NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

KnickstapeCity

:mjpls:
Daps
Reppin
New York
Can any of you brehs explain to me why can’t someone like Amazon or Apple drop a bag and have the entire deal to themselves? What’s stopping them?

NOT WORRIED ABOUT ANY OF THOSE GUYS.

BREEN WAS ONLY TOLERABLE
WHEN PAIRED WITH MARK/JVG.

HE'S NOTHING SPECIAL WITH
DORIS/JJ

NBC HAS ALWAYS PRODUCED
A GREAT BROADCAST REGARDLESS
OF THE SPORT SO IM NOT
CONCERNED ABOUT WHO THEY BRING IN.

THAT WAS MY POINT.

LEFKOE SUCKS AND THAT SHOW
WAS STILL FINE.

YOU CAN INSERT ANY RANDOM
WHITE GUY IN THAT ROLE
AND LET THE REAL TALENT COOK.
:devil:
:evil:

:gucci: Chill. Breen got a big dikk, breh. That Breen and Clyde combo is just deadly.

Last edited:

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Can any of you brehs explain to me why can’t someone like Amazon or Apple drop a bag and have the entire deal to themselves? What’s stopping them?

Nothing is stopping them, but I don't think the NBA is prepared yet to have their games not shown on broadcast TV and behind a walled garden. It's going to happen eventually, but not for another 20-30 years(IMO)

calh45

Cal
Daps

:gucci: Chill. Breen got a big dikk, breh. That Breen and Clyde combo is just deadly.

They have the money, but none of these companies know if whatever they pay out will bring the return. That's the core problem. Amazon is not going to pay $6-$7 billion per year for everything if they don't think they can monetize it to the point where it'll be break even or better. The same with Apple......except I think Apple is learning from the MLS deal that paying for everything ain't the way to go.

Amazon paying $1B per season for Thursday Night Football, but I'm sure the NFL had numbers on their side because they ran it themselves to show the return because people watch regular season football. NBA fandom has super hardcore fans, but their peaks and valleys are driven by casual watchers. That's why they want stars and big cities in the NBA finals and a lot of folks don't really be paying attention to the regular season now with the rings or bust plus load management culture. That's why I think Inside the NBA is sneakily more valuable than people realize (casuals LOVE that show). That's too volatile of a fandom to buy all of the rights and hope that the right matchup will want to drive people to watch.......or that's what I think.

Edit: For Amazon, it'd probably make more sense to see if they could buy the right to League Pass and let WB keep the overall broadcast rights. League Pass is just a simulcast of the local broadcast.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
They have the money, but none of these companies know if whatever they pay out will bring the return. That's the core problem. Amazon is not going to pay $6-$7 billion per year for everything if they don't think they can monetize it to the point where it'll be break even or better. The same with Apple......except I think Apple is learning from the MLS deal that paying for everything ain't the way to go.

Amazon paying $1B per season for Thursday Night Football, but I'm sure the NFL had numbers on their side because they ran it themselves to show the return because people watch regular season football.
NBA fandom has super hardcore fans, but their peaks and valleys are driven by casual watchers. That's why they want stars and big cities in the NBA finals and a lot of folks don't really be paying attention to the regular season now with the rings or bust plus load management culture. That's why I think Inside the NBA is sneakily more valuable than people realize (casuals LOVE that show). That's too volatile of a fandom to buy all of the rights and hope that the right matchup will want to drive people to watch.......or that's what I think.

Edit: For Amazon, it'd probably make more sense to see if they could buy the right to League Pass and let WB keep the overall broadcast rights. League Pass is just a simulcast of the local broadcast.
Even then, the only reason Amazon even ended up with TNF is because television networks balked at the NFL’s asking price as the ROI just wasn’t there.

Those streamers were essentially bidding against themselves for it.