NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Per Bill Simmons, the NBA going back to NBC is a done deal, and TNT is out after next season.

He said he isnt sure why the NBA is waiting to announce the new deal at this point.
We’ll see

And if he’s wrong, no one will hold him accountable :francis:

Say shyt, ends up not true, cite bad sources, keep it moving

Journalism 2024

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
WBD has a more compelling case matching with Amazon

HBO Max has 100M subs and you have the TNT cable network which is in 70M households.

WBD is also operating NBATV.

Amazon has unlimited pockets and 150M subs. But zero linear reach.
Coming in here to say this. The whole being able to reach more people argument that NBC has works the opposite with with Amazon.

Forsaken

All Star
Daps
Per Bill Simmons, the NBA going back to NBC is a done deal, and TNT is out after next season.

He said he isnt sure why the NBA is waiting to announce the new deal at this point.
Figured since it was taking so long. Doesn't Comcast own multiple RSNs too?

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Figured since it was taking so long. Doesn't Comcast own multiple RSNs too?
Yes and they’re profitable from what I’ve read.

NBC Sports Boston
NBC Sports Philadelphia
NBC Sports Chicago
NBC Sports California
NBC Sports Bay Area

The Chicago one is losing broadcasting rights to all those teams so it’ll probably be shut down.

NBC Sports Washington was sold to Ted Leonsis and is now Monumental Sports Network.

calh45

Cal
Daps
Even then, the only reason Amazon even ended up with TNF is because television networks balked at the NFL’s asking price as the ROI just wasn’t there.

Those streamers were essentially bidding against themselves for it.

Sure, but it's much easier to see ROI on 11 million viewers per game vs 1.4 million viewers per game. The NBA is asking for double what the NFL asked for with a package that is going to have less total viewers. I think in the end $1 billion for 15 NFL regular season games makes sense pricing wise considering they don't get playoffs nor are they included in the Super Bowl cycle nor do they get to flex games (The NFL can, but Amazon can't like the other networks). I don't think it makes sense to pay $2B+ for a few exclusive games per week over a 19 week season while also needing to pay for all of the infrastructure of broadcasting.

The NBA needs Amazon more than Amazon needs the NBA in this case because they allow a bit more leverage against TNT. I don't think Zaslav's math on this is wrong. TNT won't have buyer's remorse if they decide to match and the NBA picks them, but if Amazon's is chosen and there is buyer's remorse like Apple with MLS it's going to kill future TV deals.

I've always thought the streamers are all trying to figure out a way to buy themselves into the Super Bowl cycle because that's the crown jewel of US sports, everyone knows it, and the NFL is going to charge a premium to be added to that list. ESPN paid extra for ABC to get added to the cycle. If Amazon doesn't get the NBA package I don't think they'll be heartbroken because they have TNF which is 165 million viewers per season and a pathway to bid on NFL playoffs.

Forsaken

All Star
Daps
Sure, but it's much easier to see ROI on 11 million viewers per game vs 1.4 million viewers per game. The NBA is asking for double what the NFL asked for with a package that is going to have less total viewers. I think in the end $1 billion for 15 NFL regular season games makes sense pricing wise considering they don't get playoffs nor are they included in the Super Bowl cycle nor do they get to flex games (The NFL can, but Amazon can't like the other networks). I don't think it makes sense to pay $2B+ for a few exclusive games per week over a 19 week season while also needing to pay for all of the infrastructure of broadcasting.

The NBA needs Amazon more than Amazon needs the NBA in this case because they allow a bit more leverage against TNT. I don't think Zaslav's math on this is wrong. TNT won't have buyer's remorse if they decide to match and the NBA picks them, but if Amazon's is chosen and there is buyer's remorse like Apple with MLS it's going to kill future TV deals.

I've always thought the streamers are all trying to figure out a way to buy themselves into the Super Bowl cycle because that's the crown jewel of US sports, everyone knows it, and the NFL is going to charge a premium to be added to that list. ESPN paid extra for ABC to get added to the cycle. If Amazon doesn't get the NBA package I don't think they'll be heartbroken because they have TNF which is 165 million viewers per season and a pathway to bid on NFL playoffs.
Deal is 10 yrs long. NBC playing the long game.

I will order peacock depending on how many NBA games they get. I assume peacock games will be blacked out like TNT.