuggets get eliminated that opinion can feel verified. Yet they can't tell you why they lost, how Denver's role players were neutralized, how Minnesota attacked on defense at 94 feet and trapping. It's become kind of a thing where people tune into these hot take shows and postgame shows to validate an opinion.

Yeah and it’s cool that everybody isn’t gonna be a diehard. People got other shyt going on in their lives, other interests, etc. So I got no issue whatsoever with people following the league in whatever works best for them

But it’s just too much BS surrounding the NBA with the wrong voices getting amplified and having influence